PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Time GM (IH or 3.5 or LL)

Magnatude
February 28th, 2011, 18:23
Hi everyone,

I've been a D&D player since my Jr years in 1980.
I have a campaign that I'm willing to share over FG during Friday nights and/or Saturday Nights, Pacific Time (Alaska, BC/Canada, Washington State, Oregon, California...).

All I need to do is find out which rules sets would be the player's preference.

I'm willing to use Labyrinth Lord (Basic D&D), Iron Heroes, or 3.5

Tho I would likely prefer Iron Heroes, it calls into question which would get me more interested players for the events.

I'm looking to DM a group of 2-4 players until I'm used to using FG, then possibly bump the group up to 5-6 max.

My games are not "Rules-heavy" so anyone from novice to experienced in playing will hopefully enjoy the experience and not worry too much about being rules-savvy.

I'll just need a little time to convert some material to the appropriate ruleset and we will be off and running.

The Game itself is set in an original Fantasy setting with some gunpowder being used. Expect overland, underground and over-sea adventures.

Please let me know if you have an interest by posting here, and I'll set up a calendar event ASAP.

~~Richard~~

lazarus0280
February 28th, 2011, 19:56
I am definately interested. Would have to see what time the game would be but I definately down. Yours are later start time for me (EST here) which is perfect since i have an earlier game. I'm familiar with 3.5 so I would actually like to try out the Iron Heroes ruleset as I haven't yet. I am pretty laid back though and would be down for whatever you decide to use.

Magnatude
February 28th, 2011, 21:32
Thanks Laz, yeah I noticed we both applied to another campaign which starts much earlier (which is ok for now, as my work has slowed down during this part of the season... Spring time is too busy for me for early games, thus I would like to have my DM/GMing time a little later)

Cool, the Iron Heroes rules actually surprised me on how they tuned the rules, very much to how I would have preferred the D20 combat to commence during a game.

There will be several races in this game: Sylvans, Half-Sylvans, Dwarves, and Gnomes... besides the unruly Humans.

The extra races will have A mandatory Background Trait which allows:

Sylvans:
Receive benefit of Night-Vision and Animal Empathy

Half-Sylvans:
Receive benefit of Night-Vision (No-Animal Empathy)

Dwarves:
Receive benefit of Night-Vision and Underground Slope detection

Gnomes:
Receive benefit of Night-Vision and Underground Slope detection

There are no Halflings or any other playable humanoids, and the no-cleric element exists initially in my campaign as it does in Iron-Heroes.

(Although there is a clergy, there is no powers bestowed upon them for being devout).

Sign-up: Click here to the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=586)

MisterAmazing
February 28th, 2011, 22:44
I'd be willing to check it out!

ElementEvil
March 1st, 2011, 01:50
I am unfamiliar with the Iron Heroes campaigns. But I'm a quick learner. And it looks like it was written by Monte Cook

Magnatude
March 1st, 2011, 02:27
Yeah its got the elements of 3.5 Edition... some notable thing about it are:

Characters and critters have a "Defense" you roll against to hit that only considers shields added to this rating.... "Armor" is a reduction to the damage created by the hit (as a -1 or opposing 1d2 ---> 1dX die roll).
Hit points are a little different in calculating, You have a pool of "reserve" points that you can convert to healing your HP (as HP are viewed differently than 3.5, its only at 0hp or lower that changes the situation of your character, anything above is more or less nicks, luck and scratches)
However watch how you spend that reserve, because you know how all missions end up pitting you up against the big-epic-finale.

With Magic its, use up more or your "mana" in a spell you get a greater effect, but watch that you can still control it, otherwise crazy or nasty things might happen.

I'll have the module book open for access and I'll carefully explain some of the options you have, tho I don't like being a rules lawyer, I'd prefer to keep much of it loose and role-play.

Also keep in mind that I come from using Screenmonkey, so Fantasy Grounds will take a bit of getting used to, so you may need to help me along with some of the no-so-apparent features it has, though I'm learning a lot each day with it.

I have the dates lined up on the Calendar, so feel free to join up or add your name if its full, because once I get used to the interface, I'll open up for more players to join.

wbcreighton
March 1st, 2011, 04:01
Is it going to be weekly ? I'm PST as well but the kids aren't in bed until 8:00 :)

Magnatude
March 1st, 2011, 04:37
Weekends only Fri and Sat.
Yeah I have kids myself (ages 21,10 and 8) so I know how that can be, lol.

***Gametimes Posted here! (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=586)***

We can probably compromise with the other players and try to arrange most events for late gamers. There might be a brief stop in the game so I can get the 2 younger ones into bed, usually 9pm max on weekends, heh

ElementEvil
March 1st, 2011, 05:27
I'm just getting back into Fantasy Grounds. So we are on an even footing.

If Iron Heroes is anything like Arcana Evolved then I should catch on fairly quick.

wbcreighton
March 1st, 2011, 05:37
Ok, so you want to do both Fri & Sat on a weekly basis. Are both nights going o be the same campaign or parallel games ? I might be able to pull off one night a week. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Magnatude
March 1st, 2011, 17:04
Ok, so you want to do both Fri & Sat on a weekly basis. Are both nights going o be the same campaign or parallel games ? I might be able to pull off one night a week. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Yeah regarding this, it all depends on what is convenient with the group as a whole. If the majority wants to do 2 sessions a week with the same adventure, then I'm all for it. I wasn't planning on running 2 separate groups personally.

From past experiences there were occasions where players couldn't make some of the sessions, but the majority could... I just NPC'ed the character as best as I could, according to their character profile and based on their current actions.

If it works out that if we end up doing 1 of the 2 sessions per week, then that's ok too. the 2 scheduled days are the ones where "I" can personally run the game, so I'll leave it up to the group...

And if you miss a session I'll post everything here at my blog:
Bloodflyte: Brokenlands Campaign (https://www.bloodflyte.com/brokenlands)
I had to re-database the site from the original group that played through this campaign via blog-postings... Sorry, I hate blog/forum RPGs, I prefer spontaneity of a real game session.

Its hard to get a group together via screenmonkey, tho I love the software (and I do work for NBOS quite often), seems if gamers (players and GM's) pay for software, they tend to want to use it more, so I'm quite happy to see a response here and willingness to play :)

I'm starting to get a handle on this xml/lua from bits posted on the FGwikis

lazarus0280
March 1st, 2011, 17:41
Hop into the chat channel whenever your around. They are awesome about helping out and answering questions. I've learned a crapload in the short amount of time I've been here. Plus Oberton the guy that keeps the wiki up is generally in there too to help answer questions. https://fg2.rpg-vault.net/ is the chat link

Magnatude
March 1st, 2011, 22:24
Kewl-Thanks, good to know, Laz, and I will!

Just to let you all know...

If you want, you can start creating your characters, I have an Iron Heroes Character sheet available to use through the NBOS Character Sheet Designer. The Sheet designer is free and allows you to create and view/edit your character sheets and save them.

I have my sheet here: >>DOWNLOAD FROM NBOS<< (https://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=345)

And you can get the Sheet Designer: >>HERE<< (https://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=240) (Windows)

You can send them to me via: rpg (at) bloodflyte.com

Direshadow
March 2nd, 2011, 04:18
Those dates and times work for me, I would love to play your game.

I am only failure with AD&D and 3.5 though.

So 3.5 for me!

Magnatude
March 2nd, 2011, 05:30
Hello Direshadow, we are going for IH version, its almost the same as 3.5 so you are welcome to join in anyways.
I'll have a few extra characters prepared for anyone who wants to give it a blind-shot.

ElementEvil
March 2nd, 2011, 18:32
As for a second group you mentioned earlier. I would love to take part as a player, or perhaps DM.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with Unicore. It was made to handle Unisystem games. I would love to show people how easy this system is to make a realistic zombie apocalypse using the All Flesh Must Be Eaten setting.

Magnatude
March 2nd, 2011, 22:22
Yeah, we could do Fridays with my campaign and Saturdays optional-games if too many people need a later start... a little variety and we can all learn a bit more using FG2.

Dr_Babylon
March 16th, 2011, 06:38
So it would seem we are rapidly approaching showtime here. Thought it might be a good idea to get some conversation flowing. To those who are already involved, what sorts of characters can we expect? Does the Boss mind us sharing this information beforehand? Unless surprise introductions are meant to be played as a plot/story element, a congenial who's who could help us avoid early complications (I don't want to be the only scumbag on the team).

Dr Babylon

p.s. Is the material offered in "Player's Companion" acceptable, 'cause I'm sort of looking at the Sudden Strike mastery tree and it might suit my needs...

Magnatude
March 16th, 2011, 07:40
Hey Doc.

The first part of our story involves a small Village of Encrest, you are all there for various reasons which will be given to each player to mull over and help complete their characters.

I'll have several extra characters to possess in case there isn't a chance to roll up your own, just to get started, if you wish to still create your own character we could do that even after the session is over or further into the week. Perhaps a few may show up early to roll up on Saturday.

There are two major competing factions in this region, The Duke Ketha Illspek, current overseer of the City of Crishraw and his rival Duke Ulrich Estril in the City of Egrar. The two Itarian rulers are at odds over land claims and have cause much pain to the smaller townships.A few of the Player Character will be from Crishraw, and a few will be those traveling this area hoping to gain opportunity by taking advantage of the situation.
There are stories that Duke Ketha is accomplishing a cleansing of Sylvan landholders, relieving them of their property and lives. Duke Ulrich is even more despotic running one of the largest slave gulags known as the "red fields".
Encrest is caught in the middle of these two terrors, as well as enduring the goblinoid raiders from the Northern wilderness close by.
It will be up to the Players to decide and ultimately steer the fate of the village that lingers to the western edge of Falsolph Forest.

I'll allow Players Companion Character classes (Dedicate, Myrmidon, and Spiritualist) Characters are rolled 10 sets of 3D6, pick the 6 highest rolls and put them to the preferred attributes.

The Adventure will be overland and underground. Action and Politics, and a few mysteries to solve as well.