PDA

View Full Version : Two Weeks After Purchase, FG2 Refuses To Start

listlurker
March 20th, 2011, 05:11
The general stuff first:

- I'm running a high-end desktop which uses Win 7 x64; a system which exceeds FG2's reqs across the board.

- my drivers are up-to-date.

- the necessary TCP ports in my Firewall are open.

- the only major system change? I installed Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, which can't be removed once installed. If you ask me to re-install my entire system just to make FG2 work, I may be tempted to succcumb to abusive language.

The specifics:

- I bought the Full License version of FG2 on March 5th, and it appeared to work fine.

- I went away for awhile, partly to familiarize myself with the finer points of the program, and how it works.

- came back today (March 19) ready to start building my first module, and FG2 won't let me do anything except "Manage Characters". The Start button is greyed-out for anything else.

- Any attempt to load the "Tale at Dinor" example campaign receives the message: "Could not load ruleset root file base.xml. Do you want to try reloading the data?" Saying Yes to reloading the data receives the same message.

- I've tried re-installing FG2 five times tonight, and now the program won't even go to the main menu screen. The "Could not load ruleset root file ..." message comes up instead.

- The bitterest part is that the program appeared to work just fine when I first bought it -- but now that I'm ready to use it, it's useless.

I thank you in advance for any and all solutions you can provide,

LL

ddavison
March 20th, 2011, 15:09
When the Start button is grayed out, it usually means that one of the required fields, such as GM name is not provided. Try providing values for everything and see if the button becomes active. Other than that, the button shows as disabled when the Internet connection is not detected. You can bypass this by double-clicking on the campaign name. I would check the first suggestion though.

A Tale of Dinor is built for the D20 ruleset which is an older ruleset and we've yet to update it to the newer versions. You can install the D20 ruleset by downloading and installing it from the Downloads page.

listlurker
March 20th, 2011, 17:30
Thank you, good sir. The speedy reply was absolutely appreciated.

I've got the program working now, and have been happily hammering away at it. I suspect it doesn't actually want to /connect/ to anything, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Right now, I'm fine with just working on building an adventure.

Again, thanks for the fast assistance. Life's been pretty stressful lately; it's good to have something I can work on which leaves it all behind for a while.

Be well!

Moon Wizard
March 23rd, 2011, 07:28
The disabled start button when attempting to host while not connected to Internet is on my list for v2.8. Essentially, the launcher wants to access the Internet to set your host alias for people to connect to you. I'm working on modifying the launcher so that is not the case.

In the meantime, you need a network connection to host.

Regards,
JPG