PDA

View Full Version : Runtime Error: Cache file write error

Blacky
January 5th, 2011, 23:05
We have this error coming up quite often (between a couple each half hour of play to maybe 1 every 2 hours of play) in the Console popup.

I thought this was a Ruleset thingie, so I did a new test.

Both FG2 are fully updated to this date.

Create a Campaign, using the D&D3.5 official default Ruleset, nothing fancy
Player connect, create a PC, choose a custom portrait for his PC
GM add images to his "\images" campaign directory
Open one of those image (166KB of size, jpeg) as a map, create a mask, create a NPC, add NPC and PC to the map
/save
Quit FG2
Relaunch FG2, Player reconnect
Two errors appear on the player side : "Runtime Error: Cache file write error" in a popup console; and a "Could not complete file transfer of file portrait_id_-00001_token" etc. error appear in player chat. See images below.

https://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/15/65/32/79/erreur12.jpg

https://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/15/65/32/79/erreur10.jpg

That's a new campaign, with only one player. The GM had no network issues and over 800kb/s of upload free. The player had a smaller bandwidth (2Mb/s down, 90Kb/s up free) but nothing really extraordinary bad either.

Any ideas? Is there a debug or dump or trace mode of FG2 that I could use to create a much more internal detailed report to send to the FG support/dev?

Moon Wizard
January 6th, 2011, 00:19
I'm not sure about the cache write error message. That error message should only appear if the program tries to remove a file in the cache on the client side, and it fails to delete. It might happen if you try to run 2 client instances on the same machine, but I haven't tested this.

On the token message:
There is a token on one of your maps that was created by dragging a portrait from the character list on the upper left to a map. Since the portraits are originally supplied by the client, the host checks to see if the client who provided the portrait is connected which generates the error when they are not. It's a semi-bug, as the host has a local copy that it saves anyways. You can address by removing any tokens generated by portraits, and by only using tokens from the token box.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
January 6th, 2011, 01:27
Thanks for the quick follow up.

I'm not sure about the cache write error message. That error message should only appear if the program tries to remove a file in the cache on the client side, and it fails to delete. It might happen if you try to run 2 client instances on the same machine, but I haven't tested this.
Nope, I have experienced this while running only one instance of FG2.

Oh I forgot to mention it, this was done under WinXP Pro 32bits SP3 (up to date as of last week round patch; and not virtualized or anything).

On the token message:
There is a token on one of your maps that was created by dragging a portrait from the character list on the upper left to a map. Since the portraits are originally supplied by the client, the host checks to see if the client who provided the portrait is connected which generates the error when they are not. It's a semi-bug, as the host has a local copy that it saves anyways. You can address by removing any tokens generated by portraits, and by only using tokens from the token box.
I understand that, make sense. But in that instance, it's the player who got the token error.

There was only two character on the map. One was dragged from the combat tracker (originally from the token box), one was dragged from the PC portrait.

So how could the player got this error, since it had the portrait as a local file, and since the error happened after his connection (if he got the error before connecting, that would be a first ;))?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't remember seeing this error as a GM (or hearing a GM complaining of this error) at all...

Is it possible FG2 instantiate some kind of object when the GM load his campaign (hence loading the map with the player portrait on it, having silently the error, and somehow triggering a delayed token error message later one), or that even if the portrait is a local one for the player client it will ask the server to give the cached portrait file and the server don't supply it?

Moon Wizard
January 6th, 2011, 08:49
The error will only appear on the client, not the host. Essentially, the client receives a map with a list of token instances. In this case, one of the instances is a portrait token. The client requests a copy of the portrait token; however, for some reason the portrait token is not available.

As I mentioned, it's a semi-bug. I plan on looking at it with the next version, since the issue is resolved internally after generating the error message. The workaround is to not use portrait tokens.

Cheers,
JPG

Blacky
January 6th, 2011, 10:59
Ok for the portrait/token, thanks.

Any ideas on correcting the cache file error? We experienced some weird resources sharing bug (token appearing for some, not for others, and not always the same) that's kinda hard to pre-debug (isolate exactly the bug, and reproduce it exactly) and I have a feeling the cache write error might be related.

Moon Wizard
January 6th, 2011, 11:35
No ideas at this point. That error only shows up when a file is replaced in the cache with a newer version, and the old version can not be deleted. My guess is that it is a corrupted cache file, or related to the portrait tokens.

Cheers,
JPG

cutlass
April 9th, 2013, 19:29
Try going to the AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\cache folder (client side) , rightclick and turn off "read only"

Blacky
July 18th, 2013, 14:56
Already tried to no effect.

Griogre
July 18th, 2013, 18:24
If you delete the cache file for the campaign does the error come back?

Moon Wizard
July 18th, 2013, 18:27
Usually, a delete of the player-side cache will reset and force a re-download of campaign data. There's actually a button in the launcher now on the Join Game screen that allows you to reset the player cache. It's on the upper right and has the radioactive symbol. It must be cleared on the client side.

Also, one other things that was mentioned in the past is that there were problems with files containing non-English letters (umlauts, etc.). Does the file in question use non-English characters in the file name?

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
July 19th, 2013, 05:19
Yes when I had this error, emptying cache didn't solve it. It kinda resolved itself, and since I don't play with this group anymore I can't reproduce the exact conditions or try to trigger the bug again.

And yes, a lot of issues I had were with non ascii filenames. I just learned about this diacritic bug a few days ago, I'm going through my campaign removing these (but it's a pain, diacritic and accent are not here just for show, they mean something).

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2013, 09:46
For the cache issue, the accents should only be an issue for file names, not for any data fields.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
July 19th, 2013, 10:33
Yup I know, still it isn't very ergonomic in French for example (and French is very near English, Russian or Arabic will have a very hard time I'm guessing).