PDA

View Full Version : Please Please Please Add....

Czarisyn
January 12th, 2011, 02:12
...a progress/status bar of what is currently being downloaded, and a latency meter of some sort for the clients

For the Host, a way to determine latency to each user, like a small colored icon that overlays on their avatar, what the host is currently uploading to the users and a progress bar for each user (could have is show beneath the avatar) for when uploading is occurring

when I mean uploading, I'm not talking about text or chatting, just modules, images, maps, things of that nature

could also have these as optional toggles in the options menu

This would help dramatically on determining connection issues, cache issues, or anything else that may stop a game and cause headaches for the GM and players.

Oberoten
January 13th, 2011, 11:08
I'd suggest just a slash command like /ping or /latency or even /netstat. Less intrusive and reminding it is a computer. While a updating realtime meter might be good for a futuristic or modern game it'd look like crap in a fantasy game.

- Obe

Leonal
January 14th, 2011, 04:18
I agree with Oberotens suggestion. No need to have it visible at all times.

Don't know if it'd be possible, but if the avatar of those who receive an image gradually fills up in the lower left corner as it is transferred, it could better give an indication of how much of an image was transferred.

Czarisyn
January 14th, 2011, 15:02
That's why I said option, to be intended as a toggle for the times where issues are arising or testing of connection. :D

Either way, just having any kind of function to determine possible issues rather than going through the motions blindly would be a great asset.

Zeus
January 14th, 2011, 17:15
If the devs could expose some more states through the User. onUserStateChange() method it might be possible to add a handler that updates a small widget graphic on each connected users PC portrait, similar to the little circle of color each one has indicating which color the player has chosen for his/her dice, to indicate data transfer.

This way its rpg style generic and non-intrusive to the feel of the game. I guess the circle could fill as data is being transferred. Just a thought.

Blue Haven
January 14th, 2011, 19:00
This would be a great thing :) my vote!!

Griogre
January 14th, 2011, 19:47
I'm like Obi, in that I don't think the meter should be very intrusive. You only really care about stuff like that when there is a problem and usually after an initial setup there are very few problems and usually with only one player and usually when that player first joins. That would mean 95% of the time you would have space being taken up on the interface with stuff you don't care about. There would also be additional network overhead on the meter too.

I'd like having a slash command or a high latency warning that only appears on a problem. I do think a progress bar on the map sends would be a good idea though so the GM could see just how fast (or really slow) any one map transfers.

Blue Haven
January 15th, 2011, 13:02
I'm like Obi, in that I don't think the meter should be very intrusive. You only really care about stuff like that when there is a problem and usually after an initial setup there are very few problems and usually with only one player and usually when that player first joins. That would mean 95% of the time you would have space being taken up on the interface with stuff you don't care about. There would also be additional network overhead on the meter too.

I'd like having a slash command or a high latency warning that only appears on a problem. I do think a progress bar on the map sends would be a good idea though so the GM could see just how fast (or really slow) any one map transfers.

Yes!! that way you can see what is causing the problems like maps or modules that have too much stuff on...good idea :)