PDA

View Full Version : What is needed for D&D 4E

mfitzi
March 9th, 2011, 22:37
Hello, I am just getting started and working to get my friends to buy and play 4E with FG. From what I am seeing WoTC isn't allowing their books to be input to the ruleset for 4E.
-What do I/we need to buy in order to play 4E using FG?
-What comes with with a purchase (as far as D&D rulesets)?
-For 3 players and 1 DM we would need ultimate, correct?
-For the scenario above, what would be the best package if 2 people were to DM (Full)?

Thanks for your help!

Leonal
March 9th, 2011, 23:20
I cannot answer the 4e questions, but if you're three players and one DM I'd recommend getting one full and three lite licenses. Then you also have the option to upgrade to full in the future if one of your players wants to DM.

For 2 DMs just get two full and two lite licenses.
(My group initially got full for everyone as there was no upgrade option available then).

Example:
1 Full and 3 Lites = $90.25 with bundle discount
2 Full and 2 Lites = $103.85 w/ bundle

Fot5
March 10th, 2011, 19:45
Here are my thoughts.

Unless you're going to have a very stable group membership and multiple DMs, you're probably better off with a single ultimate license. Otherwise, the previous post does the math for you.

Concerning 4e, FGII comes with the 4e ruleset, which means that it's ready to utilize data and apply those data in a game setting. However, no data are supplied (e.g., no powers, items, creatures, etc.). You have to create the data yourself, which is very easy to do if you have a DDI subscription, thanks to Tenian's 4e Parser. I created a short video tutorial to show how to install and use the parser to scrape data from a DDI account and then use those data in FGII: https://www.edwolfe.net/dnd/parser_tutorial.avi.

Once you have downloaded the data from your DDI account and have parsed it for FGII, creating adventures within FGII can take as much or little time as you want to put into it.

mfitzi
March 13th, 2011, 03:57
OK, thanks for the replies! One more question. Is the E3.5 Data included or will that data have to be parsed as well? We all haven't played since AD&D, so 3.5 or 4 most-likely won't make much of a difference.

Leonal
March 13th, 2011, 05:50
3.5 has most of the SRD (https://www.d20srd.org) data included.