PDA

View Full Version : Respect your GM or the hobby dies...

VenomousFiligree
March 16th, 2011, 00:51
For the first time today I wanted to kick a player, for reasons other than connection issues.... :(

All I want in game is common curtesy, if you say you're going to make it but don't turn up explain why.... Don't just turn up at the next session (with no apologies for missing the session and without even confirming on the calendar) and expect me to welcome you with open arms...

And when questioned don't make a wise arse quip :mad:

unerwünscht
March 16th, 2011, 03:00
I think you and I need to get together on a Gaming Ethics Tutorial.

wbcreighton
March 16th, 2011, 06:08
It comes down to showing the same courtesy to your online friends as you show to your FTF friends. There shouldn't be any difference.

Sorry to hear about that, :( gaming is supposed to be fun. :)

VenomousFiligree
March 16th, 2011, 07:34
Not a bad point there unerwünscht!

Not sure why, folk thing they can act differently on the net than they do face to face.

It did put a dampener on the start of the session :(

phantomwhale
March 16th, 2011, 08:24
Sorta related : https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/12/13/

Zeus
March 16th, 2011, 14:51
Not a bad point there unerwünscht!

Not sure why, folk thing they can act differently on the net than they do face to face.

It did put a dampener on the start of the session :(

You think online RPGers can be bad. Try playing an online game on XboxLive :)

I put the behavioural differences down to the fact that some people feel **protected** by their online anonymity, they therefore feel empowered to speak their mind, much more so than they would in real life if they were faced with a confrontation.

I call the the syndrome, XboxLive Balls.

Valarian
March 16th, 2011, 17:53
There's a few articles out there on the web. Worth a read.

https://www.associatedcontent.com/pop_print.shtml?content_type=article&content_type_id=6152706
https://www.angelfire.com/tx/afira/etiquette.html
https://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=167

Blue Haven
March 17th, 2011, 12:35
Lol we have some retards like that in FG community...
Like Dr. Zeuss said...
"I put the behavioural differences down to the fact that some people feel **protected** by their online anonymity, they therefore feel empowered to speak their mind, much more so than they would in real life if they were faced with a confrontation."

In fact i already warned about this type of persons in here...so just be very careful...
Thanks

Dershem
March 18th, 2011, 01:11
Yes, the no shows, or the last minute oh I'm doing something else but I'm online shows a serious lack of respect.

wbcreighton
March 18th, 2011, 19:48
Respect your GM or the hobby dies... could really be changed to be:

Respect your GM ( and other players ) or you're looking for another game to play. Eventually you just run out of options.

VenomousFiligree
March 18th, 2011, 20:00
Respect your GM or the hobby dies... could really be changed to be:

Respect your GM ( and other players ) or you're looking for another game to play. Eventually you just run out of options.
Indeed, I was feeling a bit hacked off when I wrote it :)

primarch
March 19th, 2011, 03:14
Hi!

I agree with the OP. When you join a group you make a commitment for a specific day and time.

We all know life happens, work, wife, kids and a whole host of things can happen and not let you game.

In our modern times it is also very easy to let the GM and group know your not coming and why. There is no excuse not to do so.

I keep it simple. Two unexcused absences and your out. One of the cool things about using FG to play is that there is a whole slew of eager and enthusiastic people willing to jump into an open slot. :)

Primarch

Lysander
March 19th, 2011, 04:55
I've spent several years playing here, and what I've learned is this:

2 out of 5 people I've played with on VTT's are complete flakes...

2 out of 5 are 'okay' but can't really be counted on to any real degree...

1 out of 5 are awesome and well worth my time and effort...

So to get a solid group of 5 players, I've had to trudge thru another 20 that were lacking... Unfortunately, this is the current VTT culture. I hope it changes, but I'm not gonna hold my breath...

VenomousFiligree
March 19th, 2011, 08:15
I keep it simple. Two unexcused absences and your out.
Exactly what I do :)

vell0611
March 19th, 2011, 11:39
In my perspective the respect should be mutual, as I ve managed to run into a DM who turned out to be a complete d****e. But hey, thats the thanks for being always on time and never missing the session. :D

Valarian
March 19th, 2011, 13:46
It does work both ways. If the GM isn't respectful of his players then he will lose players and likewise will end up without anyone willing to play in his games. I've had to cancel games, sometimes at short notice. An email or notice on the calendar let's the players know. I tend to include apology and a reason for the cancellation. In a face to face game, I'd be ringing around.

Dershem
March 19th, 2011, 13:51
I agree and situations happen, i don't have a problem with it, but it's more the attitude that certain folks have of entitlement that really gets me.

Here is an off topic question for you gm's what do you do with players who in your game to to cause problems within the story, ie in d&d terms, good party, player attacks and kills townsfolk, or steals from the patrons that employ them that sort of thing.

VenomousFiligree
March 19th, 2011, 14:19
Here is an off topic question for you gm's what do you do with players who in your game to to cause problems within the story, ie in d&d terms, good party, player attacks and kills townsfolk, or steals from the patrons that employ them that sort of thing.
The City Watch would put a price on the PC(s), possibly dead or alive... Likewise if the PC was caught stealing.

The GM plays the "world" so should act accordingly! :)

Dershem
March 19th, 2011, 17:40
I guess my question is how much do you all put up with a player who has a history of this, the world does act appropriately, but it's just repetitive behavior by the same player.

vell0611
March 19th, 2011, 18:12
You could try to talk to the player and find out why does he act in that manner.

Zeus
March 20th, 2011, 01:20
I always try to remind my players to role play their characters within the scope of their alignment, the consequences of not doing so include, appropriate responses from the society/world they are part of, XP penalties or maybe even a death mark ...

e.g. If a PC with a lawful or good alignment suddenly decides it would be fun to attack the kind patron who has employd him/her:

I might take the view that City Watch may take an interest in his/hers activities and thus impede upon the PC progress is achieveing personal goals

or

I might just decide that the PC is to be XP penalised (-25%) for the remainder of the session.

I find the latter to be quite effective. There's nothing worse than seeing your colleagues Level up whilst your still meandering in mid level land :)