PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Connected

ajporter242
March 14th, 2011, 14:53
Trying to host game last week this is first time we tried it. When I try the run test it fails. I have 1802 ported. Tried the Open Port check tool and it says Error: I could not see your service. Is there any way I can call customer service for help ? What is their number I can't find it anywhere?
Thanks
Aaron Porter

Zeus
March 14th, 2011, 15:19
Trying to host game last week this is first time we tried it. When I try the run test it fails. I have 1802 ported. Tried the Open Port check tool and it says Error: I could not see your service. Is there any way I can call customer service for help ? What is their number I can't find it anywhere?
Thanks
Aaron Porter

You have a port forwarding issue. If you can provide us with some details we can try to assist you. Some questions:

1. Whats the LAN IP (not your external IP) of the PC hosting FGII?
2. In your router configuration where is port 1802 being forwarded to (if at all)? Is it the same IP address as in Q1?
3. What's the make/model of your router
4. Do you have any additional software security programs running? e.g. Windows Firewall?

ajporter242
March 15th, 2011, 00:41
1. 192.168.1.65
2. How do I find this information?
3. Verizon GT704WG
4. Just standard Windows XP firewall nothing more

Zeus
March 15th, 2011, 02:24
OK.

I am not familiar with that particular router, however according to https://www.portforward.com the GT704WG is an Actiontec device. Verizon probably OEM it from Actiontec.

Anyhow as you have router and Windows XP Firewall running you need to ensure:

i) The router is allowing traffic to pass through on port 1802 and that the 1802 traffic is forwarded to your PC running FGII i.e. IP address 192.168.1.65
ii) Windows XP Firewall allows traffic on port 1802

To check the GT704WG is setup correctly, you first need to determine it's IP address. To do this Click Start and run cmd. This should open a DOS window.

In the DOS window enter the command ipconfig. This should output some information relating to the IP configuration of the XP system. Look for the line that reads 'Default Gateway' and note the IP address. This is the LAN IP address of your router.

Now open a web browser and enter the IP address you just noted. This should load the router's web configuration page.

Open a 2nd browser (or tab if your browser supports tabs) and navigate to the following portforward.com page (https://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/GT704-WG/FTP.htm). Follow the guide on the web page to configure the Actiontec router.

The guide uses the FTP service as an example so replace any reference to FTP with something like FGII and replace any reference to port 21 (FTP default port) with 1802 (FGII default port). Also ensure the IP address you forward 1802 traffic to is set to 192.168.1.65.

Once thats complete, open XP Firewall settings and ensure port 1802 is open and retest. Let us know if your now able to get a SUCCESS message from the connection test from within FGII.

ALso note the IP address 192.168.1.65 looks suspiciously like a DHCP assigned address. If you are using DHCP, the IP address your XP machine is using is not statically assigned. This means that every so often, the IP address your XP machine will use may change. When this occurs you will need to update the router's configuration to forward port 1802 traffic to the new IP address.

To avoid this you may want to assign your XP machine with a static IP address that never changes. If you need assistance with this, the let us know and I'll post up a quick how to.

ajporter242
March 17th, 2011, 18:28
typed in https://192.168.1.65/ per websight you sent to me and I get an error. Says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

Zeus
March 17th, 2011, 19:30
192.168.1.65 is the IP address of your PC.

You need to enter the IP address of your ROUTER to access the router config page.

I provided steps to determine the routers IP, open a cmd window and type in ipconfig and note the IP address of the 'Default Gateway'. This is the IP of your router.

Alternatively cut n paste the output of ipconfig into a post and I will direct you to the correct IP.