PDA

View Full Version : skills problems

fantomu
January 12th, 2011, 04:13
hey i just got the full version and i cant find out how to adjust the available ranks for the skills is this something im looking over or is there somewhere else to adjust the info

thanks fantomu

madman
January 12th, 2011, 06:47
at least in the rulesets i have used. You need to right click on the skills page and select direct adjustment. then just highlight the feild and type a number.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Moon Wizard
January 12th, 2011, 07:15
There is actually some code to allow you to track skill points and class skills by each class, as well as assigning the correct improvements when spending a skill point (+0.5 vs. +1).

However, I've always felt that the interface for this was never very good in the 3.5E ruleset line. I always ended up using the direct adjustment option myself. I plan to remove the complexity in the next 3.5E release, and just make direct adjustment the only way.

Cheers,
JPG

fantomu
January 12th, 2011, 14:48
thanks that's what i needed

Bidmaron
January 12th, 2011, 16:08
While the interface is non-intuitive, it is nice to enforce the rules and not require the gm to check for players' mistakes. I'd hate to see it abandoned.

SLB
January 12th, 2011, 21:27
Yeah, it took a little trial and error for us to figure out how the skills worked (using JPG ruleset) but once we figured it out it's pretty straightforward.

Any thoughts to adding a help button to the radial menu so you can click on any element and get a pop-up help dialog box? I imagine you could get the entire help text provided through the community and the existing library and it would allow you to leave in the more complicated systems.

Couldn't this be done through a dedicated help.xml file and a modification to the radial menu? (see how optomistic and naive I am :) )

Bidmaron
January 13th, 2011, 03:05
The trouble with the right click menu thing is that it is extremely labor-intensive to write the code to do it, let alone the actual material that shows up when the user selects it. Most ruleset coders are much more interested in putting their time toward adding/fixing features.