PDA

View Full Version : Attn: GM's

lazarus0280
February 24th, 2011, 14:07
If you have a short demo of whatever ruleset you are running think about putting up a thread. In my short time here, I've seen alot of new guys already. There is nothing worse then joining this site downloading the program and then being unable to find a game.

I think it'd be smart if we could have a bunch of short 1-2 hour single play adventure demo's to welcome new people to the world of FG. I know people are busy and all but let's do what we can! If you have some ideas or interested in offering up a bit of time to run new players let me know.

If you have a demo campaign of another ruleset let us know and we can possibly share those amongst ourselves to have handy for new players as well.

Update--

I started this thread for new players https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14218

if you would like to be included or offer your services to help run a demo message me and I will put your name on the list. Any and all support would be wonderful.

Valarian
February 24th, 2011, 16:56
From the messages in the Guild House, a lot of new people are looking for D&D 3.5 or 4e, which I don't play or run. In addition, I run games fairly free form, the campaign notes would fill maybe a side of A4. There may be a few GMs put there that have gone and set up modules for their games, but I would imagine that they're few and far between.

lazarus0280
February 24th, 2011, 17:20
Aye understood. Maybe we could get some GM's though to make a single counter adventure or what have you though for whatever ruleset they run. That way we could let the new players experience them soon after they arrive. Again I know everyone is busy but if ya had the time or energy I think it'd be a cool idea.

madman
February 24th, 2011, 18:14
I run pathfinder games most of the time. I would be willing to put something together for a quick intro game. Maybe a Pathfinder Society game which takes about 4-6 hours to complete. Saturday nights would be the best for me, but maybe Wednesday, Thursday could work also. I Think people could create characters from information in a running post (Guild House)and the PRD available free online. I could do a 3.5 game as well, but it's been some time.

I'll get something together!
As a side note I do not have an ultimate license just a full.

Chris

Viz
February 24th, 2011, 19:27
The 3.5 module Well Met in Kith'takharos is now bundled with the full license. Someone could run that.

VenomousFiligree
February 24th, 2011, 22:13
My system or choice is Savage Worlds, I am also getting to grips with (Strands of) Fate and Jaws of the Six Serpents (PDQ). I am more than willing to run one of these games, however, as Valarian said, most folk want D&D and it's derivatives...

lazarus0280
February 24th, 2011, 22:38
If you make it, they will come!!! lol, gaurantee it. Plus that let's them learn new systems. Just keep in mind they prob wouldn't have source material so you'd have to hold their hands. Either way, it's good for the site... good for the players.... and will continue to bring in new blood.

GunnarGreybeard
February 24th, 2011, 23:35
The only system (with a FGII Ruleset available) I am familiar enough with to GM is Rolemaster, which is not something newbies would probably be willing jump into for a such a short intro type game.

I would certainly be willing to work something up though and see what interest there may be.

Dershem
February 25th, 2011, 03:26
I have the ultimate but D&D isn't one of my preferences any more, I've been working on getting some stuff set up for Strands of Fate or Dresden Files. But I'm still getting comfortable with the systems to work with them. Within the next month or two I do plan on doing a few oneshot's with Strands.

ronnke
February 25th, 2011, 04:00
I have an ultimate license and will happily GM a few short (~2 hour) sessions for those interested in playing GURPS using Fantasy Grounds. Characters will all be pre-generated, so it's just a matter of jumping in a playing.

Sessions I have in mind are:

*A fantasy game
*Sci-fi game with spaceship combat
*Time travel/parallel universe game.
*Cyberpunk game
*Zombie apocalypse style horror game
*Post apocalypse mech game

All depends on the level of interest.

VenomousFiligree
February 25th, 2011, 07:32
If you make it, they will come!!! lol, gaurantee it. Plus that let's them learn new systems. Just keep in mind they prob wouldn't have source material so you'd have to hold their hands. Either way, it's good for the site... good for the players.... and will continue to bring in new blood.
I have more than 1 thread offering games with no replies...

GunnarGreybeard
February 25th, 2011, 08:17
I'm thinking times (and days) are going to be an issue trying to coordinate these as well as using a ruleset that's going to pique interest. I work nights and weekends which severely limits a lot of people from jumping in, at least in the US.

I think I may work up a couple of OSRIC based one shots, something old school and easy to manage.

Maybe a poll would be in order to help narrow some things down?

lazarus0280
February 25th, 2011, 12:41
Aye I hear you Murgh. Though things in the forums can get quite cluttered quickly. I have noticed alot of activity in the chat room though with new people looking around. So if the GM's post a thread stating they are going to run a game, definately consider recruiting for it in the chat room. * that's how you got this new player Murgh (wink).

Keep in mind like ya said most players are familiar with DnD and prob hesitant to join something new at the risk of feeling like an idiot. I personally have no such qualms and just like learning the different styles. Plus ya got me on the site. Heck, I'll recruit for the different GM's since I am on constantly.

That's the other reason I was saying a short single encounter or 2 hour adventure that the GM's have on standby. I know as GM's we want to plan out and have a long go. But if you got something you've whipped together and you find yourself with free time, just pop in chat or something and offer to run it. Or if you seeing some new faces and they talking bout trying to find a game... your able to quickly throw it out there and get them involved.

It's better to have it and offer it, then not have it at all. This seems like an awesome community and I feel in my short time here there is alot to offer people. I for one have loved it, and I want others to feel the love that I have. Hehehe

lazarus0280
February 25th, 2011, 13:28
Ok just started this thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=104316#post104316

Gunnar, Murgh, ronnke and madman, I took the liberty of putting your names in the post. Hopefully I can get that thread stickied so it's easily seen by new members.

If you would like your name added or removed from the list just let me know and I will update the list. Appreciate those of you offering your time. It's pretty cool that your willing to do that.

Valarian
February 25th, 2011, 20:09
I've run Corporation and Traveller demos before now, plus Babylon 5 d20. None of these have had an especially high turnout. The Corporation demo is pretty much a packaged deal. That could be dusted off again fairly easily.

Alternatively, they could sign up and join in one of our FATE games on Friday or Sunday evenings.
https://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-csrd:nutshell

MisterAmazing
February 26th, 2011, 03:06
*Time travel/parallel universe game.

Want. Really want.

skybluerob
March 9th, 2011, 22:22
Good idea Lazurus for trying to get these demos up and running.

Maybe we need to think about trying to adopt a better game calendar. I was thinking that an actual calendar layout would be good, and you can see what games are running each day (and who's playing in them)

Even if you can't join a game, it would give an idea to players old and new & GMs exactly what is happening in the FG community and make it look alive.

Would this be possible do you think?

lazarus0280
March 10th, 2011, 00:31
I agree an overhaul of calendar system might be nice... it is rather hard to find anything. That being said... most GM's are in long running campaigns. So other then demo's people wouldn't see alot of action on a calendar like the one your proposing. A few of us are looking into doing some one and run campaigns. Specially with CoC and stuff. so that would be an option.

MisterAmazing
March 10th, 2011, 00:59
yeah working on doing many one shot CoC games. I can be convinced/willing to do some pick up and play Pathfinder games.

moes1980
April 5th, 2011, 16:53
Hello every one! I just bought my FG II program yesterday and spent the night putting together a short, one session adventure. I would love to demo it as a learning experince for both new players and myself (I have been running games for a long time, but this is my first attempt to run a game online).

Ultimatly, I want to run a campaign set in Ptolus using 3.5/OGL rules that came with the purchase. So if there are any new players looking for a no strings attached demo with possibility of playing in a long running online game, send me a message. My avalibilty for the demo right now will be mostly weekdays except thursday and friday. Monday and Tuesday eveanings are the best days for me and I am US/Canada/Mexico central time zone.

Thanks!:)

aerine
April 27th, 2011, 14:45
The only system (with a FGII Ruleset available) I am familiar enough with to GM is Rolemaster, which is not something newbies would probably be willing jump into for a such a short intro type game.

I would certainly be willing to work something up though and see what interest there may be.
I think you guys under estimate the level of gamer that comes here. Many of the "older" gamers, who cannot find the game they desire, can only find D&D in it's many variations, come here, and then... there aren't a lot of games. I sign up for games, and they never start. It's annoying, and if I weren't so stubborn, I'd have run off.
If you are running Demo's, it would also be a very good idea to have pregens available.

damned
April 27th, 2011, 15:16
@aerine - i have a demo/one-shot game of Castles & Crusades (based on earlier versions of D&D) that im running on Saturday (early morning for you) that you are welcome to join. it will be my first game so it may not be all smooth sailing :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14546
I have 6 pregens available...

aerine
April 28th, 2011, 01:53
Can I get there an hour late?? *grin* It's 7 am!

damned
April 28th, 2011, 03:04
hmm lazy sod! it would be much better if you arrived with the others... im in Aus so its 10pm for me and thats probably as late as i want it to start...
you could join in to watch but as i will also be learning it would be better if you joined in...

phantomwhale
April 28th, 2011, 03:08
I get up at 5:30am to GM my regular game... Australia time-zone + international internet gaming makes for some unsocial hours gaming :o

damned
April 28th, 2011, 03:11
its those damn americans... where are all the aussies?

phantomwhale
April 28th, 2011, 03:18
Ha, my players are Brits (like I used to be, geographically speaking) - 9 hour difference in summer-time is squeezing our UK evening / Aussie morning game tight, the 11 hour winter-time difference was a little more lenient !

aerine
April 28th, 2011, 17:33
why are all the alternative GMs overseas? *smile* I don't work during the days, and have been looking for a game to start 8 am (-6 GMT) or there about during the week. But saturday is like the one day I get to sleep in!

damned
April 28th, 2011, 22:37
i understand completely - i only get one sleep in a week and i treasure it - and im strongly resisting any suggestion that i dm a game that morning which would be your evening.... you can join in as a spectator when you do wake i just dont know how much value it will be as i will be learning myself.

pomaro377
January 7th, 2012, 22:27
There is the ability to let a new player be exposed to a game by creating them an NPC to log in as, then just watch everything as the real game plays out. I have done this three times now and each player has stayed to play. It works.

Casimir
January 10th, 2012, 19:20
I'd be willing to do this for Call of Cthulhu games, and my schedule's fairly open most nights now after 8:00 Central. I also have the Ultimate License.

aerine
January 11th, 2012, 05:36
Have two games per week on FG, and actually found a LIVE fantasy hero game. With two kids I honestly can't commit to anything else, or I'd be writing love letters to Cthulhu. It seemed to take forever to find a steady group, but they do exist. Luck to all

greedyjujo
January 11th, 2012, 10:07
Hey Casimir! I would love to give Cthulhu a try, so please keep me posted if other people are interested in a one-shot "try me out" session.

=D

Mgrancey
February 8th, 2012, 01:46
LIVE meaning real world game or is that a acryonm I don't know?

rynter71
February 23rd, 2012, 03:36
I would be interested in doing call of cthulhu or wod if anyone is running a game.

Draeus
April 12th, 2012, 00:53
Is there much call for players from the UK? I could run a few adventures / campaign got two on the go at mo. A fantasy and supers. Could run more If there is interest.

Although never ran games for strangers before.

bennis1980
June 12th, 2012, 00:27
Is there much call for players from the UK? I could run a few adventures / campaign got two on the go at mo. A fantasy and supers. Could run more If there is interest.

Although never ran games for strangers before.

There are a few of us this side of the world. I got a PM from a guy from the UK looking to join in a game. I think some icebreakers are needed and a short single session campaign would do the trick.

I am hoping to run a Rolemaster Campaign, but as Draeus inferred, running games for strangers may take a little courage to begin - especially when you're new to Fantasy Grounds.

I hope people go easy on me when I do get up and running :)

Insanity
June 12th, 2012, 01:11
I would be interested in doing call of cthulhu or wod if anyone is running a game.

I am looking for players for a Call of Cthulhu Intro game, ideally for players new to the game.

Not many of those who joined the calendar have been back around the site I believe, but as soon as there is 4-5 players, just need to find a date.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=767

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16340

Nestor
June 12th, 2012, 01:42
If anyone is interested in playing 3.5, please consider Pathfinder. It is basically 3.5 with some minor modifications.

A big plus for pathfinder, all rules, classes, monsters, every bit of info is available under the OGL for free. If you decide to purchase rule books, they are available in PDF for about $10.00 each.

The Pathfinder Society group is pretty strong and we are always looking for players and GM's.

Pathfinder Society Organized play, if similar to LFR.
We play 4-5 hour one shots, you apply credit to you character, and he/she advances in levels and accumulates wealth.

One of the best features about Pathfinder Society, is that the game commitment is only for one session, you get to play with different people, and different GM's. Most GM's seem to run games monthly, some more frequently.

please send me a pm for more info

Sy Tarn
June 20th, 2015, 17:34
alright guys i got an idea. anyone on this thread that DM's any realm of D&D we all need to get on a teamspeak\skype etc. and go over all our times, availability, what games we want to run. then search for players looking for those types of campaigns.. and we can talk to the FG's websight designer and request some additions to the forums. which shouldn't be hard it will make things alot easier and as dm's we need to get together at least once a month and have meetings to determine whats going to happen. basically this needs to be done or people are going to lose interest fairly quickly. and lose interest for months at a time because of lack of gameplay. this way we can just throw people into one shot dungeons and whatnot to keep people interested until things start happening. let me know what you think

damned
June 21st, 2015, 02:46
Sy Tarn whats with another thread necro? This ones 3 years old and reviving it isnt adding value to it.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2015, 04:31
alright guys i got an idea. anyone on this thread that DM's any realm of D&D we all need to get on a teamspeak\skype etc. and go over all our times, availability, what games we want to run. then search for players looking for those types of campaigns.. and we can talk to the FG's websight designer and request some additions to the forums. which shouldn't be hard it will make things alot easier and as dm's we need to get together at least once a month and have meetings to determine whats going to happen. basically this needs to be done or people are going to lose interest fairly quickly. and lose interest for months at a time because of lack of gameplay. this way we can just throw people into one shot dungeons and whatnot to keep people interested until things start happening. let me know what you think
If you want to run with this then I'd recommend starting a new thread specific to your ideas.

Having been around Fantasy Grounds for a little while, I'm not sure this is going to get too much traction. There is already the D&D Adventurers League that does an excellent job with regular one-shot organized play adventures: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?95-D-amp-D-Adventurer-s-League-Games Outside of this you'll find the majority of GMs are looking to run an ongoing campaign and can pickup players quite easily.

But, I might be wrong and you'll get some traction with getting a group of GMs together for your proposed meetings/organisation - but post in a new thread and see where it goes.

Sy Tarn
June 23rd, 2015, 02:52
sounds good

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2015, 17:13
Also, the Society of Extraordinary Gamers run regular one-shots on Fantasy Grounds: https://extraordinarygamers.com/

And there is the upcoming FGDaze1 gameday: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24688-FGDaze1-Games-Saturday-June-27th!-Game-announcement-thread

JerryRig
June 23rd, 2015, 21:48
Posted a Pathfinder game for Saturday morning.

LINK (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24885-Pathfinder-Forgotten-Realms-Ruthless-%28An-Evil-Aligned-Game%29-27-Jun-2015)

Procurator
May 11th, 2017, 16:16
Laz,

Sent you a PM in case you need more 5e DMs in your back pocket. Glad to help, have a great day!

Trenloe
May 11th, 2017, 17:01
Laz,

Sent you a PM in case you need more 5e DMs in your back pocket. Glad to help, have a great day!
They were last on the forums in 2011.

You can see when users were last active - click on their user name to the left of the post and select "View Profile", the "last active" date/time is shown in the left sidebar of the user's profile.

Procurator
May 11th, 2017, 18:45
Haha,

Good to know for the "sticky" threads. Thanks!

kevdog45
May 15th, 2017, 22:48
I need more players on the west coast that are willing to play after 6pm Pacific. I already have one guy but I want at least four to run my D&D 5th homebrew. I am also going to be starting a Deadlands shootout series (one shots) at some point.

Ross G.
July 16th, 2017, 18:56
5e DM here. Open to rulling up a new world or just modifying modules or creating one. Looking for games as players too and trying out fantasy grounds.