View Full Version : No special caracters support

January 29th, 2011, 16:15
Maybe it's a new bug, because it worked in all previous versions. My tests were only on the 4e ruleset.

The combat tracker do not recognize anymore any special caracters. Like ã, ç, á, à, ü, and so on. So, if we put a condition "Amaldiçoado" (Cursed), the combat tracker show the full name, but when the enemy get her turn, she show:
[TURN]Goblin Shaman - [Amaldi oado].

Monster with power with those caracters do not support the power box anymore. So, if you name some power like "Sopro de Dragão" (Dragon Breath), when you double click the power name, FG says:
[WARNING] unable to locate power 'Sopro de Drag o'

It worked on previous versions. I'm fine with the automated support for the original english terms, but some descriptive conditions (like can't shift, can't AoO, etc) must be writen, and the lack of special caracters are hurting our game a bit. Please, take a look at it.

Moon Wizard
January 31st, 2011, 23:04

As far as I can tell, this has not changed for the FG client or the 4E ruleset. However, specific implementations under the hood in the 4E ruleset could have been affected by the language issue.

After lots of research, I think I've found a workaround that should improve FG support for Latin-based languages. Check out the v2.7.5 test version in the Laboratory.


February 1st, 2011, 08:35
moon - I am willing to bet hard cash its down to the 4E fonts in use in the 4E ruleset. If I recall, the CT still uses the standard FGII fonts that were bundled with the original theme. The chatwindow on the other hand might be using some of the custom 4E themed fonts which I produced.

... and I only included the following characters:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX YZ
[email protected]$%^&*()-+"';:.,?/

This would at least explain the missing glyphs in the chatwindow messages. If I get some time later today I'll confirm by dumping the charset from the DnD fonts.

If support for other characters is required - I'll need a list of them as well as the keys they should map to, before I can create the new glyphs and update the fonts.

February 1st, 2011, 12:34
Can someone remind me why fg2 needs to use a custom font format rather than referencing windows fonts? Is there documentation somewhere on the font file format (I ask because in the future I'm going to need to calculate text position from control and mouse position to implement hit testing, and I'll need to be able to reverse-engineer the font rendering).

Moon Wizard
February 1st, 2011, 20:10

I have no idea why the original creators decided to go with a custom font format, but it would be a huge undertaking to rip out at this point. Essentially, the font tool generates a special bitmap file containing 256 bitmaps containing each character that could be displayed.

From past programming, I do know that one of the challenges of using built-in fonts is that you can't always assume fonts are installed. That means that you have more fuzziness around ruleset layout, plus more installation of "font" files, etc.


Moon Wizard
February 1st, 2011, 20:13

I was able to see the characters that the original poster pointed out just fine once I implemented the client patch.

The issue boiled down to %w in LUA string functions defaulting to using the "C" locale setting, which is the most restrictive [a-zA-Z]. By forcing it to use the locale setting of the local machine, this fixed the %w definition in LUA which was the source of his issues.


February 2nd, 2011, 00:44
Oh OK, cool, maybe I did add them then and have just forgotten. :o

February 2nd, 2011, 01:13
I have some personal problems with test versions, so I'll not be checking the 2.7.5 version. But I'm glad to hear that this will be solved on the next patch. Thanks.