PDA

View Full Version : New FG2 Owner/DM.. Question..

Ictinike
March 23rd, 2011, 18:57
Greetings!

I've just jumped on board with FG2 with an Ultimate so I can host some PnP games for a guild I am part of. From the *gasp*'s and *oh wow*'s I've been getting thus far, from those I've shown demo/screenshots, I getting excited to get into the meat and roll up a module or two.

So far, from the wonderful resources in this community, I've gone and scraped various D&DI books and get them to compile in the various library modules including PHB, MM and others however the one thing I'm having the biggest issue with to-date are the character sheets.

Any character I've made or had guild mates create while connected seems to go well except even after entering their data, either hand entered or drag-drop items from the libraries, we cannot seem to understand why particular fields are not working. Some examples would be Speed, Initiative as well anything we enter for Weapons (on the Combat) tab won't show in the CTracker.

It boggles me so thought I would ask here. I can show screenshots if needed as I'm sure it's totally something we are overlooking but then again I'm pretty resourceful and diligent in details, lol.

Thanks!
~Ictinike

gmkieran
March 23rd, 2011, 21:00
Welcome to the madness!!!

It would help to know which ruleset you're working in, as nearly everything to do with character sheets is handled by the ruleset, rather than the base program. Under the assumption that you're using 4e, I believe all the fields you mentioned are ones the ruleset populates based on other fields and are un-editable. If they're not populating/appearing in the CT, it may be because the dependent fields haven't been filled out, yet. Let us know what ruleset and it wouldn't hurt to post one or two of the screenshots for reference.

cheers!
gmkieran

Ictinike
March 23rd, 2011, 21:58
Welcome to the madness!!!

It would help to know which ruleset you're working in, as nearly everything to do with character sheets is handled by the ruleset, rather than the base program. Under the assumption that you're using 4e, I believe all the fields you mentioned are ones the ruleset populates based on other fields and are un-editable. If they're not populating/appearing in the CT, it may be because the dependent fields haven't been filled out, yet. Let us know what ruleset and it wouldn't hurt to post one or two of the screenshots for reference.

cheers!
gmkieran

gmkieran,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, ruleset is 4E and I've included a few screen shots of what's going on. I did however figure out Speed as that was my overlooking the Base Speed box on the Combat tab :)

As for the attacks in the CT let me explain, and maybe it's the way it's supposed to be and I'm just thinking something wrongs, but when creatures are added to the CT and the click made to show their attacks pressed (or all within the CT) I see the creatures base attacks such as Bite for a wolf, however, for my PC who has the character sheet filled out; it does not.

I went back and re-reviewed the video tutorials by Xoren to see if I had missed anything but I'm not seeing it yet if I have. For reference the 3 screenshots show my DM client as well a PC client on the same desktop. You can see the character sheet tabs in the progression of the images as well each have the CT for reference.

I see nothing in the PC, Valgorn's, ATK: line on the CT from the DM client and maybe that's right. I was thinking possibly it would be there as well to roll from a double click, like the creatures the DM controls, but maybe it's something the players are to do via their character sheet or dragging using the hotbars. Again, maybe this is just me but being new I figured I spent a good few hours trying and retrying things I should just ask :)

Thanks!

Zeus
March 23rd, 2011, 22:31
Ictinike - PC's attacks don't show in the CT as per NPCs. This is because the DM only needs to see the powers/attacks for the NPCs he/she is running. The players control the PCs.

The players will predominantly use their PC character sheets for initiating attacks/powers.

The CT window is intended as a tracking aid for players e.g. understanding who's turn it is or determining health status of the party. Whereas the CT for the DM is also the main launch point for NPC based actions. Hopefully this makes sense.

If you compare the the players CT window with that of the DM you will note the DM's version contains a lot more information as well as controls that can be interacted with (right click the MENU button).

I guess another reason for not including Player Attacks/Powers in the CT is that as PC's progress in level they can amass quite a selection and thus listing them in the CT entry window might be come unmanageable.

Ictinike
March 23rd, 2011, 22:38
Ictinike - PC's attacks don't show in the CT as per NPCs. This is because the DM only needs to see the powers/attacks for the NPCs he/she is running. The players control the PCs.

The players will predominantly use their PC character sheets for initiating attacks/powers.

The CT window is intended as a tracking aid for players e.g. understanding who's turn it is or determining health status of the party. Whereas the CT for the DM is also the main launch point for NPC based actions. Hopefully this makes sense.

Yes clearly. After posting this initial post and re-thinking I had a sneaking suspicion that was the answer but instead of just wondering from now till whenever I figured I would ask :)

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
If you compare the the players CT window with that of the DM you will note the DM's version contains a lot more information as well as controls that can be interacted with (right click the MENU button).

I guess another reason for not including Player Attacks/Powers in the CT is that as PC's progress in level they can amass quite a selection and thus listing them in the CT entry window might be come unmanageable.

Hadn't thought about it that way and clearly agree as characters progress and gain powers the DM CT would be clearly over-run with information and the likely hood of a possible fat-finger would ensue.

Ok then, my thanks to both of you and a better understanding. Always better to ask then get in a situation within a game wondering `huh?` I always say :)

Building the new Red Box encounter's into a module for us to play initially. Some old time (>20 years since last played) as well new players showing interest. It's been quite awhile since I've DM'ed (>18 years) as well so the software, remembering how to play all the while trying to teach new players is going to have me a bit stressed, lol. Well, back to building that module and, again, thank you for the replies!

Cheers,
~Ictinike

Zeus
March 23rd, 2011, 23:04
No worries.

And I completely forgot to welcome you to the FGII community, and so welcome. There is a thriving 4E community here and I'm sure you and your players will come to love FGII just as much as the rest of us have come to.

If you need some tips or just looking for a quick pointer, this is definitely the right place to ask, no need to feel shy.

For me, FGII has enabled me to continue enjoying RPGs, in particular D&D as life has unfortunately made it very difficult to continue with F2F games. In addition through FGII I have met players from all around the world as well as widen my appreciation for the RPG industry as a whole.

For me the community and devs here have become part of my extended family. :)

Viva la Fantasy Grounds II ...

[EDIT] You might also find the FGII IRC server a useful place to visit if your ever in need of immediate help. Its linked here on the forums but its easily missed - https://fg2.rpg-vault.net/