PDA

View Full Version : question on magic user creation

jboyd4650
January 14th, 2011, 16:21
Was wondering if someone could give a quick run down on how to create a magic user type character with FG. Mainly, how to get the spells on the character sheet, and have them appear on the combat tracker. I think I understand the rules (spell law), but I am not sure of the implementation in FG.
Do I need to buy the spell skill, and make it the list, ie Magician, Earth Law?...then put the actual spells from the list, that are known, under the spell tab? And how do I note the level the list is learned...B,D,E?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
James

StuartW
January 15th, 2011, 05:53
The character creation walkthrough, which comes as a PDF and should be copied to Program Files/Digital Adventures/Rolemaster Classic for Fantasy Grounds II when you install the ruleset, should answer most of your queries, but isn't explicit about spell lists.

To get spell lists on your character, you need to open the Library (stack of books icon), select Spell Law on the left hand side and the type of spell lists (such as Mentalism Spell Lists) on the right hand side. This will show you a window with all the spell lists in it. Drag the spell list from that window onto the Spells tab of your character sheet.

Once the list is on your character sheet, you can record the maximum level to which it is learned and also the % chance to learn another pick if the character is partway through spending development points on it.

Hope that helps

Stuart

PS: I don't have the most recent version of Rolemaster, so the install file location may have changed. If you can't see it in the Digital Adventures folder, try looking for a SmiteWorks folder.

jboyd4650
January 15th, 2011, 18:42
thanks Stuart,

that did help, though, now I'm not too sure on the spell skill, and directed spell skill. I am guessing that directed spell would be used for spells that need to be 'aimed' at a target, too.

StuartW
January 15th, 2011, 21:48
Directed spell is just what you think: skill to aim a missile-type spell where a hit is needed against the target.

jboyd4650
January 16th, 2011, 03:10
thanks, again.

really am liking this game, now :)

BishopOmega
February 7th, 2011, 20:53
I have always found magic users to be complicated to roll up using Rolemaster.

nazzy
April 28th, 2011, 05:14
I just installed the Rolemaster ruleset and I've searched my entire install drive looking for some instruction on using the character creation. Does anyone know if it's still included in the ruleset?
Thanks.
--Continued to search and found the referenced PDF in another thread.