PDA

View Full Version : How would you guys do the Hexblade?

mattcolville
January 24th, 2011, 01:28
A friend of mine is running a Hexblade and a lot of their powers revolve around their weird magic weapon, in this case the Blade of Annihilation.

But I can't figure out exactly what that thing is. Even the actual text in the Compendium isn't super helpful. One bit says "You gain the Blade of...." then everything else says "This requires the..." but nowhere is the Blade of Annihilation actually defined.

I'm hoping someone here is ahead of the curve on this. :D

mattcolville
January 24th, 2011, 09:11
Ok, I've made a little progress here and found out what a Blade of Annihilation actually is. It's not listed in many places you'd expect it to be listed under, but it is in the Compendium as its own thing.

It's a Military, Melee, One-handed heavy blade with +2 Prof. and 1d12 damage.

Now I've got that all entered here, GM-side. I created an item and gave it all that data. It's not a magic item, the Blade is not inherently magical.

But once again I seem unable to just add the item to the Character's combat section. I can add it to his inventory. But that's it. I tried logging in to my own game as the player and taking control of the character, but I couldn't even SEE the blade in the item tab as the player.

Furthermore, as I look around, I don't seem able to just drag a normal weapon from the PHB Weapons Table into the Item's tab.

As far as I can tell, it's treating the Blade as a magic item, even though it's not. When I have both the Blade and a Longsword in the Inventory, I get two different data sets when I click on the icon. The longsword just shows me a white record with fields for cost and weight, etc... and the Blade brings up a whole sheet where everything is defined and user-editable.

I'm not sure, but I think that means it thinks the Blade is a magic item. It's not. I don't want to create a magic item. I want to create a normal item. There's no actual normal item that has exactly these properties, so how should I go about it?

mattcolville
January 24th, 2011, 09:11
Oops, double post

Griogre
January 24th, 2011, 18:31
Add it to the HotFK Weapon file in the parser under the following list:
ZHead; Military; Melee
ZHead2; One-Handed

The actual line would be:
ZWeap; Blade of Annihilation;+2;1d12;0;0;0;Heavy blade;Infernal hexblade

Personally I wouldn't normally bother to add this, I just drag out a long sword or bastard sword and drop it into inventory and edit it. I'd do it that way since you are are going to have to edit the blade on the combat tab every time the Hexblade gets a new implement so the only time you would ever actually use this data is once per hexblade and I don't think its worth the time of data entry. :p

While the parser does a good job with the Essential's builds, these builds are not regular the same way the PHs and Splats are with powers at non-standard levels and class abilities that are not powers that would not show up in DDI. If someone doesn't have a book, then you are going to have to lean heavily on DDI's Character Builder to not miss non power class abilities.

mattcolville
January 24th, 2011, 19:18
I admit to being a little surprised there's not way, in Fantasy Grounds, to just create a mundane weapon from scratch.

How do I edit a mundane item, as you suggest? I dragged a Greataxe in, since the blade is basically a one-handed Greataxe, but I don't seem able to edit any of its properties.

When you say "Add it to the HotFK Weapon file in the parser," do you mean edit the post-scrape weapon.txt file and then re-parse? Pretty sure I can do that, I had to edit the Magic Items file and parse to remove some weird stuff in the item headers.

Griogre
January 24th, 2011, 20:58
I admit to being a little surprised there's not way, in Fantasy Grounds, to just create a mundane weapon from scratch.
The player can - just open the character sheet, click on the combat tab and right click in the Weapons/Implements pane and select create an item. That will give you a blank weapon/implement line that you can fill in.

How do I edit a mundane item, as you suggest? I dragged a Greataxe in, since the blade is basically a one-handed Greataxe, but I don't seem able to edit any of its properties.
If you go to the Combat Tab and look at the item you dropped you should be able to edit it. Where you trying to do this in inventory?

When you say "Add it to the HotFK Weapon file in the parser," do you mean edit the post-scrape weapon.txt file and then re-parse? Pretty sure I can do that, I had to edit the Magic Items file and parse to remove some weird stuff in the item headers.
Yes, correct the post scrape weapon text file. Not that post scrape matters much right now as DDI doesn't have mundane weapons or armors tied to any rulebooks just to "multisource". :p