PDA

View Full Version : Skill bonuses and dragging NPCs to PCs

kairos
February 19th, 2011, 18:55
Hi, all:

First, I need to lavish praise on Stuart again for the excellence of this ruleset. I keep discovering new pearls of awesome as I create my first FG game for some friends.

I love how we can create race templates from NPCs. If I make an elf race template, I can specify absolute skill values (e.g., Ride 50%, Perform 20%). Very cool.

Is there a way, using the ruleset as written, to specify bonuses to the skill base? For example, if I have a Sindar elf template (using Anthony Ferguson's excellent BRP Middle Earth docs) which includes a +50% to the Ride skill and, say, a +30% to Perform, when I drag the NPC template to the PC window, the generate PC will have a TOTAL Ride skill of 50%, and a TOTAL Perform skill of 30% (even if the modifier in the Adj column is negative). What I'm looking for is a way to take the Ride skill base (call it 10% for this example) and add a full 50% to it for a total of 60%, rather than a 40% adjustment to make it 50%.

Thanks again for a cool ruleset -- if only I could stop tweaking the MyQuest extension and get down to writing content. ;)

StuartW
February 20th, 2011, 09:31
Thank you for the high praise indeed, it was a great pleasure to produce this ruleset and I'm delighted you are enjoying it :D

Unfortunately the NPC templates produce total skill values by design: that allows the GM to create pre-rolled characters with precise skill values, regardless of what BRP options are in use (such as skill category bonuses). It also reflects the fact that NPC stat blocks are very brief and only have one value number (compared to PC stat blocks which typically have base skill, category bonus, trained/learned amount and total). I had to choose which number to store, and chose the total. :(

Stuart

kairos
February 20th, 2011, 13:39
Thank you for the high praise indeed, it was a great pleasure to produce this ruleset and I'm delighted you are enjoying it :D

Unfortunately the NPC templates produce total skill values by design: that allows the GM to create pre-rolled characters with precise skill values, regardless of what BRP options are in use (such as skill category bonuses). It also reflects the fact that NPC stat blocks are very brief and only have one value number (compared to PC stat blocks which typically have base skill, category bonus, trained/learned amount and total). I had to choose which number to store, and chose the total. :(

Stuart

Hi, Stuart:

That's no problem at all -- just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the documentation. It's easy enough to just take the value in the total field and move it back to the adj field when you create a PC from an NPC.

The elegance of the ruleset remains undiminished as far as I'm concerned.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

k