PDA

View Full Version : BSoDs and Strange Behavior

NEPHiLiX
December 26th, 2010, 22:16
Had a number of crashes today using FG with the RM ruleset. Here are the details of one of the BSoDs:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\122610-31059-01.dmp
C:\Users\NEPHiLiX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-85020-0.sysdata.xml

Also, for some time conversations typed on my local instance of FG and by my players (while I was hosting) were appearing only on their instances of FG and my local instance, but not on my GM instance (host). I have attached a pic.

Finally. You guys ABSOLUTELY need to make a DETAILED user's guide for EACH ruleset. I can't figure out how you guys got this far without committing to that. I can't even imagine a precedent for a program that has this many features. How do you guys justify this?

I have to tell you that the love-hate relationship that people have with this program (the vast majority of us I think) would be much less intense if you guys would just closely document how to use the program's features (and update it when you make changes to--or add to--the program's existing features)!

Moon Wizard
January 5th, 2011, 23:27
Nephilix,

Thanks for the feedback.

Blue screens are typically caused by drivers, rather than software packages. I'm not trying to point a finger away from us; we've just found that most BSoD are driver related (usually graphics cards).

That being said, the RM ruleset in particular is a huge memory hog (due to all the tables and the way the developer implemented table lookup). It's possible that the running to instances of RM on the same machine is using up all your memory. Each instance needs a full 2G.

Your documentation on the feedback is valid, and I've fowarded to Doug as a consideration for any future ruleset developers who build rulesets for us. We do have detailed documentation on the 3.5E and 4E rulesets on the web site, and many of the general features hold over for RM. However, I don't play RM, and looking at it, I have challenges figuring out all the features and how they work.

Regards,
JPG