PDA

View Full Version : Against the Orcs

Xuub
February 12th, 2011, 13:36
Hello,

I just bought the Savage Worlds core rulest forr FG II and it said that there was a free adventure with it, but I can't seem to find it. Where do I look?

Also, since I'm new to the Savage Worlds Fantasy Grounds ruleset, I was wondering if anyone could share some adventures with me? Or any other nifty things that could help me get started. Some pre-generated characters would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

Griogre
February 13th, 2011, 03:19
Start a new Savage World campaign. After the campaign loads click on the modules button at the top right of the FG desktop. You should see Against the Orks and other SW modules. Double click on the picture for the module and the brown book will open - it might take a second.

Once the book is open Click on the various buttons, Story, Images and you should see the adventure.

phantomwhale
February 13th, 2011, 05:30
Sharing pre-gen characters is quite hard, as they are normally embedded into the db.xml file in the campaign folder, with no front-end functionality for extracting and sharing them. (Copy and pasting the XML blocks works fine, and is quite simple, but still not as good and pressing some friendly buttons).

I played a bit of this adventure, and already owned the PDF version of it too (which comes with six pre-gen characters), so I spent a little time writing them up into the adventure. I wonder if Pinnacle / Smiteworks would be happy with someone (yes, I'm volunteering) producing a pre-generated campaign for the module, which would have the six pre-generated characters in it, as well as pre-generated tokens and portrait images, as well as some maps (all extracted from the PDF) as I understand the adventure does not come with maps by default ?

Then someone could unzip the demo campaign into their campaign folder, and should be able to load up a "pre-created" campaign, have players connect and pick and player, and basically "get started" ?

Anyone from Smiteworks able to comment ?

Don't want to bring down the wrath of IP violation, but given it's offered up as a "free adventure" it feels in spirit that they would be happy with all elements of the PDF being shared around, rather than "just enough to get going".

Sorcerer
February 13th, 2011, 09:06
It has not been released yet (still in review by Doug),

but I have recently completed a conversion of the triple ace games space lanes adventure 'Bad debts'.

this adventure also included pregen-characters, so I created a small extension which would allow NPC's to be dragged from the NPC window to the character window.

I then created the fully featured pregen-PC's and copied their DB node to the NPC node of the module (no alterations required).

the PC's do not show all fields in the NPC window but when dragged to the character window all fields are copied, and they show up to players logging in.

currently this extension is more of a tool for module creators to get pregens into the game, but my plan is to integrate it into the rulesets I work with (currently working on it for the C&C ruleset) so that PC's can be exported to a module either via a new window, the NPC window or a special area of the character window and then after module loading they can be dragged into any campaign (there needs to be some drag action to move them from the module DB to the campaign DB).

Doswelk
February 13th, 2011, 12:16
It has not been released yet (still in review by Doug),

but I have recently completed a conversion of the triple ace games space lanes adventure 'Bad debts'.

this adventure also included pregen-characters, so I created a small extension which would allow NPC's to be dragged from the NPC window to the character window.

I then created the fully featured pregen-PC's and copied their DB node to the NPC node of the module (no alterations required).

the PC's do not show all fields in the NPC window but when dragged to the character window all fields are copied, and they show up to players logging in.

currently this extension is more of a tool for module creators to get pregens into the game, but my plan is to integrate it into the rulesets I work with (currently working on it for the C&C ruleset) so that PC's can be exported to a module either via a new window, the NPC window or a special area of the character window and then after module loading they can be dragged into any campaign (there needs to be some drag action to move them from the module DB to the campaign DB).

Nice!

Any chance we can roll that code into the main rule set you think?

Sorcerer
February 13th, 2011, 15:56
Firstly, my apologies to Xuub as it seems my comments have hijacked his thread dragging us dangerously off topic...

Any chance we can roll that code into the main rule set you think?

Well, once the module goes live, the extension code (such as it is) will be owned by smiteworks, and since they also own the SW ruleset I see no reason why not.

of course i am not the current SW ruleset developer (Phantomwhale?) so you will have to talk to him about that...

as I said, currently, GM's could use it to import pregen pcs from a module, but in order to set up those module-PC's you need to be prepared to do some minor xml editing of the module. I don't see much problem in making it more user friendly for import/exporting through the UI but it will require a bit of time to put together.

Of course what it won't do, is to link the locally created character's to the campaign on the GM's side. I think that will require something to be done to FG itself.

My vision on that would be a 'true' manage characters system that could see all characters present in all campaigns of that ruleset, allowing them to be easiliy transfered from one campaign to another.

As it stands 'manage characters' is really only useful for players, and almost useless for the host.

Xuub
February 13th, 2011, 21:00
I figure it out. I had to install the module in the right place. When I downloaded the ruleset it did not put the module in the right spot.