PDA

View Full Version : [FATE] Fantasy FATE Games - UK time

Valarian
January 15th, 2011, 14:16
In the European FG2 RPG group, we're currently running a Dark Ages Sword & Sorcery game using a bare bones FATE system on Friday nights (8pm UK time). This has been running for 11 weeks so far and we've just started the third scenario in the on-going campaign.

I'm also about to start a Fantasy (Celtic low-magic) game using the Legends of Anglerre FATE rules. The game will be a little more traditional fantasy than the Dark Ages game, but still not High Fantasy. This will run on Sunday nights (8pm UK time), after the conclusion of our current Dark Ages Cthulhu game (probably starting in a week or two).

Both games are looking for players if anyone is interested in joining us. The GM running the Dark Ages game and I both have the Ultimate version of FGII. So if any newbies wish to try out a game before buying, you would be welcome.

FATE in a nutshell: https://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-csrd:nutshell
Legends of Anglerre (preview): https://www.cubicle-7.com/legends/downloads/LOA_preview_1.pdf

Note ... players will not have to buy anything in order to play. Rules and concepts will be explained and FATE is easy to pick up once you get in to it.

Valarian
January 16th, 2011, 16:54
Calendar Entry here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=564

malachi666
January 16th, 2011, 20:55
I am very intereseted. I own the anglerre book. I have applied in the calendar. I am in the EST, which puts me at 3 p.m. for start time. Now if this game is every Sunday, I may miss the odd session when I am out of town for the weekend. This is rare though.

Ihave the full version of FG.

Valarian
January 16th, 2011, 21:07
Okay, that makes five players signed up in the calendar. The first session will probably be in a week or two. As mentioned above, we're completing a Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages game at the moment. We'll do character building during the first session as it's best done together with the FATE system. If you have character ideas in the meantime, feel free to note them here or come and join us on the Google group.

malachi666
January 16th, 2011, 21:15
OK when you say you are going to run a Celtic Fanasty type game, I am not sure what that means. Do you mean that they setting will be ancient ireland? Or do you mean Arthurian? I am just not sure what you mean by that.

What sort of characters are you looking for? Obviously it is a low magic game, but what about divine?

Valarian
January 16th, 2011, 21:31
Are you familiar with Katherine Kerr's Deverry cycle books? The home brew setting is based loosely on that setting. Arthurian or Welsh myth is another source, though there's also some Norse and Saxon stuff in there too. I'll also be drawing on the backgrounds and aspects of the characters once they're created.

malachi666
January 16th, 2011, 21:46
OK this makes sense.

malachi666
January 17th, 2011, 03:26
what level did you have in mind for characters? Good, Great or Superb?

Valarian
January 17th, 2011, 08:38
Good or Great probably, depending on what the general consensus is and what everyone feels about an extended campaign. The character building session is likely to be on the 30th January.

malachi666
January 17th, 2011, 15:19
Sorry to bother again, but what is the frequenct of this game? Are we playing each Sunday or every other Sunday?

Also, will this be text based or Skype based?

Crueldespot
January 17th, 2011, 16:47
Count me in, or if you are full, add me to the waiting list. I've been reading the transcripts for the Ravenar Saga, and I like the style quite a bit. I also posted a response to your notice in the Google group. How do you handle character creation? What's the "hook" to tie the characters to each other and to the plot?

Valarian
January 18th, 2011, 08:51
Sorry to bother again, but what is the frequenct of this game? Are we playing each Sunday or every other Sunday?
The game will be weekly, unless something comes up that cuts the majority of players out (or the GM).

Also, will this be text based or Skype based?
We play text-only via the FG2 chat. We keep threatening to use Skype for OOC chat, but never get around to it.

Count me in, or if you are full, add me to the waiting list. I've been reading the transcripts for the Ravenar Saga, and I like the style quite a bit. I also posted a response to your notice in the Google group. How do you handle character creation? What's the "hook" to tie the characters to each other and to the plot?
I think the ideal for FG2 is between 3 and 5 players. More than this gets unwieldy. However, I'm sure we can squeeze a sixth in there. Join us for character creation.

In FATE, you create your characters in the group. You announce the concept that you want to play, and build up from there. At each stage, you take it in turns to announce your background - so other players can build links to other characters as the players wish. Basically, through discussion of the characters in the group, the aim is to get a better group.

The plot can be influenced by choosing aspects such as "The Dark Order of Haldeth". In that case, the player has announced that that particular order exists in the game world, and that his character has some sort of connection to it. The details can be discussed with the GM, put in to character notes, or left to the GM to decide how to fit it in. Compels (things that cause you difficulty as a character/group) on that aspect would earn you FATE points to spend.

Jakeeeboy
January 22nd, 2011, 16:02
How long will the sessions be?

Valarian
January 22nd, 2011, 18:11
We usually play from 8pm to somewhere near 11pm, so around 3 hours.

Valarian
January 29th, 2011, 13:39
A reminder that the character building session for Celtic Legends is tomorrow (Sun 30th Jan).
FATE in a nutshell: https://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-csrd:nutshell
Calendar Entry here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=564