PDA

View Full Version : Parsed Magic Items - Can't Identify?

Ablefish
February 11th, 2011, 06:18
Hi,

I'm trying to get my fantasy grounds group back up and running - we haven't had a full session for about a year.

In building characters, one thing we're noticing is that when we add a magic item to our inventory, it's impossible to identify it as a player. Even when building it locally. And because we can't identify it, we can't do the trick where you drag the mundane item onto the magic property and get your magic longsword (or whatever).

I don't remember it being this way before... Or am I crazy? I certainly understand not being able to identify as a player in a game (though I would love it if there was a DM option to turn off that restriction given 4E's much more lax approach to identifying items). But building a local character?

Now, I haven't reparsed some of my modules in a while - could that be the problem? Or was this a design decision when the 4E ruleset was incorporated into FG? Anyways, no biggie, but curious - I was trying to get my players to get their characters built as completely as they could on their own.

Thanks.

Griogre
February 11th, 2011, 06:45
Only the DM can identify magic items in 4E. So this means he needs to either build weapons and armors or the players need to build their weapons and armor by hand.

Ablefish
February 11th, 2011, 07:28
Ok, thanks Griogre.

I'm not sure why that would need to be enforced by the software while creating local characters. I've got to think that many people are converting existing campaigns/characters into FG and this seems like an unnecessary barrier. I mean, if they're already dragging the magic property into their inventory, the item is effectively identified already. All the ruleset is doing is tripping the unidentified flag and locking it when the property gets put onto inventory.

Anyways, thanks for the confirmation - I'll let the guys know to just drag the magic property into their inventory and the DM can unlock everything when the character is imported.

Griogre
February 11th, 2011, 18:06
4E like most rulesets, does not really support building local characters. Because it is a PAK ruleset a great deal of functionality happens to be there but it was never designed to be actually used that way. It's just a nice bonus that its about 95% functional in local mode.