PDA

View Full Version : Problems updating and problems logging into a game

JamesKnouse
February 10th, 2011, 05:33
I tried to log into someones game last night and couldn't. Entered my user name and the host address. clicked start and was prompted for a password which i entered. The status bar then reads connecting and downloading files then seems to freeze. The DM hosting the game says it shows as me connected on his end...

Currently I am running 2.7.2 software. I go into the updater and get "Updating Package listing" then "Error!"

We ran some tests on my connection and I have 1.92 mbps download speed and .72 mbps up. I have an air card as my connection source.

my firewall from what I can tell is set to accept FG. I went in a manually checked the needed boxes.

I have windows 7, 64 bit laptop 2 gig processor, 4 gig mem.

I have used another PC at work to connect to my DMs game.

What is the deal?

I have a full purchased license.

Griogre
February 11th, 2011, 01:16
The current version is 2.7.4 so the version mismatch is likely behind you problem if you connected to a server running the latest version. Do you know what version the server was running?

Try updating again and see if you can get the update. If not, then e-mail [email protected] with your license number and tell them the error message you are getting.

JamesKnouse
February 11th, 2011, 02:18
2.7.4 was what the DM was running. Tried updating to 2.7.4 and still freezes. I am emailing support.

This is a bummer

mcathro
April 6th, 2011, 17:04
I've had this same issue with three different players. The first two would connect and it seemed to be downloading "stuff" to their machine and when it finally finished they were in the game. Each of the first two took 30-40 min to connect. I tried last night with another player and it was over an hour; so we just left it connected and went to bed. This morning he said he was "in the game" when he checked.

I think the issues is the server sending stuff to the clients. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so, what can I do to minimized the connection time needed before a new player can join the game? (We all have the same, current version since all the clients loaded it within the last week.)

Would cleaning out my large token collection help?

Thanks!

JamesKnouse
April 6th, 2011, 21:09
I am thinking it is a bandwidth issue? I use an air card at home and that does not connect. I have to drive 20 miles to a coffee shop to use a wifi. Still I don't understand why the air card doesn't connect. It does EVERYTHING else.

I don't use the software for this reason and am kinda pissed that FG hasn't addressed this issue yet. Just looking for an explanation.

gmkieran
April 7th, 2011, 22:20
mcathro - a large token collection is definitely a detriment on initial connection, because the server is pushing *every*thing in the shared tokens folder out to the clients. I don't think it pushes what's in the Host folder out, so if your tokens are there, that's probably not the issue. One way to reduce the overall lag time is for the GM to create a player cache file and email this to all of the players. This is done using the following steps:

GM opens 2 sessions of FG on his machine.
Session 1 hosts the game you want to run
Session 2 joins the game as a play (use "localhost" as the login IP and whatever you want for a screenname, as long as its not the same as your gm screenname)

Session 2 should download all the information any player normally would when connecting. Close both sessions and navigate to the FG data folder (should be a link under FG in your startmenu). there should be a .cache file (I'm not on my home PC, so I can't give you the exact path) - email that to all of your players and have them save it in the same file path you found it in. They should now have all the information the server would normally push out to them and connect much more quickly.

JamesKnouse, I'm sorry - I don't have an answer to your issues, though the above might help if your GM is willing to give it a shot.

Cheers!

JamesKnouse
April 7th, 2011, 22:51
We went through it and couldn't figure it out.

I wasted enough time with this software. Not worth the money.