PDA

View Full Version : Is Dial Up fine?

TFWoods3
January 1st, 2011, 18:44
I want to get a friend into FG, but he only has a dial up connection.. Is that going to perform well?

Griogre
January 1st, 2011, 20:52
It depends. I don't think he could host realistically. He could play if the DM runs a narrow band friendly game. That means no large maps/images, large token transfers or common modules. If you use audio you would need to use something like TeamSpeak where you can dial the audio bandwidth down to dial up levels.

I'd suggest running the demo and trying it out with the person on dialup. As I remember some of the demo maps are fairly large. Just an FYI, the smallest maps are the map drawings where you create a new map and draw on it like a battle map. The built in letter tokens are very small also.

A few years ago when I was running a 3.5 game I had a player that on the road for 3 months in a hotel on dial up connection and it worked OK, so I know it can be done.

TFWoods3
January 2nd, 2011, 00:40
Thanks for the info

Astinus
January 3rd, 2011, 22:03
I hosted on dial up for over a year and although a pain it worked. So you should be able to do it for a client. Like Griogre said, definitely use TS for your voice. And the key to preventing large image transfers is to predistribute your images before games via modules. Then the images will load locally, saving your dial up player a whole world of pain.

So yep, it can be done.