PDA

View Full Version : 4E questions about Fantasy Grounds

uaioe
January 18th, 2011, 21:51
Greetings,

I am very new here, and I was wondering if the 4E ruleset was built into the full client. I was also wondering if there was a specific thread that had some of the extra toolsets and tiles for 4E.

Also, are the licenses for the full version able to be used by someone other than the purchaser? The reason I ask is that my gaming group sometimes switches out the DM for quick, "one-timer" adventures if we are unable to all meet at the same time.

Any help would be great! (I'm working on watching the tutorial videos right now) :)

-uaioe

EugeneZ
January 19th, 2011, 04:41
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Yep, the 4E ruleset is built into the product. However, unlike 3.5e/d20, the monsters, items, and other "stat blocks" from the core books are not available because of licensing changes by WotC between editions. But the ruleset is fully supported mechanically.

As for a single thread to find 4e materials... too many to list. Many find Tenian's parser (https://dnd-4e.blogspot.com/) to be a useful tool if you have a DDI subscription. It will allow you to scrape the DDI data into FG2 modules. Dr. Zeuss's tools and extensions (https://zgp.eugenez.net/) have likewise been invaluable to me.

To answer your last question, I believe that the license states that once you install FG2 with a certain key, you own that key and can't transfer it. To accomplish what you suggest would be troublesome even if it was allowed -- you'd need to either re-install the whole application every time you wanted to switch (which would require you to download all the updates, too) or to learn how to change the key in the registry.

Leonal
January 19th, 2011, 04:47
Buy full licenses for everyone (in one order to get the discount) and you won't have a switching problem. :)

uaioe
January 21st, 2011, 20:45
Thanks! Our current group is seriously thinking about getting together online, so we're looking into this program.

We're all pretty busy, and $$ is always an issue too. hehe.

Anyway, I'll keep checking around in the forums here and asking questions!