PDA

View Full Version : Manage characters and new campaigns

Helvegr
February 4th, 2011, 04:33
Using the 4E ruleset, I am used to creating a new character in the Manage Characters portion of FG. Then these characters show up as available for new campaigns and get copied over when they are used.

I'm trying a few things with the d20_JPG and Pathfinder v8 extension. I don't seem to be able to do the same. Characters in the Manage Characters, just seem to be stuck there? Is this a ruleset issue or am I doing something wrong?

Griogre
February 4th, 2011, 19:49
Non pak rulesets do not support local characters with the lite or unregistered versions of FG. Even the 4E ruleset does not completely support local character creation.

Moon Wizard
February 4th, 2011, 20:14
Have you verified that the host is running the exact same versions of the ruleset and extension?

Thanks,
JPG

Bidmaron
February 4th, 2011, 21:48
m_w, what is the algorithm by which FG determines whether to support local characters?

I am using d20_jpg (latest release version), and I don't seem to have any problems (that I have found, anyway) using Manage characters with characters created in local mode (I have a full license on my P.C. and an ultimate on my Mac).

Griogre
February 4th, 2011, 22:42
Local characters more or less work with full or ultimate versions of FG. The exact thing that determines how well they work is related to the ruleset's use of the FG database.

Moon Wizard
February 7th, 2011, 19:30
Bidmaron,

I believe that the issue is related to the fact that the database structure for local mode (i.e. manage characters) is different than during game mode.

If the ruleset uses all relative node references, then it typically works fine. If there are any absolute path references or assumptions, then something typically breaks.

I have it on my list to look at, since I think I can push the local version to match the DB layout of the live game. I haven't had a chance to look at the repercussions of that change yet.

Cheers,
JPG

Bidmaron
February 10th, 2011, 11:53
Thanks, JPG. That's what I was thinking was that any db references in local mode could be resolved to the ruleset's 'character' database. Of course, making sure such nodes, if they are outside the character's node tree, got exported into the campaign's database when a player selected the character would be impossible unless you created some kind of 'CharacterImported' event that the ruleset code could respond to in order to sweep up any database nodes outside the character tree that it needs.

Netjera
June 8th, 2011, 19:12
What's the status of this? Although I have a Full license, I'm finding that characters I've made in Manage Characters under the 3.5E ruleset are not showing up as available when I host the game as DM.

Is there some way to export the characters and bring them back in?

Also is there any way to mark a character as an NPC - aside from making a small sheet in the personalities tab (which isn't enough in this case)?

Moon Wizard
June 8th, 2011, 20:59
Characters created through Manage Characters can only be added as a client. However, you can start a second instance of FG, and log into your own game using "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" as your host name. Then, you can add the local characters to the campaign.

Once in the campaign, there is a new feature coming in v2.8 which allows you to export and import characters across campaigns.

There is no simple way to mark a character as an NPC, since the statistics for NPCs and PCs are different. If you want to prevent players from logging in with certain characters, you can use the second instance again to log in as those characters. Then, only a user with the same user name can access those characters in the future.

Hope that all made sense,
Regards,
JPG

Netjera
June 13th, 2011, 21:36
Characters created through Manage Characters can only be added as a client. However, you can start a second instance of FG, and log into your own game using "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" as your host name. Then, you can add the local characters to the campaign.

Once in the campaign, there is a new feature coming in v2.8 which allows you to export and import characters across campaigns.

There is no simple way to mark a character as an NPC, since the statistics for NPCs and PCs are different. If you want to prevent players from logging in with certain characters, you can use the second instance again to log in as those characters. Then, only a user with the same user name can access those characters in the future.

Hope that all made sense,
Regards,
JPG

Oh, this is a very clever idea, thanks! Grab a character using the local host. Release it, if I want others to use it in the campaign. Don't release it, if it's going to be an NPC. Will I still be able to see the character sheets, as DM, even if nobody is playing them?

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2011, 02:22
Yes, you can always see all the campaign characters as a GM from the character selection screen available via the upper right menu button.

Cheers,
JPG