PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset Install Bug - Rolemaster Classic Wipes Out BRP

dstack1776
January 17th, 2011, 02:45
It took me a while to see precisely what's happened but I've just managed to reproduce it.

I'm running Fantasy Grounds 2.7.3, fully updated. I had Call of Cthulhu and the BRP Rulesets installed. When I installed Rolemaster Classic the BRP ruleset vanished. Moreover it could not be reinstalled without fully uninstalling Fantasy Grounds and then wiping out the Fantasy Grounds Application Data Folder.

dstack1776
January 17th, 2011, 03:09
An update...

If I install Rolemaster Classic first and then try to install BRP I receive an error message telling me that BRP cannot be installed as there is already a newer version installed. Then if I uninstall Rolemaster Classic it turns out I can then install BRP.

The software developer in me is guessing that Rolemaster Classic has some internal tag that makes it appear identical to BRP.

StuartW
January 17th, 2011, 06:25
Which versions of the rulesets are you trying to install? I wrote the original installer for BRP and RMC, and it didn't use to have this problem, so I'm guessing it has happened on newer releases only.

The software developer in you is almost certainly right: MSI installers have an id (called a globally-unique id) which identifies the product being installed, and if this *isn't* globally-unique then the installer will first uninstall what it thinks is the older version before installing itself.

Stuart

dstack1776
January 17th, 2011, 14:21
BRP has a 1.0.410 in its file name and RMC has a v12.

ddavison
January 17th, 2011, 16:36
This is confirmed. We will work to get it addressed quickly.

ddavison
January 21st, 2011, 05:46
dstack,

Many apologies for the error. This has been fixed and a new download is posted that should re-install just fine. You can read about a few other subtle changes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14025

-Doug