PDA

View Full Version : Jaws of the Six Serpents

VenomousFiligree
February 18th, 2011, 21:41
Any interest in Jaws of the Six Serpents (https://www.silverbranch.co.uk/jaws/index.htm), a game using the PDQ (https://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf) system?

lazarus0280
February 25th, 2011, 13:34
Murgh, I am interested in anything you come up with!!!!! lol

Pard
February 25th, 2011, 14:55
Sure am. Wanting to try PDQ for a while now.

VenomousFiligree
February 25th, 2011, 15:01
Due to the initial lack of interest I reposted as "Rules Lite Conan" which got a bit more interest. When I get back home, I'll try and sort out some times.

lazarus0280
February 25th, 2011, 15:17
works for me mate, keep me posted!

Valarian
February 25th, 2011, 20:18
Intriguing ... when are you planning on running?

MisterAmazing
February 25th, 2011, 20:35
I'm down. Got a set time?

VenomousFiligree
February 25th, 2011, 21:20
I'm thinking a Monday or Wednesday evening (GMT), I could probably run every other week. Let me know if the time's good.

lazarus0280
February 25th, 2011, 21:26
works for me, just let me know when ya put up a calendar note up and I'll get in on that puppy. I know your nite time is like early afternoon for me since I am EST. So I shouldn't have any issues.

Pard
February 25th, 2011, 21:36
Monday/Wednesday I can Only fit in games between 3pm and 6pm EST. And one of those days I already have a game... Just cannot remember which game or which day... :(

VenomousFiligree
February 25th, 2011, 21:50
Monday/Wednesday I can Only fit in games between 3pm and 6pm EST. And one of those days I already have a game... Just cannot remember which game or which day... :(
So between 8pm and 11pm GMT, which fits in fine. You just need to remember which day! ;)

Pard
February 25th, 2011, 22:20
Nevermind that was for a Sunday game. Yeah either day is OK. I'd prefer a Wednesday game though. I usually get out of school earlier on Wednesdays since it is the last class for the week.

VenomousFiligree
February 26th, 2011, 12:49
So howabout Wednesday 9th March? Calendar entry here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=584).

lazarus0280
February 26th, 2011, 14:00
registered.... if able to maybe start an hour earlier would be PERFECT for me... if not i can make it work though

VenomousFiligree
February 27th, 2011, 08:49
I am going to try and knock up a simple PDQ character sheet in the mean time, you can have a thought on your PCs.

The PDQ (https://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf) rules will give you an idea of character generation. JotSS has 3 required Qualities, one for your background (see the "strengths" here (https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=513130&page=3)), a personal Faculty (an innate talent like Brawn, Wits or Perception) and a Driver that will motivate the character to action.

You then get 5 ranks of Open Qualities. Buying a Quality at Good takes one Rank, Expert takes two and a Master Rank takes three.

Weakness. You must also take one Quality at Poor [-2] for an area where your character has difficulties.

VenomousFiligree
February 27th, 2011, 08:52
registered.... if able to maybe start an hour earlier would be PERFECT for me... if not i can make it work though
Pard has set the times atm, however he did mention that Wednesdays were easier to make the start time...

dlinacre
February 27th, 2011, 23:43
I'm a newbie to Fantasy Grounds and online roleplaying, but I'm also eager to learn. If you'll have a green player in your campaign then I'll join!

VenomousFiligree
February 28th, 2011, 06:57
Sure, the system is easy to learn, as is FG. Sign up at the calendar. :)

VenomousFiligree
February 28th, 2011, 19:28
Got a functional character sheet, using the Base Ruleset.

If you can start posting character ideas I can see what I need to Prep! :)

Pard
February 28th, 2011, 20:19
Looks good. I'm not familiar with this system either, just an FYI.

dlinacre
February 28th, 2011, 20:28
Signed up!

Now I have a week to read the rules and fiddle with FG!

Valarian
February 28th, 2011, 21:25
I've also signed up. Thinking of an archer of the Bossonian Marches. A fort wilderness runner, good with a bow but terrible in social situations or towns.

lazarus0280
February 28th, 2011, 22:56
Any links to some source material I can read? Would like to do a little background work. Just familiar with the ole arnold movies....lol. So want to research.

dlinacre
February 28th, 2011, 23:30
This Conan Map (https://www.yandros.com/RPG/Conan/conanmap-mongoose-1e.jpg) is quite interesting. No idea if it's considered canon or not though.

There's a Conan Wiki (https://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page), but it doesn't look all that in depth, I'm afraid.

Also I guess you could try out the Age of Conan MMO (or delve into its own Wiki here (https://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Conan_Wiki)).

For me, I'm just going to arm myself with the remote and vittles of popcorn, and watch Arnie do his thing. Research AND quality entertainment!

VenomousFiligree
March 1st, 2011, 07:03
Conan is considered public domain in Australia so if you live there ( ;) ) you might want to look at https://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterH (scroll down to Robert E Howard)

VenomousFiligree
March 1st, 2011, 16:45
lazarus has offered the services of his ventrilo server, what are your thoughts on using voice for ooc chat?

MisterAmazing
March 1st, 2011, 16:52
We also got Ridi's mumble if someone doesn't like vent.

VenomousFiligree
March 1st, 2011, 17:00
All I've used is Skype, I'm open to trying anything.

Valarian
March 1st, 2011, 18:40
Not used voice at all. Have Skype and a Ventrilo client though. As long as it's just for OOC chat

dlinacre
March 1st, 2011, 20:32
Well it'll be my first time using FG so I can't really say I have a preference.

From the tutorial videos they seem to imply the voice chat makes things less immersive, though?

Anyhow I do have skype installed so I can use that if needed. Never used ventrilo but I'm sure it'd just be like setting up any other voip.

VenomousFiligree
March 2nd, 2011, 00:44
I must admit I prefer playing text only, however another game I play, which has ooc chat, I enjoy as well. So I will go with the majority on this one.

VenomousFiligree
March 2nd, 2011, 18:41
We now have 6 players signed up so going to close the calendar.

VenomousFiligree
March 2nd, 2011, 20:57
Mini Sheet added

Killian
March 2nd, 2011, 21:44
Looks like you're all set but let me know if a space frees up seems a fascinating system. :)

VenomousFiligree
March 2nd, 2011, 21:45
I can squeeze in another, I'll open up the Calendar :)

VenomousFiligree
March 3rd, 2011, 07:01
I'll have the server up at various points over the weekend for character generation.

dlinacre
March 3rd, 2011, 10:01
As for character generation, I'm thinking of some kind of soldier / brawler. It'll probably be easier for me to RP on my first FG try (just walk up and hit stuff, right? ;-) ).

Maybe an Aquilonian Deserter. +2 Soldiering, +4 Sword and some others in that area, I suppose. Greed could be the motivator as he had to leave the army for some reason! Only thing I'm struggling on is the weakness. If he's a deserter then maybe Outlaw -2? Or is that too broad / crippling?

VenomousFiligree
March 3rd, 2011, 20:11
Sounds good. Don't think outlaw is to crippling, however it might be a bit to area specific, unless there was some visible clue of your status.

Does anyone have any specific area they would like to play in?

Pard
March 3rd, 2011, 22:17
I need to check out the source material.

Also, I have tomorrow open and Tuesday. Think you could have the server up then?

VenomousFiligree
March 4th, 2011, 07:49
Don't worry too much about source material as long as we have the right flavour. It'll be more based on Hyboria, rather than based in Hyboria. :)

What times are you available today and Tuesday?

lazarus0280
March 4th, 2011, 08:50
I'll be around soon as I wake up..... just hop in chat and scoop me up if I'm not in a game. Can get to working on my character.

VenomousFiligree
March 4th, 2011, 12:24
Should be up evening time (GMT)

MisterAmazing
March 4th, 2011, 19:34
Wooot wooot! Soooooon!

VenomousFiligree
March 4th, 2011, 19:58
The server is up and will remain up overnight (GMT) if anyone wants to create a PC. Alias can be found in the calendar entry.

VenomousFiligree
March 5th, 2011, 07:25
No PCs made, problems?

Server down.

lazarus0280
March 5th, 2011, 07:30
No problems.... got some thinking to do. Sounds alot more story driven as far as developing characters. I got a concept I wanna run. More of an assassin type that is good with poisons and shadow work. not the social type since he works from the shadows. I read through the whole library so i have a good idea what I wanting to do.

VenomousFiligree
March 5th, 2011, 07:46
I can be available for sure Monday night (GMT) for guidance. I'll put the server up at other times by request (can't guarantee I'll be around)

VenomousFiligree
March 5th, 2011, 10:24
Howabout starting around here (https://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/vd_eastern_desert.jpg)?

Killian
March 5th, 2011, 11:23
Will be checking about now and then tonight from about 6-7:30 before I start work, after that would have to be Tues night before the game.

Shem? Awesome, narrows down my char selection as well I don't imagine a Pict going there realistically and my other idea was a lot closer to that region.

Valarian
March 5th, 2011, 12:18
Hmm, a little far from home for my original idea of a Bossonian wilderness runner. I could modify the concept to a Shemite bowman fairly easily though.

This is a good resource for Conan, btw: https://hyboria.xoth.net/index.htm

Let's see ....
Achim of Eruk
Driver: Drive the infidel from Shemite lands
Qualities
Archery - Expert (+4)
Swordsman - Expert (+4)
Keen Sight - Good (+2)
Perception - Good (+2)
Hardened to the Desert - Good (+2)
Riding - Good (+2)

Weaknesses
Vengeful - Poor (-2)

dlinacre
March 5th, 2011, 12:20
Well I've made my character, on paper at least. Just need to get it uploaded so I'll try at various points today and tomorrow.

I'll post it here too so at least you can peruse it and see if there's any modifications you'd like me to make.

Name: Kaeso
Race / Class: Aquilonian Soldier
Strengths:
Soldiering +4
Sword + 4
Strength / Brawn + 4
Outdoorsman + 2
Greed + 2

Weakness: (Not sure which one to choose, so I guess any advice would be welcome)
Leadership – 2
Wits – 2
Gullible – 2
Perception – 2

Basically thinking of a deserter who left the army because of poor pay. He's used to being told what to do rather than make direct decisions for himself (or he's got bad eyes if the perception weakness it taken :-p)

VenomousFiligree
March 5th, 2011, 15:29
Hmm, a little far from home for my original idea of a Bossonian wilderness runner.
Conan sure got around ;)

Weakness: (Not sure which one to choose, so I guess any advice would be welcome)
Leadership – 2
Wits – 2
Gullible – 2
Perception – 2

Basically thinking of a deserter who left the army because of poor pay. He's used to being told what to do rather than make direct decisions for himself (or he's got bad eyes if the perception weakness it taken :-p)
All of the weaknesses would be playable, maybe if you take the gullible/leadership/wits he was persuaded to leave with a "friend"

I'm open to suggestion, if the area isn't good for anyone, no one else had suggested so I though I would! :)

VenomousFiligree
March 5th, 2011, 16:08
Server is up, might be playing at 1900 (GMT) so may have to take down then.

Valarian
March 5th, 2011, 17:04
For the two characters ideas so far, the Pictish borders on the Bossonian Marches could be another region. Depends on whether you're looking for desert action and Arabian Nights, or wilderness running and Last of the Mohicans.

lazarus0280
March 5th, 2011, 17:18
Last of the Mohicans I think would be more fun, with more props for us to play with.

VenomousFiligree
March 5th, 2011, 17:42
Please post your preferences for starting area, I'll go with the most votes. Suggestions will close 2359 (GMT) Sunday, to allow me to prep! ;)

PCs so far:
Arkhad - Shemite
Achim - Shemite or Darius - Bossonian
Kaeso - Aquilonian
Lilith - Koth

Valarian
March 5th, 2011, 18:51
Don't really mind

VenomousFiligree
March 5th, 2011, 19:05
Server down

Back up

Server down

dlinacre
March 6th, 2011, 17:08
I don't mind either way, but if you're asking us to chose, then I say Last of the Mohicans. But that's probably because it'd be a setting I'm more familiar with.

So Arabian Nights is also sounding good now to throw me out of my comfort zone! It all depends on you, DM. What do you want to tell a story about?

VenomousFiligree
March 6th, 2011, 17:18
Well I'm not sure it would be "Last of the Mohicans" or "Arabian Nights". However a "desert adventure" would be my vote :)

Badgers
March 6th, 2011, 19:12
Heh I'm undecided myself, happy with anything. GM, roll a die!

VenomousFiligree
March 7th, 2011, 13:03
3 Playes still outstanding PC creation...

VenomousFiligree
March 10th, 2011, 08:52
Great game guys, comments appreciated.  See the thread on Busy Games (will post link when not on iPhone).

dlinacre
March 10th, 2011, 09:32
Link to thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14303)

Posted a couple of comments. I think you did really well, GM! Great game and atmosphere, and seemed a really good group of people!

lazarus0280
March 10th, 2011, 12:30
Agreed, loved the game Murgh. Once we got a handle on it with that many people went wonderfully.

again like I said in the game, my only suggestion would be that since this is so roleplay heavy and we are virtually playing in combat mode for the most part would be to switch the initiative up a bit. As it stands I led every round with my higher initiative which kind of forced the players to play off of whatever I came up with first. So maybe after every other round or something randomlly switch up the order so someone else starts off the roleplay round. This will allow each player a chance to kind of guide the action per'se.

Other then that, I think the game was perfect for my tastes. Another very enjoyable campaign under your watch Murgh, Thank you, you've made FG alot of fun for me.

VenomousFiligree
March 25th, 2011, 11:17
Lots of PvP both intentional and unintentional (I think! :) ) :dead:

A very enjoyable session from my end, only wish I had enough time to read *all* the OOC chat!

MisterAmazing
March 25th, 2011, 17:14
Agreed! Sadly, I think OOC needs to cut back... Even if I'm one of the biggest criminals for stealing chatroom time with OOC comments. xD

Valarian
March 25th, 2011, 17:36
Is it worth trying Skype for the OOC stuff? The GM can always turn the headphones off to concentrate on the stuff happening in character :)

The group is very large. Though I don't know whether my character is long for the world, given the chaos in the dark last session.

MisterAmazing
March 25th, 2011, 17:51
You the guy One-Eye nearly despined?

VenomousFiligree
March 25th, 2011, 18:08
I'd need to get a different headset as my wireless one and the wifi really screw each other over where I stay during in the week :(

Also, a KO in the current danger level is not life threatening:

Drama. This is the normal PDQ route. Characters who zero out are unlikely to suffer any lasting harm, and any consequences disappear by the next scene or a few scenes later. However, they may well find themselves in a more challenging situation as a result of being at the mercy of their opponents. 'Damage' is about the ebb and flow of the story going the way the characters want.

Valarian
March 25th, 2011, 20:01
Don't mind being written out if necessary. Seven players is a little too much I think