PDA

View Full Version : Parser Noob Questions

og_cronge
January 30th, 2011, 17:19
What is parsing for?

After using a parsing program I now have a text document of the PHB1... now how do I use the information in regards to making a character in FGII (i.e. powers, weapons, etc...)?

Please help... totally noob to playing LFR online (looking forward to comic con 2011, lol).

mattcolville
January 31st, 2011, 03:02
What is parsing for?

After using a parsing program I now have a text document of the PHB1... now how do I use the information in regards to making a character in FGII (i.e. powers, weapons, etc...)?

Please help... totally noob to playing LFR online (looking forward to comic con 2011, lol).

Follow this link

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84732&postcount=8

It explains how to use the parser to create a .mod file.

The parser is a pain in the butt, it's not commercial software but...it works.

Once you've completed the process described in that post, you get what's called a ".mod" file, or a Module File. If you're familiar with D&D terminology, a Module File has nothing to do with D&D Modules, in the sense of adventures.

If the .mod file is in the right place, when you run FG2, you'll see it when you click on "modules" in the upper left.

Then from there you can activate the module, putting it in your Library.

Once it's in your library you can grab stuff from inside it like powers and feats and weapons and drop it on a character sheet.

There's a lot more complex stuff regarding what kind of file the module is, when you can see it, when it loads, but I don't have the wherewithal to explain it.

Koldoon
March 6th, 2011, 20:59
in other words, it's one of those things the devs like to pretend is really easy because they're already tech saavy and for them it IS really easy, but in reality is one of the reasons fewer people ever actually use the software.

*sigh*

sorry, it's a beautiful interface, but every time I try to actually get enough of an understanding of the program to run or play in a game I end up frustrated, cursing myself for spending the money and put it "back on the shelf" for another six months.

mattcolville
March 6th, 2011, 21:23
in other words, it's one of those things the devs like to pretend is really easy because they're already tech saavy and for them it IS really easy, but in reality is one of the reasons fewer people ever actually use the software.

*sigh*

sorry, it's a beautiful interface, but every time I try to actually get enough of an understanding of the program to run or play in a game I end up frustrated, cursing myself for spending the money and put it "back on the shelf" for another six months.

You are my brother. :D Start a thread. Ask really stupid questions. Don't let people off the hook if you don't understand the answer. I'll help.

Craw
March 6th, 2011, 21:24
Zuess's walkthrough was made before the essentials line came out. There are a batch of errors that will still appear using his method. One additional step needs to be added (for each of the scrape-generated files).

See it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14215

That will get the mods created. A lot of the powers still parse with incorrect effects, however. You will need to test any that you use for accuracy. It is still doing 95-99% of the work versus hand creating entries, so it is worth the trouble. Especially for source books.