PDA

View Full Version : Random client disconnects

primarch
January 25th, 2011, 21:35
Hi!

I've delved into the old post as well as the archived and I have seen mentioned to the following problem, but with apparently no resolution.

System specs

Intel Core i7 @2.67
RAM 12.0 GB (1600MHZ)
Hard Drives: 4 Western Digital 150gp Velociraptors 10000 RPM
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 295 (GPU 1 of 2)
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 2)
Router: Netgear WNDR3700 latest firmware upgrade.
Cable connection: Peak 30mbps download; 3mbps upload

Port forwarding set to 1802 for FG2. Static address in place as per posts pinned on the forums. router seems to have to "idle" status to turn off or on. All clients and server (I'm the one whom hosts) used WIRED connections. Measurements during game of connection speed for server and clients are within normal use parameters.

Other programs running with FG:
1. Teamspeak 3\
2. Winamp Shoutcast

Running in background

1. Seagate pro backup software
2. Auslogic boostspeed
3. razer Imperator configurator
4. Canon scanner panel

Our group has noticed pretty frequent client disconnects. We have been able to piece together the following:

1. Tends to occur when the client is idle. But not always
2. Tends to occur more to clients using Windows 7, but not always.
3. When the game was in full swing (everyone participating), the frequency of the occurrence went down, but it did not stop.
4. Never happened to the person that hosted the game (me).
5. Has occurred with two separate groups on two different days.
6. Disconnects occur with teamspeak or winamp disabled.
7. Behavior has increased since last FG update.
8. Disconnects occur with no error messages (FG disappears to desktop with no prompts of messages) and reconnecting is usually very quick.

Any thoughts on the cause of such behavior? The frequency has gotten quite annoying.

Any help appreciated!

Primarch

Wargamer777
January 26th, 2011, 21:38
I am in on Primarch's 4e game on Sundays and I can confirm this. I am using Windows 7 64bit O/S.

Griogre
January 27th, 2011, 04:24
The fact you seem to get more disconnects while the client is idle is unusual. I would double check the server's router is not set to open ports on "trigger" - some routers have a setting where the port is actually only opened when data passes through it and for a brief time after. You might get disconnects on an idle client from that. The fact that most of the clients seems to have problems hints it may be a server configuration problem.

However, I would check and make sure your idle client isn't using Facebook at the same time as FG. There is a know issue with Facebook apps causing FG to disconnect.

Oberoten
January 27th, 2011, 08:26
QoS Services on the host most likely. If you are idle it'll choke the connection to you.

- Obe

Wargamer777
January 27th, 2011, 13:34
Facebook causing disconnects? Sheesh... I know I didn't have any other web browser open during my disconnect, so at least that wasn't my problem.

Good suggestions on QoS and port triggering... let's see what Primarch has to say on those.

primarch
January 27th, 2011, 20:35
The fact you seem to get more disconnects while the client is idle is unusual. I would double check the server's router is not set to open ports on "trigger" - some routers have a setting where the port is actually only opened when data passes through it and for a brief time after. You might get disconnects on an idle client from that. The fact that most of the clients seems to have problems hints it may be a server configuration problem.

However, I would check and make sure your idle client isn't using Facebook at the same time as FG. There is a know issue with Facebook apps causing FG to disconnect.

Hi!

Facebook is not being used. Only open services are those mentioned in original post.

Port 1802 is set for port FORWARDING not port triggering. There are no entries under port triggering.

Primarch

primarch
January 27th, 2011, 21:11
QoS Services on the host most likely. If you are idle it'll choke the connection to you.

- Obe

The only two things checked in the QoS setup are:

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5GHz a/n)

NOT checked

Turn Internet Access QoS On
Turn Bandwidth Control On

I have not altered not edited in the default "Setup QoS" rules.

Since troubleshooting things is difficult without "seeing" things as they are I have provided screen shots of the different setting. Do not hesitate to ask for anything more specific of any other screen shots that would help.

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/RouterLANsetup.jpg

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/portforwarding.jpg

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/Porttriggering.jpg

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/Networkconnectiondetails2.jpg

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/Localareaconnectionproperties.jpg

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/IPv4properties.jpg

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/Basicroutersettings.jpg

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/QoSsetup.jpg

Thank you for your assistance.

Primarch

Phystus
January 27th, 2011, 23:21
In the 5th picture I see QoS packet scheduling checked. You need to uncheck that one.

Also, in picture 3 try clicking the 'disable port triggering' button.

Hope that helps!

~Phystus

Griogre
January 28th, 2011, 00:30
I did want to double check on the port forwarding screen that FG2 is being forwarded with TCP/IP not FTP it might be I just can't tell from the screen. And like Phystus says uncheck QoS Scheduling in the 5th screen.

primarch
January 28th, 2011, 01:57
I did want to double check on the port forwarding screen that FG2 is being forwarded with TCP/IP not FTP it might be I just can't tell from the screen. And like Phystus says uncheck QoS Scheduling in the 5th screen.

Hi!

Griogre, that pulldown menu just seems to be a shortcut for some predetermined services as shown here:

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/Portforward2.jpg

There is no TCP/IP option there.

I believe you want to see this:

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/FGport.jpg

and this:

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/primarchnetepic/FGport2.jpg

I have unchecked the QoS scheduling and disabled port triggering.

Any other suggestions?

Peter

Griogre
January 28th, 2011, 02:48
I'd set it to just TCP, myself just to be safe. I'd just give it a try and see if it makes a difference, there is a pretty good chance it was the QoS scheduling.

primarch
January 28th, 2011, 19:52
Hi!

Will do. My sessions are Sunday and Monday. So I will report on Tuesday my findings. Many thanks for you assistance!

Primarch

primarch
January 31st, 2011, 04:16
Hi!

Feedback after Sunday's session.

The behavior diminished, but has not disappeared. We went as far as to make sure no one (host or client) had the QoS scheduler applied in their network properties.

We tried different things to narrow down exactly when and how it happens.

I definitely happens when Fantasy ground is idle, BUT it only seems to disconnect IF the client has another window active (not FG). Like a browser, Teamspeak or other software.

Clients whom ONLY had FG active, even if idle (and sometimes idle in excess of 30 minutes) and no other programs running would not exhibit the behavior.

Clients whom had FG inactive and idle, running other problems as the active would experience the disconnect.

All said, we unfortunately had an instance or two of client disconnects regardless of additional programs running if FG was idle (active or not).

When we were actively playing it ran flawlessly, with no crashes during gaming. Any idle time (breaks, etc) showed the behavior.

Is it normal for FG to disconnect when idle and not the active Window?

We've gone through everything as far as settings in the OS and router and can't figure out what's going on.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Primarch

Oberoten
January 31st, 2011, 08:29
Hmm.... FG is a Direct 3d program. I might be going out on a limb here, but maybe screensaver kicking in might dissrupt that or some power-saving schemes?

- Obe

Zeus
January 31st, 2011, 20:17
Or maybe a network interface is being put into low power mode and the connection perhaps is being dropped as a result. Check the system power saver settings and make sure the network cards are not set to be powered down if the system becomes idle.

primarch
February 1st, 2011, 04:25
Hi!

Well, I seem to have more network issues that don't have to do anything with FG. I have been putting off an upgrade to Windows 7 and will take the plunge as I upgrade the system and do a clean install.

I'll report once more when the process is complete.

Primarch

peterb
February 9th, 2011, 00:17
Our group has a similar problem. We use Teamspeak 3 too. In our case the Teamspeak client disconnects and most of the time FG disconnects too. Sometimes FG disconnects but TS does not. I checked the TS site and the problem is a known bug that is still unresolved. TS seems to choke the IP connection and either disconnect or cause other applications to disconnect. There is no 100% proof solution as yet but the TS team recommends upgrading:
A) TS client and server to the latest release, and
B) Upgrade the sound drivers.

I've not yet implemented this fix but I will do so later this week.

gmkieran
February 9th, 2011, 01:19
Not a solution, necessarily, but an alternative - you might try switching to Ventrilo for your voice. We've used that consistently since I started playing and have never had it interfere with the IP bandwidth. That said, FG does on rare occasions interfere with Vent, requiring you to change focus to Vent before you can speak; enabling a key-stroke to turn on the mic gets around that, though.

primarch
February 9th, 2011, 03:05
Hi!

I have upgrading all remaining computers to windows 7, but didn't have any sessions this weekend.

I have never had problems with Teamspeak 3. No disconnects ever. I prefer it to Ventrillo since Teamspeak 3 has a built file sharing system which has been vital for us.

I will be hosting my usual games this coming weekend and we'll see how it goes. I'll report back then.

Primarch

Griogre
February 9th, 2011, 03:20
I also use a dedicated TS3 server. I suppose its possible it has something to do with one of my players crashing out, but a poor wireless connection seemed more likely.

bradbdavis
February 9th, 2011, 03:31
Hello, I've posted notes on the current release thread for similar issues.

I have at least one or two clients dropped from FG at some point while playing. We all use Skype + FG. I had the players send me the console.log after the game (where they were dropped) and it had this in it:

[03.02.2011 22:02] Network Warning: HTTP/1.1 404 NOT FOUND

Just FYI...

peterb
February 9th, 2011, 11:48
Where can one find the console.log? I can't find any such file on my PC.

Oberoten
February 9th, 2011, 12:01
The console.log is created on errors occuring within the application data folder, easiest to reach this folder is using the link in the Fantasy Grounds II folder on the start menu.

- Obe

Moon Wizard
February 9th, 2011, 19:28
Also, the additional error codes that Brad posted are from the Test version 2.7.5. If you have a chance, please run with 2.7.5 and send me the console.log file after your games. (There may not be one if there are no errors.) It should be in the root of the FG data directory.

Thanks,
JPG