PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a game

Digital_Zombie
March 14th, 2011, 07:29
Hello, I'm new to the site and new to the online RPG scene. I'm very literate and love to play with my friends but wanted to see if I could give this a shot too.

Games I am interested in playing include:
-Deadlands Reloaded! (especially this)
-Star Wars Saga Edition
-Dungeons and Dragons

Or just about anything else, please I am eager to learn how to use this site and game with others to have a good time and blow off some steam after work. If you are willing to work with a little more on the noobish side for me I will try to not slow anything down. I'm also willing to play most any game or fill in for most any role in a party so please comment or PM me for anything.

phantomwhale
March 14th, 2011, 08:03
Once I've finished off the Deadlands:Reloaded extension, I'll be running a few one-shots to promote / playtest it. But that might not be for a few weeks; hopefully there are other more available opportunities though ! Keep looking around - finding a GOOD game can take a little time, but it's worthwhile.

Digital_Zombie
March 14th, 2011, 08:41
One question that I've come up with since I've been combing through the site so far...Do we have to buy a licence for the fantasy grounds 2? Not that I am apposed to supporting a good thing or paying so little for something I hopefully will have some fun with. I just want to make sure it's worth the investment first since I have never used that before or if I can use it temporarily or even find an alternative route to RPG play like the forums here or something.

Anyway if anyone could clarify that for me too that would be most helpful.

vodokar
March 14th, 2011, 09:02
Unless your game master has an ultimate license (some do, but most don't), you will need at least a lite license to play in a game. If you ever think you will want to game master, go ahead and get the full license.

Is it worth it? Well, if you intend on roleplaying over the internet, Fantasy Grounds is by far the best product out there to do it with. You pay the one time, very reasonable fee and get years of use out of it. In my opinion, a resounding yes. Definitely the best $39 I ever spent.

Sometimes it can take a while to get into a game, but have patience and you'll find one or more to jump in to. There are actually lots of people here running games. Just be patient and don't expect a game to come together over night, is all.

Generally, when you do find a game, you'll play for months or more in the same campaign with the same people. The most popular play schedules of gaming groups seem to be meeting for 4 hours every other week, usually between the hours of 7 pm to 12 pm. Also, most gaming groups use voice over IP programs such as Skype, Team Speak or Ventrillo for communications and giving that "in the same room" feel that a face to face game would have.

There is a demo version of the software. My understanding is that it allows you to test drive it and get familiar with the software, make characters and such, but not to actually connect to a gamemaster's server with it.

phantomwhale
March 14th, 2011, 09:03
There is some info around the forums, certainly, on this. In short, the traditional model was for GMs to own the "full" license, and players to own the "lite" license with upgrade options. More recently a more costly "Ultimate" license has been released, which allows players to connect with an unlicensed (e.g. free) copy of the software.

I suspect anyone running short demo games (which there is a stickied thread about on this very forum) will probably be using an Ultimate license, to allow people to "try before they buy".

How best to showcase FGII is quite a common topic these days, without a very easy answer, but hopefully as a community we'll be getting stronger at this going forward.

wbcreighton
March 14th, 2011, 20:04
Me and a couple of friends responded to a call for players for an intro game of BRP back in October. The GM has the ultimate license and we had only an un-registered download. ( Download the full program but don't pay to register it).

We played 3 or 4 sessions using our un-registered version, and all liked it a lot. We ended up buying 2 full versions and 4 lites to get a package deal.

We now play in a bi-weekly campaign of Savage Worlds ( Dungeon Delve on the game calendar, seeking another player) with the same GM. You can join without having to buy the program.

None of us knew how to play Savage Worlds before we started, but have learned it easily enough.

It was a great way to test it out, and it got us hooked.