PDA

View Full Version : what is best to buy or do for my group?

tattoocory
March 23rd, 2011, 00:03
This is a question more for the programers or admistrators of FG2.

As some of you may know from prior posts, I do not use FG for online play, however, I use the program as my DM screen and have used it linked to a seperate monitor, so that I can run both the Game Master side on my laptop and a Player side on the monitor for my players to see maps and more.

Finally, all my players have laptops, and therefore I am finally looking forward to the day that each player can have fantasy grounds running on their laptop before them at the game table. The best benifit to this will be that each player will have control of what things they see, what private messages they send to eachother and myself, and vise-versa. Alas, no more folding notes and asking everyone to play the pass the note game.

So, here is my question: I currently own FG2 Full license. Will each player need to purchase the Lite license for us to do this or can they run copies of mine on their laptops? (i understand this might be a no-no, but I only ask, because I know already my players are not as inlove with this progam as I, and none of use will be using it outside of our own tabletop group, i.e. no online play... sorry, not my cup of tea) Could I acomplish my goals if I alone purchase the Ultimate license (not really even sure what the difference is). If each player will need to purchase a lite license, is there a way to get a bundle package without the full license since I already own it? I have 6 players.

Leonal
March 23rd, 2011, 02:04
(not a programmer or an admin)
The discount effect comes as soon as you add more than one license to the store. So if you add 6 Lite licenses the result will be significantly cheaper than an Ultimate license:

Fantasy Grounds II Lite License 6 $23.95
Bundle discount: $50.29
Total: $93.41

You will have to buy them as one order to get the discount, though.

unerwünscht
March 23rd, 2011, 03:18
(Not a programmer or an admin either... however I started out EXACTLY like you)

I bought a GM license and 5 lite license for my face to face gaming group. As the years have rolled on I wish they would have had the ultimate license when I made my purchase. To date, I still talk to 2 of the other people from that gaming group, and none of us have time for face-to-face gaming anymore.... just something to think about.

Alcatar
April 12th, 2011, 01:23
(not a programmer or an admin)

Two ways of playing it:

There's the Ultimate Licence, which allows you to join any game using FG and host games over FG which ANY person can join (even unregistered users).
Costs about $150
Downsides are your group cannot join OTHER FG games, only those hosted by Ultimate Licence holders.
Unless they are really into it, it might also be hard to have them contribute to (basically) "your" licence.

There's the Full Licence in addition to Lite Licences for each player, which allows you to join any game using FG and so can your group members.
Costs about $24
You can only host games for Lite/Full/Ultimate Licence holders (not unregistered users) and your group members cannot host games but they can join any FG-hosted game.
The cost of your group's use of FG is spread and a discount for bundle purchase is possible.

Weigh the options and decide for yourself. I've only known of and had FG for a week.