PDA

View Full Version : nWoD Mage The Awakening Interest Thread

PsyAxisMundi
February 24th, 2011, 22:11
I'm putting together an nWoD campaign in Fantasy Grounds while I learn the software.

Campaign material will be a mix of SAS material and my own spin, while I get used to the interface and running games this way, moving into some self-written story material as I get accustomed to the platform and to the gaming group who gets involved.

As the title says, the subgenre will be Mage: The Awakening, set in the Southeastern USA with occasional travel to other places (and perhaps even times) in the world (and elsewhere). The campaign is called "Mage: The Awakening: The Dirty South" and will be a mixture of action and pulp superhero mixed with sweaty pitchers of sweet tea and BBQ.

This thread is a general interest assessment thread to see who would be willing to be involved in regularly scheduled games.

If you are interested in doing this, please post here, and if you have a character concept already in mind, feel free to share.

Pard
February 24th, 2011, 22:38
Interested. Never played it, but I have the material.

malachi666
February 24th, 2011, 22:49
What days were you thinking?

PsyAxisMundi
February 24th, 2011, 23:23
I'm thinking weekly to bi-weekly. I'm more interested in having as close to 100% player attendance as possible than rigidly scheduled games. I'm translating my written material into the FG campaign now so if all goes well, perhaps we can start in a couple of weeks. I'll post more information as I have it. Thanks for responding.

lazarus0280
February 25th, 2011, 11:53
I'd definately be interested. Sounds like fun mate. Keep me posted on status of this one for sure.

Stealthfox16
February 26th, 2011, 16:43
I'm also interested. I'm available tuesday through saturday, and I'm familiar with World of darkness. Also need a time you're looking to play.

malachi666
February 26th, 2011, 19:03
I too am interested.

turelus
March 3rd, 2011, 22:39
Interested in joining. I have not played much nWoD before but own all core books and know most basic rules.

My time zone is GMT+00 and I'm currently free 19:30 - 01:00

angelorfd
March 9th, 2011, 16:33
I'm interested too. I enjoy storytelling but I don't know ANY of the rules. GMT-03, avaible from 23:30-03:00

PsyAxisMundi
March 11th, 2011, 02:02
Signups are live...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=597

If you're interested, go on and sign up and feel free to leave some feedback. Start date is still TBA as I am currently assembling the framework of the campaign into FG (Please be patient as I have two full time jobs and am new at this software). But if enough people are interested we can arrange a login time to make characters and familiarize with the nWoD ruleset.

I have a full license only, so you will need at least a lite to participate.

Campaign info Google site is also under construction.

angelorfd
March 11th, 2011, 02:05
ok... i'l do this: If I DO buy lite, which I think is the only way to get a game around here, as I can't play ANY games around, I join.

PsyAxisMundi
March 11th, 2011, 02:16
The difference between lite and full is with lite you can join any game as a player but not as GM. With Full you can play as GM and compile all your adventures.

angelorfd
March 11th, 2011, 02:25
yeah, but I got unregistered for trying.

Dr_Babylon
March 11th, 2011, 04:00
I definitely want to see how this plays out as I loves me some decent story-telling and character-driven turmoil. My schedule being what it is (late-night Eastern Zone) I am not certain if I will fit but we'll give it a whirl.

Not had any prior experience with nWoD but I had a little cursory tour with... (his name, sadly, escapes me) in FG and color me interested. Lessee when the other parties want the sessions and then it will happen as it must.

Dr Babylon

angelorfd
March 11th, 2011, 17:29
I had a little cursory tour with... (his name, sadly, escapes me) in FG and color me interested. Dr Babylon

Saitan, that was the DM of the tour.

I hope I can get some WoD someday, but my days for gaming sucks...

Dr_Babylon
March 17th, 2011, 03:04
Thought it might be a good idea to post on here to let folks know this is still in play and maybe drum up a little more interest.

To PsyAxisMundi, beloved leader and storyteller, you let me know when you have a few minutes (preferably late evening) and I would love to have your participation in a character brainstorming session. Just say the word, my friend.

To those who were previously involved (or close to announcing such intentions), feel free to raise your voice. If you want to Mage it up (get Maged, if you will) then this would be a good place to discuss your options.

To anyone else who might be reading, why not consider throwing in with the Appalachian Backcountry League of the Recently Awakened? Lets shake some realities together.

Dr Babylon

p.s. I do hope that I have not overstepped my bounds here...

PsyAxisMundi
March 18th, 2011, 00:51
Hey there! I don't feel you are stepping on toes at all.

I work until 8 PM EST, and could start up a game/character making session anytime after then starting next week. I've gotten my first couple of episodes plugged into FG so we should be able to start soon. The theme will be action-heavy with some pulp flavor and various Southern style motifs. What would you do with limitless power at your fingertips? How will it affect your humanity?

Medash
March 19th, 2011, 19:34
I am allso Interested In MtA. And like the other guy, I own the material and such but have never garnered enough intrerest from others to try and run it. I signed up on the calendar and Can make most days.

downunderbard
March 24th, 2011, 03:43
I love the idea throwing some mana around. I have a stable schedule so depending on the gaming day/time that you have in mind I should have no trouble committing to regular sessions.

PsyAxisMundi
March 24th, 2011, 23:08
I've posted some minor updates in the calendar thread for the campaign. If anyone wishes to hash out ideas and/or concepts with me, feel free to post there or email me directly at psyaxismundi (at) gmail.com.

Dr_Babylon
March 27th, 2011, 00:52
Attention all interested parties:

It would appear that out illustrious leader has decided to host a sort of initial engagement / meet-and-greet with the intent of hashing out character concepts, scheduling future sessions, and so on. It is not too late to address the esteemed PsyAxisMundi to see if you can contribute. We will convene at 2100 hours (9:00 pm) EDT this evening.

The die has been cast.

Dr Babylon

p.s. Again, I do hope this doesn't come across as too audacious on my part. It's your barbecue, boss. I'm just making sure we have enough paper plates...

downunderbard
March 27th, 2011, 01:49
Dr_Babylon

I’m the one he hit the recommend time button, and PsyAxisMundi has not responded yet. Did not know what the button would do and thought it was just a way of saying hey I'm available at such and such a time. So I don’t know if he knows that we are ready and willing to go.

In short I may have over stepped my bounds by mistake.

Dr_Babylon
March 27th, 2011, 01:56
Whoops. And I sounded so official.

At least we're overstepping together.

So...to sum up. Nothing is what it seems.

PsyAxisMundi
March 27th, 2011, 06:10
Sorry I spaced out most of the day. :P But as of now, we've been in-game and making characters for 4 hours and counting :)

need more players! :D

Dr_Babylon
March 27th, 2011, 06:40
I'll have you all know that, despite a brief hiccup in the beginning, everything went swimmingly.

Y'know, it occurs to me that we could sure use a couple more players. Perhaps a Necromancer or a Warlock could contribute something fresh to our troupe (a current goal is to fill out all five Paths for diversity). Experience is not overly necessary (lord knows I barely understand what I'm doing) so much as enthusiasm and creativity. We seem to have settled on post 2200 hours EDT on Saturdays (this will likely be bi-weekly) so you Pacific and Mountain folks, I'm looking at you. The campaign promises to be well-organized, deeply involved and subject to player-interaction. Tension, intrigue, adventure, mysticism, and yes even an element of comedy. Take a chance, play a part, and cast a spell.

Dr Babylon

Dr_Babylon
April 6th, 2011, 08:41
S'pose this is sort of a shout-out or call-to-prayer to all of our loyal contributors. Just wanted to see how everyone is doing and sort of...reapply our enthusiasm to this project.

Can I get a boo-yah?

Dr Babylon

downunderbard
April 6th, 2011, 23:44
How about a Rock On! Im still excited about this game. Now the hard part... Waiting till we get the players needed to make it work well.

PsyAxisMundi
April 8th, 2011, 21:59
Hello all :)

Sorry I haven't responded lately. I just got back from an adventure in the Mojave desert and I'm still decompressing.

I'm still very much looking forward to getting this going.

Dr_Babylon
April 13th, 2011, 22:51
I decompressed pretty bad while I was in college. Just kept expanding. The added buoyancy was a plus.

I have been unavailable with some minor computer issues recently. Everything seems to be fine now so no worries.

Glad that this project is still on the march. Did I see that we have a new member pending? Does he/she get the complimentary foot-rub right away or at a later date? Have there been any stirrings from the other two original interested parties or have they faded like so much worn denim?

Dr Babylon

trialaccess
April 14th, 2011, 00:44
The current pending is me, I have lots of experience with nWOD, a little with FGII, and practically no experience with M:TA. I own almost all of the books hardcopy, but have never really had a chance to play M:TA.

I really would like a chance to play, but I am not sure what is required for this group. Is there a set time, and set character ideas? Is there homework, ala a detailed backstory needed (or prefered?)

I guess this is just me saying hi, boo-ya, and thanks for the opportunity.

--trial

Dr_Babylon
April 14th, 2011, 01:10
To my understanding, the setting is more-or-less modern day and the action will largely take place in southern Appalachian country. Our illustrious leader has asked for as much detail as we are prepared to give regarding character description, motivation, recent history, and so on. I do believe his intention is to have us (the characters) wake up bound in some basement and it would be beneficial to know what last occurred before this abduction (my character, an anarchistic and somewhat self-serving runaway, was exploring the late-night Atlanta party-scene with some unsavory types). We are to be relatively new on the Awakened path, having only recently come into our magical potential. PsyAxisMundi has vowed to make use of any story threads we might introduce through our backgrounds (old enemies, family drama, former occupations). He has also advertised an element of mildly larger-than-life Pulp-Fiction heroism to this adventure (presumably ancient curses, holy relics, monster-hunting, potential time travel, otherworldly evils that shall not be named, etc).

Personally, I intend to play a sort of smart-mouth Acanthus enchanter with more curiosity than sense, relying on social manipulation and luck to get results. At last count, downunderbard was creating a Thyrsus path healer, though I am foggy on the particulars (former army medic?). According to a previous planning session, any of the other three paths would be a great place for you to start. We are at liberty to make use of any and all Southern stereotypes that entice us (we spoke at great length of Foghorn Leghorn). I've always thought Matlock would make a great necromancer...

Glad to hear from you.

Dr Babylon

trialaccess
April 15th, 2011, 00:05
I am thinking about making a Mastigos street magician. He is a survivor that is focused on escaping the ravishes of time and fate. (not fate the spell sphere, fate the idea).

I am still thinking over the details, but I should have a character sheet done tonight or tomorrow.

--trialaccess

trialaccess
April 18th, 2011, 21:52
Description: Young man, early 20s. Shaved head, clean and neat. He is dressed in slacks, a white collared shirt and a dress vest. A pristine tie completes the look.

Smith leaned over the small card table in a deep bow. The small group of onlookers had grown since he had set up the table. A look at each of their faces gave him what he needed. Disbelief. He smiled warmly at them and set his old gold stop watch on the table.

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen. I make no assumptions, no generalities, I just ask that you keep an open mind on the wonders of the universe.” This first part had the obligatory hand gestures and mysterious inflections. He was nothing if not a showman. He took a deck of cards and a thimble from his pocket and set them down with a flourish. This part always took him back, and the thoughts gave him a small smirk.

**Years before**

Light came late the morning after the worst of hurricane Katrina. Derrial McCarthy was just a child then only fourteen. He had been sleeping in a small shed off the main drag near the coast. Life was hard, but nowhere near as hard as afterwards. The hurricane had taken everything. She found him hiding under an overpass. He had been starved for weeks, eating what he could find in the tragic mess. She had told him her name was Shadowstar, and he thought nothing of the name when she handed him a sandwich and took him in.

Shadowstar never referred to herself as anything else, so he got used to calling her Star. She had given him a room in her house, an old converted Hotel, and taught him about magic. The stage show, not the real stuff. He had the dreaming after years of her training and her friendship, and she was there to walk him through it. She let him in on the secret then. She had seen him years before while trying to scry for future events, and knew that he would need her. All she needed to do was help him and wait. That is what she had done. When she had first awakened to the Mastigos path, she had been alone, and it had frightened her to her core. She had promised herself if she could stop that from happening to anyone else, she would.

After his dreaming, she taught him about the real world. The real magic. She taught him about space and time, and the illusions of both. Then she showed him how to escape. How to bend space and time around himself. Lastly, she gave him her only object of power. It had been passed down to her by her mentor, and was now his. She had called it ‘the watch of Abraham’. She said her goodbyes and had left him with a warning. She told him that the watch was an artifact, and that he should keep it hidden. Objects of power couldn’t be trusted to everyone. Power corrupts.

That was nearly three months ago, and he had been on his own. He made his way, slowly moving across the south doing small street shows for a little cash. In every new city he looks for the same things, symbols in the high speech, letting him know he isn’t alone. He has taken the shadow name Smith, and has started to construct his mage self as Star had taught him.

He just hopes that one day, he will be able to make her proud.

Dr_Babylon
April 23rd, 2011, 08:39
Yeah I was gonna say before but didn't: Very good stuff. Creative and interesting to equal degrees. Well done. Happy to have you on board.

Lets hear from our next lucky contestant...

Dr Babylon

Crusader2010
May 17th, 2011, 18:47
Hello there. I was wondering if this game started, is still going, is recruiting and if so, at what time you guys play. :)

Dr_Babylon
May 17th, 2011, 23:19
It's sweet of you to ask. At last count, a number of potential players (including me) remain very hopeful but have, sadly, not heard any official word from our beloved leader in some time.

So ... lemme say ... maybe?

Morbius
May 18th, 2011, 05:01
this sounds good...

Morbius
May 20th, 2011, 04:23
looks fun!

wizard

Dr_Babylon
May 20th, 2011, 06:06
If you are being ironic then know that you have hurt my feelings. If your interest is sincere, then we happily welcome you to the prayer circle where we will await further instructions.

Morbius
May 20th, 2011, 13:51
sorry for any misunderstanding - the game looks genuinely fun. feels like everything i'm writing now is sarcastic! if there are any available slots i'd like to join or at least observe a game (i'm a newb).

PsyAxisMundi
May 30th, 2011, 23:59
Hello all. First, i wish to apologize for my extended absence. I did not intend for that to happen.

I've been going through a period of intense travel, adventure, and loss. I've been on tour to every corner of the US, and in the meantime, people both within my family, my circle of friends, and a love are no longer with us. It's been very hard.

To those still interested in this project, thank you for your continued patience during this tough time I've been going through. This game is not derailed and despite the delay is still almost ready to start. I will be catching up on the game forum etc. and post more details soon.

PsyAxisMundi
May 31st, 2011, 00:41
I have posted an informal time for next Saturday where I will be online and we can do a meet and greet and character making session for all those still interested. Let's get the ball rolling. :)

Dr_Babylon
May 31st, 2011, 03:56
You have my most sincere sympathy regarding your current challenges but I am pleased that you seem to be coping well. I, for one, have no other obligations and will be ready when you are. Life comes first, after all.

Dr Babylon

trialaccess
June 5th, 2011, 00:40
So, how are we to do the meetup? Also, as I get confused with the differences in time zones, does 9pm GMT mean somewhere around 4pm Central? If that is the case, I already missed it, and I will not be able to play that early.

Please let me know.

Thanks

--Trial

Dr_Babylon
June 5th, 2011, 03:57
So ... what's new, team?

Did I miss any recent developments?

Dr Babylon