PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy Grounds, New to RPG

angelorfd
March 9th, 2011, 03:19
Hello.

I played RPG once with a group of friends and really loved it. The master was very experienced and the players knew each other very well. The problem is: I live far from every single one of them.

That's why I'm trying Fantasy Grounds. I downloaded the Demo and I wish to learn how to RPG. But for that I need some... tips. For example: I'm at the website and can't find a game to join. I don't know the rules of the games and don't know the difference between D20, D&D and GURPS.

Any help for the newbie?

ronnke
March 9th, 2011, 04:31
Finding a game should not be too difficult, just contact some of the GM's that have announced a game here in the forums. Let them know you are keen, but a complete newbie, they will then instruct you further.

As for not knowing any rules, that does not matter, everyone here at some time did not know any rules either. The best way to learn is jump in feet first, get involved and learn as you play.

GURPS has a free PDF download of its rules that has been written with the complete beginner in mind. It's 32 pages and has the basics you need to start playing GURPS

GURPSLite Free Download
https://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-0004

Other game designers may have similar downloads, I just don't know of them. Those here that do, might be able to post you some links.

angelorfd
March 9th, 2011, 05:05
about FG itself: I tried to join a game that was happening, but got confused on the FG software... the Host Address, i don't know what to put in that field!

ronnke
March 9th, 2011, 05:10
The person that is running the game will give you an IP address or more commonly an alias which is 4 words (ie ugly camp warm ally). Type the IP address or the alias into the host area of FG, click the start button and you should find yourself joining the game.

angelorfd
March 9th, 2011, 05:48
and this person gives me the IP via email or PM? If not, how does it work?

ronnke
March 9th, 2011, 06:06
Yes, email, PM, or the game calendar if the game host has setup something for his/her game.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/

Leonal
March 9th, 2011, 08:24
Also you cannot join a normal game with the demo version, only a demo session where the game master also uses the demo client (which is limited to the built in d20 rule set, and cannot save).

The unregistered license will let you connect to game masters who have the ultimate license, but AFAIK most have the full license which requires you to have at least a lite license. (hopefully not too confusing :))

angelorfd
March 9th, 2011, 12:47
not confusing at all. That's a shame. I have a question, and the answer may vary from player to player: I'm at GMT -03, and I get home everyday by 11pm. I can stay awake till 3am.

I CAN'T play at weekends, so, no fridays, saturdays or sundays. Only Mon to Tue.

Is it worth it to buy the lite version? I mean, will there be games for me to join, being a total newbie? If yes, what's the most played system in this server, because I have to buy the system, ain't that right?

StuartW
March 9th, 2011, 13:02
If you're unclear about the various versions, the attached table might help. Please note that the quoted prices are taken from the FG store, and are before allowing for bulk-purchase discounts (which are well worth having).

Stuart

ronnke
March 9th, 2011, 13:05
My suggestion is to find a game that you are able to join, and has some interest to you.

Find out if the GM has a Full license or an Ultimate license. If they have an Ultimate license, then you will not need to buy anything, otherwise you will have to buy a Lite license.

You only need to buy rulesets if you plan on hosting your own games.

Leonal
March 9th, 2011, 14:18
As ronnke said, you don't need to buy the ruleset in FG to join a game, it will however be handy to have the rules nearby so you can look through them.

The rulesets available at the store all have the rules built in, which you can view after you have connected to a game master (or if you have a full/ultimate license and have purchased the ruleset yourself). The free fan made ones (and D&D 4e which is included) do not, however.

Many RPGs also offer their rules as fairly cheap rulebook-pdfs, free quick-start-pdfs (Savage Worlds has a nice quick-start I believe), or have most of the rules available online for free (e.g. Pathfinder).

angelorfd
March 9th, 2011, 16:15
ok I installed the unregistered version. Now I have to look in the game calendar and search for a game? Anyone running a game today? It's holiday in Brazil and I have plenty of time to create a character and play today.

And about systems: GURPS, D20, etc... is the GM that chooses the rules? If he chooses, for example, GURPS, do I have to know the rules well? Because I dunno any exact rules...

GunnarGreybeard
March 9th, 2011, 19:57
ok I installed the unregistered version. Now I have to look in the game calendar and search for a game? Anyone running a game today? It's holiday in Brazil and I have plenty of time to create a character and play today.

And about systems: GURPS, D20, etc... is the GM that chooses the rules? If he chooses, for example, GURPS, do I have to know the rules well? Because I dunno any exact rules... Yes, the GM chooses the ruleset. You do not need to know anything about the rules, just be willing to ask questions and learn during the game or if possible get the GM to let you connect for a short walk through session so you can get familiar with the ruleset.