PDA

View Full Version : holy crap

londwiley
January 25th, 2011, 07:12
wow what have i got myself into, watching the fg tutorials made it seem so easy. Thought i could make a game and get the ole gang together, which are now scattered across the states..... welll to the point then! I am so not understanding any of this, I think i am in over my head if anyone can through me a bone it would be greatly appreciated.

Fot5
January 25th, 2011, 16:38
What is it that you need help with?

londwiley
January 26th, 2011, 03:21
First of all I would like to thank you for responding! Im gonna have to say everything. I would like to first learn how to create the module or import it in i have no programing skills what so ever.

Fot5
January 26th, 2011, 17:03
First, have you used the program yet as a player? Having an understanding of what the interface is like may be the best way to start. Once you understand that, you may want to create a campaign and explore what the interface is like on the GM side of the software. Personally, I would do both of these (and at least run an encounter from both sides of the program--PC and GM) before trying to create an adventure module. It'll be pretty difficult to understand how to set something up if you aren't familiar with the software in general. Perhaps you already understand these components, and if you do, let me know and I can give you a few pointers about how to do that.

Have you seen Xorn's introductions to the software yet (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12665)? They are top-notch. One of them specifically addresses your question about how to create a campaign module without having to use the parser (although I highly recommend the parser if you have a DDI subscriptions).

mattcolville
January 31st, 2011, 02:50
A lot of people followed my horrible, awful, torturous learning process where I many times wanted to punch the SmiteWorks people in the nuts and watching me learn helped them and that made me feel it was worth it.

The result is, after literally WEEKS of work and frustration I ran a single encounter today for three friends in Seattle, Las Vegas and Orange County and it went great. These three guys had never used the software, and it still worked pretty well.

I should do my own video tutorial. The ones Xorn did aren't simple enough and in some places, pretty confusing.

Everyone here was really nice! You'll get lots of help! The problem is, most of the people replying here are used to the way FG2 works and it can be hard for someone who takes it all for granted to understand the questions of someone who whom NONE of this makes sense

You want to run a 4E game, yes?

Koldoon
March 6th, 2011, 21:04
remembering (as I do) a time before Xorne's tutorials, I have to give him credit for making them. On the same token, a lot of folks here make out that this is an easy program to figure out... and frankly it's not.

I tried maptool too. But I didn't like the lack of tabletop feel to it... and the folks there are even worse about thinking everything about the program is easy than they are here.

On the other hand, I didn't pay for a license to maptool (which is free) and I did for FGII, so I have different levels of expectations.

I've pulled it off the shelf (again) and am trying also to get a handle on the program again (which has, in all fairness, changed dramatically from last time I pulled it off the shelf). Maybe this time I'll finally be able to get it working. Maybe.

mattcolville
March 6th, 2011, 21:22
remembering (as I do) a time before Xorne's tutorials, I have to give him credit for making them. On the same token, a lot of folks here make out that this is an easy program to figure out... and frankly it's not.

It's not and people who act like it is are harming the product and its chances in the marketplace. You look at Campaign Cartographer, and this is an incredibly abstruse piece of software...but the ProFant guys know that. There's tutorials out there for everything, they do their best to try and teach you CAD software and even with all their effort, the learning curve is incredibly steep.

The fans, even the people who make something, are often the wrong people to teach it to someone else, and this includes designing the UI. That's why I'm going to do my own tutorials, I've spent years teaching games and software to people and I'm convinced I can do a better job and make it easier for the people who come after me. But I need more time in the tool first.

On the other hand, I didn't pay for a license to maptool (which is free) and I did for FGII, so I have different levels of expectations.

The community here is great. If you have questions, they will answer them. I guess I should say, we will answer them, because I am part of this community. The software works and does stuff no other solution can, and based on what I'm hearing coming out of WotC, what maybe no solution ever will do.

But the problem, as I think you've encountered, is that a lot of people here act like this is a fan forum, instead of a customer support forum. You've paid your money and if you think the software is crap, you should say so. And say why. You're a customer, not a fan, and this is the only place for customers to complain or report issues or ask questions.

People will jump on you for talking about your issues, but take it easy on them. They're obviously fans, they love the software, they feel like its unfairly under attack and naturally want to defend it, which is great.

I've pulled it off the shelf (again) and am trying also to get a handle on the program again (which has, in all fairness, changed dramatically from last time I pulled it off the shelf). Maybe this time I'll finally be able to get it working. Maybe.

I feel your pain. I'm thinking about maybe running a weekly Intro Encounter, just for people who have no idea how this thing works or what it can do. Premade characters, one encounter, just get people in and playing as quickly and simply as possible and learn the basics of the interface and the terminology.

I did a lot of work to figure this stuff out and I want to share that knowledge. :D

vodokar
March 10th, 2011, 03:32
One thing to point out is that you don't have to create an entire adventure module in FG in order to run a game.

Many GM's just enter maps and tokens only and just run the rest of the module with pen and paper - like you would if you were face to face.

You can then learn to use other bits of the software little by little, if you want, and at your own pace. The next step would likely be to learn how to enter npc/monster stats and then the next step, learning to preconfigure encounters.

Then there are things you can learn about how to work with the combat tracker to enable targeting effects. And there are a bunch of other cool stuff you can learn, if you want, but isn't mandatory.

You don't really need to learn anything else if you don't want to. I almost never actually make "adventure modules" totally in the software. It isn't really necessary, unless you just want to go completely paperless.

The point is: don't feel you have to learn all of it at once or even that you have to learn it all. Those extra features are there to help make your life easier, but they aren't all totally necessary just to run a game. After all, we didn't have all that in the old days and we got along just fine. Just learn things as you go and pick and choose what features will best make your life easier.

devfrag
March 14th, 2011, 23:16
One thing to point out is that you don't have to create an entire adventure module in FG in order to run a game.

Many GM's just enter maps and tokens only and just run the rest of the module with pen and paper - like you would if you were face to face.

You can then learn to use other bits of the software little by little, if you want, and at your own pace. The next step would likely be to learn how to enter npc/monster stats and then the next step, learning to preconfigure encounters.

Then there are things you can learn about how to work with the combat tracker to enable targeting effects. And there are a bunch of other cool stuff you can learn, if you want, but isn't mandatory.

You don't really need to learn anything else if you don't want to. I almost never actually make "adventure modules" totally in the software. It isn't really necessary, unless you just want to go completely paperless.

The point is: don't feel you have to learn all of it at once or even that you have to learn it all. Those extra features are there to help make your life easier, but they aren't all totally necessary just to run a game. After all, we didn't have all that in the old days and we got along just fine. Just learn things as you go and pick and choose what features will best make your life easier.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Keep it super simple in the beginning. Take it from someone who tried to learn the entire interface before running a session. Instead of having fun with my friends I was wasting a lot of time thinking I had to know it all. Also, let your players help you learn FG2! Have them connect and go through the process of entering a character together. They'll find stuff you won't and will feel more engaged in the process.

Then find, or better yet, make a super simple map in MSPaint. Enter a couple of monsters in and go from there. The rest will come in time. Go through a couple of sessions like this and then go back and review Xorne's videos. They'll make more sense the 2nd time around. I'll be willing to help if you need it. PM me.

Thanks

AnAxeToGrind
March 16th, 2011, 01:59
Alot of us forget what it was like back in the early 4E and 3.5 days when the program was simple and using it was a cake walk.

Jpeg has done an awesome job with the Ruleset and looking at all the things I do on a weekly basis (and all the things the system does for me) I guess it could be a little daunting.

I recently introduced my cousin to 4E and FGII at the same time (in the midst of a paragon level campaign). I understand your frustration. :)

I am also trying to start a Hackmaster Campaign and have downloaded to other VT's. I finally gave up and am trying to write my own ruleset (a very daunting task as I dig into). Hats off to all the good rulesets out there!

The learning curve and pre-made rulesets of FG are way easier to use. So yes some of us are fanboys and some of us are just set in our old ways.

Welcome to the forums and I hope your experiences improve.

PS Picking up one of us old timers to run thru a session for you or with you might improve your experience a bit.

Zeus
March 16th, 2011, 14:58
I would normally invite you to join one of my 4E games as an observer, so as to help you get a feel for FGII very quickly.

Unfortunately both of my games are currently over subscribed with players and observers so as soon as a place frees up I'll be glad to host. I'll keep you posted.

kurtyboh
March 16th, 2011, 16:38
I invited you to my campaign(*crosses fingers that nothing else goes wrong) There's a bunch of info on the page as well as my blog which is listed there as well. If you're there just to see how it all goes down it shouldn't be a problem but I have quite a few people playing currently.