PDA

View Full Version : Router

Mask_of_winter
March 22nd, 2011, 16:47
I hosted sessions on FG2 for over a year before I installed a router at home. I reopened port 1802 and the port is also opened on my firewall.

Everytime I run the Connection Test in the load campaign menu it fails.

PCflank tells me tcp port 1802 is stealthed. I'm using windows firewall.

Everything ran fine until I set up a router.

Anybody has any idea what the problem is? I'd like to be able to host again.

Thanks in advance.

Dershem
March 22nd, 2011, 19:20
Well hamachi is free if you can't figure it out. works well everyone just has to have it.

Zeus
March 22nd, 2011, 19:38
A stealthed port usually means that the FW/router is enabled to allow traffic to flow on the specified port but no software is running on the designated host system that is listening or waiting to service the request.

Check to make sure that you are forwarding the port traffic to the correct LAN IP of the PC that is hosting FGII (check Port Forwarding setup on your router). Also ensure that FGII is running and the campaign is started.

CAPryde
March 23rd, 2011, 00:14
Have you set up the port forwarding function on the router?

Mask_of_winter
March 23rd, 2011, 02:06
Thank you Zeus. I'll have someone try to connect to me again with the tips you just gave me. I was running out of ideas.

Dayson
March 23rd, 2011, 03:08
I am glad to see that youre getting back into FGII and overcomming your router issue.

Mask_of_winter
March 23rd, 2011, 03:14
I'm trying to Ron. I will need your help testing it out. Right now I dont know if it works.

Mask_of_winter
March 23rd, 2011, 17:22
https://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/Eric_Lamoureux12/Router.jpg
https://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/Eric_Lamoureux12/pcflank.jpg
https://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/Eric_Lamoureux12/firewall.jpg
https://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/Eric_Lamoureux12/FG2.jpg
https://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/Eric_Lamoureux12/Modem.jpg

I've had no success with these settings. Note that the the window with the Verizon logo was accessed with 192.168.1.1 which is my modem and the cisco window with 192.168.5.1 is my router. Also, the port forwarding test was performed while a campaign was running.

I've heard of himachi but would rather not go that route. I dont want to burden players with that. Along with ventrilo and skype it would mean one more thing to set up before we can play. With my open table policy, I'd hate to have to help newcomers in the middle of a game.

Anybody has any idea what else I should try?

Zeus
March 23rd, 2011, 22:53
Wow, you must be seriously concerned with network security as you are at present running a triple FW setup!!!

Verizon Modem has a FW and its enabled.
Linksys Router incorporates NAT and SPI Firewall
FGII XP host is running Windows Firewall

With so many layers of security I am not surprised your getting connectivity issues. :eek:

In general one FW per home LAN is more than enough, although for the security concerned individual, having two is considered to be better.

So, first question - is this intentional? Do you really need 3 layers of security?

If not, I would suggest disabling one layer and focusing on getting the other two to work. I would suggest removing the Windows Firewall layer - its not a particularly good solution and as its made by Microsoft and ships with everyone of their OS products makes it a prime target for 99.9999999% of the world's hackers and exploiters.

Its of course up to you, but at the very least try temporarily disabling one of the three layers and seeing if it makes a difference. Narrowing it down will help you to identify the problem layer.

Given the router was added last you could start there, however I assume you added a router for a reason and so therefore suggest you start at the host end, i.e. disable Windows Firewall.

I have a similar setup i.e. Modem with incorporated FW and a router with NAT Firewall. All my hosts have local software FW options disabled, this includes IP Chains (Linux/OSX) and Windows FW (Windows 7).

Mask_of_winter
March 24th, 2011, 01:29
lol no it was not intentional

I set up a router because I wanted a wi-fi network for my ipod. Since I already tried disabling the windows firewall and it didnt work and connectivity issues only started when I installed the router I will turn off the firewall on there and hopefully it will work.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this!

SpudmanWP
March 28th, 2011, 20:44
Try turning off the firewall on the Verizon modem and on the Windows PC. You can also try setting up a DMZ.

Too bad that FG2 does not support UPnP as most routers now do.

If you need some live support, email/pm me to setup a time.

SpudmanWP
ICQ 13162504

Zeus
March 28th, 2011, 22:43
Too bad that FG2 does not support UPnP as most routers now do.

FGII does support UPnP, monn_wizard added support for it several releases back.

The challenge of course is that not all routers support it properly or implement UPnP poorly. The results are thererfore mixed with some routers working out of the box and others not.

SpudmanWP
March 28th, 2011, 22:48
Thanks, missed that.