PDA

View Full Version : Export tool: PCGen -> D20_JPG

Phystus
January 25th, 2011, 00:07
I originally posted this in the D20/OGL forum, but am reposting here for those who might miss it there.

I've seen several requests for a way to export characters from PCGen to Fantasy Grounds. Long ago, in an old version of the d20_jpg ruleset, Moon Wizard made such a tool available. Alas, it had some bugs, and he did not include it in later versions.

I did a bit of cleanup on it so I could put it to personal use, and I have found it to be quite handy. Now, with Moon Wizard's kind permission, I am posting it here for everyone.

I have only tested this with PCGen version 5.10.1, so compatibility with other versions is unknown. I also have never tried exporting to a campaign created under the D20 or 3.5E rulesets, so I would also be interested to hear of other people's experience with that.

You're free to tinker with this as you please, but I would request that you share your improvements with the forum so they can be included in future versions.

In the zip file you will find the two output sheets, one to create PC output and one to create NPC's, along with a readme.txt file with instructions for installing and using the sheets.

Enjoy!

Version 0.1 Known Bugs(B)/Limitations(L)

(B) Coins do not export properly to PC sheets
(L) Spells not linked to 3.5E Spells entries on PC sheets
(L) Inventory not linked on PC sheets

~P

martinblake
May 12th, 2011, 07:23
Thanks for posting this Phystus,

I was having problems running the PC output in the current stable (5.16.4) and alpha (5.17.6) versions of PCGen. It would always bomb out after writing the "<inventorylist>" tag.

I've found that the COUNT[EQTYPE...] command (line 145) was causing the problem and nailed it down to a limit on the length of the statement (around 30 characters?). To do a quick fix, I separated the COUNT statement into 3 statements.

So, change this:

<inventorylist>
|FOR,%eqno,0,(COUNT[EQUIPMENT]-COUNT[EQTYPE.COIN.ADD.POTION.ADD.WAND.ADD.SCROLL.ADD.POI SON])-1,1,1|

To this:

<inventorylist>
|FOR,%eqno,0,(COUNT[EQUIPMENT]-COUNT[EQTYPE.COIN.ADD.POTION]-COUNT[EQTYPE.WAND.ADD.SCROLL]-COUNT[EQTYPE.POISON])-1,1,1|

This seems to make it parse through and populate the inventory list fine.

Now I can load all of my player's Pathfinder characters and stop them complaining about having to enter them manually! :)

Thanks again for providing these.

Cheers!

Phystus
May 13th, 2011, 01:05
Excellent find, Martin! Thank you. I will incorporate it into my next version, along with a fix for the coin issue and some improvements for the NPC sheet.

I'm glad you've found it useful, and thanks for taking the time to find the issue and post the fix!

~P