PDA

View Full Version : Mac Crossover newbie issues with FG

William Wisner
January 3rd, 2011, 02:41
I purchased Crossover and FG2 tonight and managed to muddle through the installation of FG2. I also purchased the Savage Worlds ruleset. My understanding is that I should be able to simply drop the folder for the Savage Worlds into the data application folder in my fantasy grounds 2 folder which is located in my user/myname/application/crossover folder

This doesn't work and I can't find any information on what I should be doing other than this. Is there a Mac users guide I'm missing? More or less lost.

Thanks

Zeus
January 3rd, 2011, 03:01
Welcome to the forums. :)

I don't believe there is a Mac guide specifically, a quick search of the forums reveals several helpful threads though.

From the description you have given, that path you specified is to the location of the Crossover wrapped applications, this folder is suitable for locating and launching FGII but not for accessing the application data folder.

I find its easier to access the app data folder using Finder. Open a Finder window and set the path to:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<BottleName>/drive_c/users/crossover/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds II/

Once you have located the Fantasy Grounds II folder, drag the folder to your Places list under a Finder window. This will enable a ready shortcut so you don't have to remember the path.

William Wisner
January 3rd, 2011, 03:18
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I followed the path as you listed and placed the shortcut in the finder window. I could open the FG2 file and see the cache, campaigns, extensions, modules, portraits, rulesets, and tokens folders.

I dropped the DGA040SWv3 (Savage Worlds ruleset) into the ruleset folder which included the mod against orcs but after launching FG2, I still had no Savage Worlds ruleset.

Hmmm... progress is better than no progress I guess! Thanks again Dr Zeuss.

Will

PS. I used the bottle name Other Application - 8 as that is what the icon shows in the first path I listed where I couldn't open the application data folder. *brain is starting to smoke* grrr

Zeus
January 3rd, 2011, 04:03
Is the Savage Worlds ruleset your using a PAK or ZIP file/folder?

If its a ZIP file, uncompress it to the rulesets subfolder in the app folder. Likewise if its a folder, just move it into the rulesets subfolder.

If its a PAK file, you need to place the file in FGII's Program folder, which will be:

Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<BottleName>/drive_c/Program Files/FantasyGrounds II/

Robbo
January 3rd, 2011, 04:43
I did this exact thing last week, but with one important difference. I treated the savage worlds file as something I had to install. I called my bottle 'fantasy grounds' and after finishing the installation of FG I installed the SW ruleset into the same bottle. It worked like a charm. I hope that helps.

Bidmaron
January 3rd, 2011, 04:46
What is it with Crossover that makes this the solution people go after on a Mac? It sounds like a lot of trouble to get working, and Parallels just friggin' works with no effort at all. There must be something to Crossover that I just am not seeing to make people want to use it.

William Wisner
January 3rd, 2011, 06:54
@ Robbo, Thanks! I installed the SW ruleset to the bottle I installed FG to and bingo, worked. There really needs to be an idiots guide to this thing or something. Wow, not intuitive at all. Thanks guys for the assist.

@ Bidmaron, To tell you the truth, I picked up Crossover because it was what is listed on the website and while reading through the message boards, it's what Mac users were listing as their choice. Myself, I don't know beans about most of this stuff and how to convince it to work. Maybe they will come out with a Mac version of FG and we can skip all this aggrivation. Thats much more likely to happen than the un-initiated like myself actually learning how to work these things. :)

Will

VenomousFiligree
January 3rd, 2011, 09:12
What is it with Crossover that makes this the solution people go after on a Mac? It sounds like a lot of trouble to get working, and Parallels just friggin' works with no effort at all. There must be something to Crossover that I just am not seeing to make people want to use it.
Do you not need a copy of windows for Parallels? With two operating systems in operation would have thought it would be slightly slower too? With Crossover I've got a variety of FG bottles, so I can easily choose which way I want FG to run.

Oh and I've not had a problem getting FG to run :)

Robbo
January 3rd, 2011, 14:51
Do you not need a copy of windows for Parallels? With two operating systems in operation would have thought it would be slightly slower too? With Crossover I've got a variety of FG bottles, so I can easily choose which way I want FG to run.

Oh and I've not had a problem getting FG to run :)

Yes, Crossover is attractive because you don't need a copy of windows, and it is a simpler solution than Parallels. I've tried both now and so far I prefer Crossover. I am really sick of Bootcamp.

MurghBpurn - why do you need a variety of FG bottles? Do you have one for each system you run? For each campaign? Or for different extensions? Do they all use the same app data folder?

Also, does anyone have experience moving an entire campaign folder over to a crossover bottle? I'd love to move my current campaign (mainly the character sheets, but everything else would be good too such as tokens, npcs, images, etc) from my bootcamped xp version to my shiny new crossover mac version. Or is this more than FG can handle?

VenomousFiligree
January 3rd, 2011, 14:55
Yes, Crossover is attractive because you don't need a copy of windows, and it is a simpler solution than Parallels. I've tried both now and so far I prefer Crossover. I am really sick of Bootcamp.

MurghBpurn - why do you need a variety of FG bottles? Do you have one for each system you run? For each campaign? Or for different extensions? Do they all use the same app data folder?

Also, does anyone have experience moving an entire campaign folder over to a crossover bottle? I'd love to move my current campaign (mainly the character sheets, but everything else would be good too such as tokens, npcs, images, etc) from my bootcamped xp version to my shiny new crossover mac version. Or is this more than FG can handle?
I have the Standard, Test, Developer, Unlicensed and Demo versions.

I've moved campaigns between computers and between bottles with no issues.

Bidmaron
January 3rd, 2011, 20:18
Yes, with Parallels you have to install Windows. But to me the setup of Parallels was pretty easy, and once I got that done, FG2 just worked, no effort required. Is it slower? Undoubtedly, but I haven't noticed a difference yet.

Doc_Waldo
January 3rd, 2011, 22:20
By the way, has anyone be able to get the parse 4e tool to work within crossover? I have tried several different methods, installing different runtime add-ons from crossover, but never been successful.

Please let me know if anyone has gotten this to work, and/or Dr.Zeuss tool...I tried his also, but I want to say it utilizes .net 3 or 4, which I have yet to be able to run on crossover.

If I could get those two programs running, I could really cut down on having to run Parallels.

Zeus
January 3rd, 2011, 22:33
By the way, has anyone be able to get the parse 4e tool to work within crossover? I have tried several different methods, installing different runtime add-ons from crossover, but never been successful.

Please let me know if anyone has gotten this to work, and/or Dr.Zeuss tool...I tried his also, but I want to say it utilizes .net 3 or 4, which I have yet to be able to run on crossover.

If I could get those two programs running, I could really cut down on having to run Parallels.

I'm afraid you won't be able to get either Tenian's 4EParser or any of my 4E tools to work under CrossOver until Wine better supports the .NET Frameworks. Application support is limited to a subset of the Framework and even then is rather buggy.

Doc_Waldo
January 3rd, 2011, 22:35
Yea, that is what I thought, thanks though.