PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Parser

Bidmaron
December 26th, 2010, 16:22
Does anyone know why there hasn't been an effort to duplicate the 4e parser for Pathfinder? Will Tenian release his source code (with proper attribution) so we can modify it for Pathfinder? I am fairly familiar with Visual Studio programming and would be willing to tackle the project....

madman
December 27th, 2010, 00:09
Please Please Please, oh how i would love to see this happen.

the hours it would save me.

Chris

Astinus
January 11th, 2011, 17:37
+1. Any progress on this issue would be very very... awesome.

Bidmaron
January 11th, 2011, 17:51
I pm's Tenian but haven't heard back. Sure would be nice to get a jumpstart on this. With WOTC finally making progress on their automation, it is not too hard to see a good deal of the 4e'ers (not the hard cores like Griogre and DrZ) jumping ship over to WOTC. Then in that case, Pathfinder would be the future for SW. Moon Wizard's work on general field theory to merge 3.5 and his woderful jpg ruleset with the relevant features of 4e is the first big step of this, but I think we need real PF support at least akin to the 4e work if fg2 is to remain/become the preeminent VTT.

Astinus
January 11th, 2011, 19:02
Absolutely. Support and additional gaming/module products for PF will continue well into the future. Not so much for 3.5. So like you say, FG needs to offer a good PF solution to stay relevant for this crowd of gamers.

Question: will Madman's Extension work after Moon Wizard integrates 3.5 and JPG? I'm about to start a new campaign but am wondering if I should wait for this much-anticipated merger.

Bidmaron
January 12th, 2011, 00:25
I'm sorry, but which extension are you talking about?

btw, I can't believe there isn't more PF interest here, but I suspect it's because we don't have the user effort going into it. The most active board on HeroLab is not 4e, it is PF.

If anyone else knows how to reach Tenian, please relay my query to him, as we need to get some PF buzz going here. I have been a subscriber on Paizo's site for all things PF since the Skinsaw Massacre days, so I have all the material and PDFs. Maybe if we get enough folks, we can challenge Paizo's ruling about official FG2 support, since their argument that they wanted a Mac-compatible VTT is specious since their official character generator is PC-only (and believe me, as a Mac guy myself, I am all about Mac support, but Parallels is an adequate interim solution).

Phystus
January 12th, 2011, 02:46
Forgive my ignorance, but a parser needed for Pathfinder? The whole reason to have a parser for 4e is to get around the fact that nobody except WotC can distribute the 4e data, so everyone has to enter their own Monster Manual, spells, magic items, feats, etc. into library modules.

I was under the impression that the Pathfinder SRD was published under the OGL. (I'm not a PF player, so please correct me if I'm wrong about that). If so, I don't think there's anything stopping someone from making something similar to the 3.5e library modules and distributing them.

~P

tdewitt274
January 12th, 2011, 02:59
I believe the reason for a parser would be to avoid having to pick apart a 300+ page document.

While, yes, it is OGL, the ability to cut down on prep time by having someone do the grunt work of coming up with an automated process in the hope that it doesn't change is beneficial. Sadly, it takes a special kind of person to enjoy parsing text. I happen to enjoy it on occasion ;)

To be honest though, I don't think it would be a good idea until after the two 3e rulesets are merged for FG. Things may change considerably between now and then to void any attempt at a parser.

Bidmaron
January 12th, 2011, 03:11
It may change slightly, but a good deal of the work is writing the token processor for the input, and that won't change. As I said on another link, making libraries by hand is just no friggin' fun, so a parser is, in my opinion, worth the effort, especially if Tenian will give us a head start with his framework.

tdewitt274
January 12th, 2011, 14:55
Let me start off by saying that I understand, empathize, and agree with what you're saying. A parser is a great idea. However, there are too many variables that make an attempt futile at this point in time.

First, we do not have a stable ruleset. There are two options out there right now, d20 and d20_JPG. With Moon_Wizard on board, there will eventually be one ruleset to use. We do not know what functionality will be available, nor the XML db structure that it will take on, to even prepare for this. If one is chosen over the other, then the work will need to be redone. It's better to have a template to draw from. Also, how would the parsing fit into the Pathfinder Extention? I don't know the Extention's current status.

Second, with WotC putting out their game table, I would guess that Paizo may be looking into this a little more than they were before. That being the case, SmiteWorks may not want to jump the gun on this approach. They have talked with Paizo about having a VTT. One of the things I would do if I was Paizo is sell my own ruleset. This would contain the SRD, spiffy graphics, etc.

Third, I doubt that Tenian will open up his code. He said previously on his blog that he had to lock down the Parser code because of abuse. At that point, I believe that he was going to drop the whole thing.

Fourth, we're dealing with a website. As you've seen with Tenian's trials on the 4e Parser, WotC is in total control of their formatting. So is Paizo. They can change the layout at any time. While their HTML coding is considerably better than WotC's, it's still less than ideal. Look at the spells for an example. From a coding standpoint, it's fine to start on this piece, but where do you put the results? See number 1.

Believe me, I would think a Pathfinder Parser would be an interesting challenge. However, without the first two being solidified, I wouldn't even consider doing attacking a project at this point.

Maybe after the new ruleset.

Bidmaron
January 12th, 2011, 16:26
As for Paizo doing a VTT, I guess it's possible, but we've seen no evidence they are interested in software development so far. And, as WOTC has learned the hard way, it is an enormous undertaking. Paizo seems to be doing well enough without it.

As for paizo changing their layout, as you previously pointed out, it is OGL. The products of the parser wouldn't change just because they changed formatting. The worst result is that you couldn't parse new material until the parser was updated. I don't know where Tenian's blog is, so I don't know what abuse he's talking about.

The Pathfinder extension will undoubtedly require rewrite after the rules merger.

Astinus
January 12th, 2011, 20:53
I'm sorry, but which extension are you talking about?

btw, I can't believe there isn't more PF interest here, but I suspect it's because we don't have the user effort going into it. The most active board on HeroLab is not 4e, it is PF.

It seems from later comments that you might have found it, but if not the extension would be here: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Pathfinder_Extension

And I too am surprised at the lack of Pathfinder activity here. I'm sure it will grow, however.

Bidmaron
January 12th, 2011, 21:04
It seems from later comments that you might have found it, but if not the extension would be here: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Pathfinder_Extension

Oh, I already knew about that, just had forgotten its author was Madman, so I didn't understand you were referring to the PF extension.

Bidmaron
January 12th, 2011, 21:05
Perhaps another thing that would help is if we get our own slot in the Game Systems (since defunct things like Iron Heroes and Arcana Unleashed got one).
Smiteworks, can we get it?

EugeneZ
January 12th, 2011, 22:40
Since Tenian hasn't responded here, I'm gonna hope he doesn't get too angry at me for posting. I hope he proves me wrong, but in my conversations with Tenian regarding open source, he was strongly against publishing his own source code. I'll ask him about it later but I'm guessing the response will be a "no." He would probably be open to writing the parser himself, if it wasn't for the fact that he does not like Pathfinder. But I'm pretty sure he would be totally against releasing his code.

Bidmaron
January 13th, 2011, 03:09
Well, that is unfortunate. Understandable, but unfortunate. We have to respect those who take the time to make tools that some can use. That will slow down the effort to do something with PF. Oh, well....

Leonal
January 13th, 2011, 12:36
I agree that something to quickly insert stat blocks would be desirable as many published npcs deviate from what you find in the bestiary(ies). Possibilities to import NPCs or even PCs exported from Herolab xml files would also be great.

Astinus
January 14th, 2011, 17:16
I've been chatting with bradbdavis -- he wrote a Pathfinder parser in Visual Studio. He's only used it for a bestiary, but he's happy to share his source code here and maybe someone else can continue work on it? Hopefully we hear from him soon.

Zeus
January 14th, 2011, 20:21
Whilst having Tenian's 4EParser source code available as a reference would be very useful (It is a boon to have it for the 4E ruleset - Thanks J), a significant amount (I believe) would have to be re-written to make it applicable to Pathfinder/d20 therefore negating some of the benefit of using his hard work as a springboard.

Its perfectly possible to write an XSL or .NET based tool that performs a similar function but for alternative natural language source formats and XML output.

The XSL route is doable, if the source is available in HTML/XML format, Text less so if purely plain text but maybe possible if the format is structured.

However I think its best to go the .NET route for a couple of reasons. 1) XSL can be limiting in certain situations and 2) I think it would be more useful to write a tool that would support a variety of rulesets thus enabling Parsing to the wider FGII ruleset community as well as encourage greater development of new rulesets etc. etc. .NET offers this flexibility if we assume most if not all RPG source material is available in plain text.

It might be possible to write a .NET based tool using regular expression matching and thus regular expressions to define npc, item, etc. etc. stat block formats. By allowing users to define both the regular expressions and an XML schema for the output it might be possible for ruleset developers/community users to build module templates (incorporating both the set of regular expressions for matching the source content types and the XML schema required for ruleset compatibility) to enable Parsing support for any ruleset.

Of course the whole thing is also only doable if the RPG your using publishes content type in a structured and consistent manner however still worthwhile investigating methinks if theres wide enough interest from the community.

Astinus
January 14th, 2011, 21:09
The Pathfinder parser bradbdavis has written is in .NET, I believe. So maybe it will serve as a good base? As soon as I get it from him, I'll post details here.

Bidmaron
January 14th, 2011, 21:17
Zeuss, just having a working framework with all the little utilities and user interface cuts out a lot of time in development. I don't know what you started with on your work, but to me it's like taking d20_jpg to make a pathfinder ruleset rather than starting with blank lua and xml files. Maybe not quite so much. Your contributions to the community, btw, have been wonderful.

tdewitt274
January 15th, 2011, 01:31
The Pathfinder SRD (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/) is available online as HTML. Pretty decent formatting, but the spells are separated into individual files. Haven't looked much further than Feats and Spells though.

Note, however, that Paizo's PDFs are a nightmare for parsing. Using a PDF to Text application, I've had issues of sidebars that flow in the middle of text, textthatlosesallspaces, and have found that the stat blocks use character coding for the numbers. I can't remember if the space issue shows up in a copy paste from the PDF to a text file, but the others do.

Just a couple FYIs.

Bidmaron
January 15th, 2011, 05:14
Yeah, I've struggled with their PDFs. I made a Word Visual Basic at one point to do some cleanup of it -- have to see if I can find that rascal. Don't remember what you're talking about regarding character coding for numbers though....

tdewitt274
January 15th, 2011, 13:59
Don't remember what you're talking about regarding character coding for numbers though....

From Burnt Offerings, here's an example of what goes into Notepad:
LYRIE AKENJA CR 3
Female human wizard 
CE Medium humanoid
Init +; Senses Listen +, Spot +
DEFENSE
AC , touch , fl at-footed 
(+2 Dex, +4 armor)
hp  (d+)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
OFFENSE
Spd  ft.
Melee dagger + (d–/–)

The attached image is how it shows in Notepad++

In Notepad++, you can at least find and replace on the character coding. You only really need to do that for 10 characters (0-9), but it took me forever to find out the issue existed.

Not sure if this still happens, but I've run into it quite a bit in the first AP.

Also, add onto it that here are mysterious spaces in words as well. Usually headings.

Bidmaron
January 15th, 2011, 17:05
Don't remember having that problem, but maybe I was using a newer pdf.

Astinus
January 15th, 2011, 17:32
Okay -- I have a parser.

bradbdavis has shared his Visual Studio.net 2010 coding work. He used it to leech the html on the Pathfinder SRD, and parsed it into a Bestiary Mod and an Equipment Mod.

This has to be a good starting point, right? As for the next step, I'm afraid I don't have the expertise.

Can I share these files with anyone? Dropbox maybe? Bidmaron? Anyone else interested in taking a look?

Bidmaron
January 15th, 2011, 19:03
I'd be happy to take a look, Astinus. bradbdavis is okay with it, right? pm me to make arrangements, plz.

Astinus
January 17th, 2011, 00:09
Will do. And yep, bradbdavis is totally happy for people to tinker with what he's done so far.

JSavko
January 20th, 2011, 23:29
Hey Astinus,

I tired to send you a PM, but your box is full. I'd be interested in getting a copy of that parser as well. I was just doing a quick search of the forums before I started one from scratch.

Thanks.

Bidmaron
January 21st, 2011, 01:01
JSavko, what is it you want to do with it. Maybe we could divide and conquer.

Astinus
January 21st, 2011, 01:48
JSavko, I've emptied my message box. I'll PM you to share the source code.

JSavko, what is it you want to do with it. Maybe we could divide and conquer.

bradbdavis wrote yesterday and he is progressing well with a parser for Feats. He expects it to be done by the end of the week. So that's one module that doesn't need doing.

JSavko
January 23rd, 2011, 20:22
I actually took a look through the code and decided to go a different route. I created a new project parsing the DOM Elements to get the necessary data more efficiently. I just wrapped up the parsing for all the classes and races. I will post the module and source for you guys tonight when I get home from the in-laws.

JSavko
January 25th, 2011, 00:24
Just a quick update.

Classes - Complete save for Spells per Day Tables
Races - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Armor - Complete
Feats - Almost Done
Skills - Haven't Started.
Spells - Haven't Started.

My campaign with friends and Family begins tomorrow, so I might just manually compile the missing data in order to insure we can start on time. As this project nears completion I will create a new thread with a direct link to the source code and tutorial on how to use it to compile your model.

I've added in the Required Legal notice for Paizo's community use license to the generated module as well.

So far the process has been pretty painless.

As I said I am modeling the generated module after the 3.5 SRD module that is included with FG2.

bradbdavis
January 25th, 2011, 12:39
Hey all, I have finished with the following Fantasy Ground .mods:

Pathfinder Feats
Pathfinder Advanced Feats
Bestiary
Equipment & Weapons

I also gave out the source for the bestiary leech program.

These mod files are available from Astinus.

Feel free to use, distribute, etc, as long as it contributes to the Pathfinder FG community!!!

I have started the spells now, and starting with the bestiary code, I was able to get a jump start on it. I can probably have something to show by this sunday.

Brad

bradbdavis
January 25th, 2011, 13:06
Those .mod files are also available from me ;)

Bidmaron
January 25th, 2011, 13:38
Wow great progress. Thanks to both of you.

Astinus
January 25th, 2011, 16:49
+1 Yeah, it's really awesome. Pathfinder has arrived, in a Fantasy Grounds context.

bradbdavis
January 31st, 2011, 00:04
I've finished Pathfinder Spells .mod AND Advanced player's guide Spells .mod

Gonna test them a bit and then I'll give them out. So far, the results are looking good!

b

Helvegr
February 2nd, 2011, 04:39
This all sounds very cool. Where would we get our hands on these mod files?

JSavko
February 2nd, 2011, 15:05
Wow nice progress with the spells. I got a little busy with work and life and wasn't able to finish over the weekend. I am putting some finishing touches on the classes. Then going to knock out the feats.

As soon as I finish the feats I will be posting this mod for the community. I will continue to develop it, so if you find any bugs let me know.

Thanks for everyone's hard work that made these mods reality!

JSavko
February 2nd, 2011, 16:52
I've been getting a lot of emails asking for the module. Here is beta 1.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19689192/PathfinderClasses.mod

It contains Classes, and Races as well as the tabled data for Armor and Weapons.

I know there are some strange characters on some pages. I've cleaned up the ones I've noticed. This is merely a pre-release because I've got so many emails asking for it.

I am hoping to have all the feats and skills done before this evening. If that happens I will update the thread.

Once Brad releases the spells module we should have a fully integrated pathfinder PRD.

Please don't remove the legal notice included in the module. It's required by Paizo to redistribute the PRD.

Astinus
February 2nd, 2011, 18:03
Great work to both of you guys!

When this flurry of activity dies down, which shouldn't be more than a week or so, we'll have to work on centralizing content and distribution.

bradbdavis
February 3rd, 2011, 01:15
Hey, you don't have to spend the time on feats, since I've already got them done for core book and adv player's guide

bradbdavis
February 3rd, 2011, 01:31
Here are some of the finished modules (with legal notice included)

Spells are coming very soon (found some issues to fix).

bradbdavis
February 3rd, 2011, 03:32
Well, I thought I would put the spells mods up here. They work but there are a couple of caveats:

1.) tables (like in summon monster) are missing
2.) not organized by class / level...Instead they are the whole list by alpha, with search option

Other than that, they should work until we get the final version done (hopefully this weekend). These items will be resolved soon.

These 2 mods include the legal notice.

B

Bidmaron
February 3rd, 2011, 19:25
We will do Pathfinder one way or the other!
(sorry for the duplicate post somehow that I can't delete)

Bidmaron
February 3rd, 2011, 19:25
We will do Pathfinder one way or the other!
(sorry for the duplicate post somehow that I can't delete)

Zulithe
February 5th, 2011, 02:33
This is so cool guys... thank you!

I am feeling the Pathfinder love! And I love it :)

bloodydrake
February 5th, 2011, 03:21
i must be missing something how do you get these to show up?
I put/extracted all the files into the module directory but if i create a new 3.5 campaign the only one that shows up as avail is the pathfinderclasses book.
do these require the old pathfinder extension to be installed?

Astinus
February 5th, 2011, 04:26
i must be missing something how do you get these to show up?
I put/extracted all the files into the module directory but if i create a new 3.5 campaign the only one that shows up as avail is the pathfinderclasses book.
do these require the old pathfinder extension to be installed?

The modules from bradbdavis are designed for the D20_JPG ruleset. You can grab that ruleset on the Downloads page.

Alternatively you can edit the module so it works with 3.5. Just change the module's filename extension to .zip, and edit the client.xml. Just change the info in the "ruleset" tags.

But D20_JPG works great with Madman's character sheet extension. It's the best way to play Pathfinder, methinks.

bradbdavis
February 5th, 2011, 13:12
Here are the pathfinder regular and advanced spells mods.

They are now organized by type / level (and drag to correct level slot on charsheets).

The only remaining issue I am aware of is the lack of tables (summon monster table of monsters, etc).

Phew... Daunting tasks, these...

btw, you may want to disable other spell mods in the library first.

Enjoy!

Bidmaron
February 5th, 2011, 14:04
btw, you may want to disable other spell mods in the library first.

Enjoy!
By that, do you mean that we should disable 3.5 spells and any other spell modules we might have? Some of the splat book spells were pretty good.

Leonal
February 5th, 2011, 14:29
Great work! I know my players have been waiting for this.

Thanks!!

bradbdavis
February 5th, 2011, 14:40
Well, I'd say just 3.5 spells--I noticed something strange that I can't explain or pinpoint. But it didn't seem to really hurt anything.

Astinus
February 5th, 2011, 17:02
Awesome work, Brad! I'll get onto entering the HTML tables asap.

bloodydrake
February 5th, 2011, 18:52
The modules from bradbdavis are designed for the D20_JPG ruleset. You can grab that ruleset on the Downloads page.

Alternatively you can edit the module so it works with 3.5. Just change the module's filename extension to .zip, and edit the client.xml. Just change the info in the "ruleset" tags.

But D20_JPG works great with Madman's character sheet extension. It's the best way to play Pathfinder, methinks.

ah ok great! thanks for info
So I should do the following
1. install latest d20_jrp ruleset(use this till official 3.5 rule set has been updated to include all the d20_jrp enhancements)
2.install the pathfinder v8 extensions
3. copy all and load/activate braddavis modules into campaign file.

this is fantastic btw I've been waiting for an advancement in Pathfinder support since it came out.
Thanks to everyone involved for the hard work

Astinus
February 6th, 2011, 18:28
Yep, that's exactly what you want to do.

And keep an eye out for updated versions of the spells modules. We need to add some html tables in and when we do they'll be posted here.

bloodydrake
February 6th, 2011, 23:08
fantastic!
I've been out of the loop for a while is there a retail, or free character manager software program that can import or export pathfinder characters for Fantasy grounds?

Astinus
February 7th, 2011, 00:21
Hmm, not that I know of.

Bidmaron
February 10th, 2011, 11:55
Hmm, seems like someone wrote an xslt file or converter to take a pcgen character into the 3.5 ruleset. Try a search for pcgen and see what you come up with.

Phystus
February 11th, 2011, 02:59
I took an old one of Moon Wizard's, modified it and posted it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14018).

It's written for 3.5_jpg so you'll need to do some work on it for Pathfinder, skills at the very least. But at least it's a starting place.

Hope you find it helpful.

~P

MateoFalcone
March 5th, 2011, 04:59
Hello everyone,

I just bought FG a few days ago, and am working on getting up to speed. I wanted to run a Pathfinder game, so I followed the instructions here to get something running. Everything works, except for one show stopper.

I can't increase the hit points on a character sheet if I use Madman's extension.

I know from another thread that I can't edit the field, that I have to scroll it. But when I do scroll over the field, the sheet moves a tiny bit and the value in the field never changes from 0. Interestingly, I can modify the field in the mini window, but it's never saved/loaded when I load the campaign. I've even tried modifying the value in my db file, but it's set back to 0 when I load it again.

Anyway, I hope someone has some advice for me. I feel like I'm one tip away from being able to play!

Thanks

madman
March 5th, 2011, 05:00
click on the field then Hold Ctrl and middle mouse scroll up. if you have any more questions on the extension send me an email at madman812 (at) gmail(.)com

Chris

MateoFalcone
March 5th, 2011, 12:47
click on the field then Hold Ctrl and middle mouse scroll up. if you have any more questions on the extension send me an email at madman812 (at) gmail(.)com

Chris

I knew there had to be something I should know that was stopping me. Thanks, that helped a lot, though at first I was having trouble because I had FG opened on a second monitor. Apparently having it on a second monitor, it doesn't get or doesn't pay attention to any of my mouse scrolling.

Thanks again!

Griogre
March 7th, 2011, 20:07
There is a weird problem with some mouse drivers. They assume the 1st monitor to be the leftmost one. If you don't have your monitors set up that way try setting them up that way and seeing if it helps your mouse.

lospo
March 15th, 2011, 14:41
Can anyone tell me the EXACT way to install all this Pathfinder stuff? i don't know if i can do it by myself...

wbcreighton
March 15th, 2011, 23:46
Can anyone tell me the EXACT way to install all this Pathfinder stuff? i don't know if i can do it by myself...

First Step is Downloads:

First you have to go to get the d20_JPG ruleset here:
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/D20

Then go here and download the Pathfinder V8 extension:
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Pathfinder

Download the PF Library modules:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1798&d=1296911519

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1792&d=1296699976

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1793&d=1296699997

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1794&d=1296700006

In Windows XP there is a folder structure as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\You\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

In the Fantasy Grounds II folder will be folders: Rulesets, Modules, Extensions ( among others )

For the ruleset zip file you downloaded (fg2_d20_jpg_v3_0_5.zip) , unzip it and put the folder named D20_JPG into Rulesets folder

Put the file PathfinderVer8.ext into the Extensions folder

Next Unzip the 4 Pathfinder module zip files. They are:
pathfinder spells v1_5.zip
pathfinder feats v1.zip
UOPBestiaryV1.zip
UOPEquipmentV1.zip

The resulting 6 files are .mod files, and need to be put into the Modules folder.
UOPFeatsV1.mod
UOPAdvFeatsV1.mod
UOPSpellsV1.mod
UOPAdvSpellsV1.mod
UOPBestiaryV1.mod
UOPWquipmentV1.mod

If you have Windows 7 or Vista the folder structure is a little different but the idea is the same. In Windows 7 you can find the FGII Application Data Folder by going to the START Menu -> Fantasy Grounds 2 -> Application Data Folder
Clicking on the folder should take you to Username\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\
It is a good idea to make a Shortcut to this folder on your desktop

Someone also mentioned de-activating the 3.5 Library modules, but I'm not sure if it is necessary and how to go about that. If anyone can elaborate that would be good.

Pikup
March 16th, 2011, 04:43
Many thanks! I had worked out the ruleset and extension part, but had not come across the modules.

Pikup

heatsink
March 24th, 2011, 10:26
Hi,
Is there help anywhere as to what the PathfinderVer8.ext actually changes/adds?
Thanks

Blackfoot
March 27th, 2011, 21:52
I don't know if anyone else has already discussed this or not but I've noticed a few bugs in the PFv8 character sheets...
There is one with the 'size' modifier to Melee and Ranged... it keeps adding it and removing it when you click the mini on and off. It seems to remove it from the main sheet and add it to the weapons as you open the mini.. but then if you close them the bonus goes away again.
Also I'm not sure the HP are working correctly. It seems to want you to enter the MAX HP into the 'Temp' field. You can use the mouse wheel to alter the base info but it doesn't seem like that is how it is supposed to work.
The INVENTORY is quite cool with all the different pages but it does not show up on the MINI and it requires multiple clicks to get the right tab. (this doesn't appear to be complete)
There was one other thing I think.. but I can't remember what it was at the moment... generally speaking it all works rather spiffily. Good Job!
As an addendum it would be cool if:
The Background Traits box worked.. I assume that's a work in progress since there is not 'Traits' book to link up with it. I'm not quite sure what sort of code is involved in telling the sheet to receive the data... making the book doesn't seem 'difficult' just time consuming.
It would be good if it knew which skills were trained and which were untrained and reflected the skill values appropriately.
It would also be nice if you could drop in the 'race' and 'class' and have the data all transferred into the sheet... but again that's probably a fair amount of work. The class data is probably a bit tricky since classes are malleable in PF..
PHEW! LOTS of rules!

madman
March 28th, 2011, 06:42
Yep Sorry!

WIP

Chris

Blackfoot
March 28th, 2011, 21:57
The 'traits' thing seems like a fairly easy drop in... the only thing that would be needed was a new
UOPTraits.mod
and
charsheet_abilities.lua
which included the bit of code necessary to receive the data... Madman do you by chance know what those few lines of code might be offhand? I'm guessing you didn't add it to v8 because you didn't have a completed UOPTraits.mod... otherwise I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward.

If one were to start messing with a Traits.mod file... it would be really handy to have that bit of code. :)

BTW.. despite the few little tweaky things the extension seems to work quite well.

madman
March 29th, 2011, 00:13
The extension was made for my group. I have made all the mods for myself, so i have drop in traits. it was not made for the .mods, that were made by others.

I am going to try and make everything work better after the 2.8 changes.
as i do not want to shoot myself in the foot.

Chris

Blackfoot
March 29th, 2011, 00:39
Sensible.
Well I just finished building a Traits.mod file...
I think I'll see if I can figure how to make the .lua see the stuff.

Try this out and see how it works for you... you'll need to slip a little code into the .ext file to make it work... basically if you mod reference_basicclasses.xml
and copy the referencefeat stuff replacing 'feat' with 'trait' it makes part of it work... I still don't have the last piece to make the sheet receive the info but otherwise it works quite spiffily.

MisterAmazing
March 30th, 2011, 06:56
I eagerly await your fix of the 'problems' Blackfoot. :D Can't wait to play your super sweet new version of Pathfinder. :D

Blackfoot
March 30th, 2011, 13:59
While it was easy enough to build the traits.mod file I don't have the PFv8.1.ext so I'm hesitant to go forward with any more updates for the moment.

I did test out my traits file enough to see that it works... it only includes the ones from the PRD not all the additional ones that are in the SRD.
(which would likely be a more time consuming process since one can't just copy and paste the whole list at once like they can with the PRD) But most of the basic job is done...

madman
March 30th, 2011, 19:09
If you want it, here it is.
Once again it is a work in progress, so please backup your game before using it.

Chris

wbcreighton
March 30th, 2011, 20:00
Thanks. Glad to give it a spin and will post any feedback. All positive of course.

:-)

Blackfoot
March 30th, 2011, 22:25
Added the traits hook to madman's version8.1 file but I didn't put it all back together... here's just the reference file.
Still need to work up the .lua piece so it can be dropped onto the character sheet.. but with this at least you can read all the info about each trait.

ThirstyBob
March 31st, 2011, 01:02
Great update, loving the changes I've noticed so far!

Hye Roler
March 31st, 2011, 06:05
Thanks for the work on this... cool so far. I noticed that v8.1 changed the font size and I'm not sure it works for me. The boxes have to be opened larger and it takes more screen real estate. Can someone confirm this was indeed changed from v8.0 so I can be sure it isn't just me?

Thanks!

madman
March 31st, 2011, 13:05
The font did change. you are correct.

Chris

Blackfoot
March 31st, 2011, 13:57
Love the larger font. Very cool. Still having a bit of trouble with the inv page but it seems to definitely be working better.

madman
April 11th, 2011, 20:28
Here is Pathfinder V8.2 - MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR GAME BEFORE USING

The CMD now adds 10 to the totals.

Wow i think the inventory tabs are fixed (Feedback Please)

Chris

viresanimi
April 11th, 2011, 21:09
I am loving the Pathfinder stuff. Thanks for all the hard work!

Vires Animi

madman
April 11th, 2011, 21:29
Just tested 8.2 on all my campaigns, and it seems that the inventory tab problem is FIXED.

Chris

wbcreighton
April 11th, 2011, 23:40
Thanks Madman :)

Learuis
April 28th, 2011, 23:30
Thanks for the update Madman, works great!

wbcreighton
May 11th, 2011, 23:36
I see the newest version is Ver 8.3 and the thread can be found here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14552

inuroku842
May 16th, 2011, 03:03
THANK YOUUUUUUU!!!!
First Step is Downloads:

First you have to go to get the d20_JPG ruleset here:
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/D20

Then go here and download the Pathfinder V8 extension:
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Pathfinder

Download the PF Library modules:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1798&d=1296911519

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1792&d=1296699976

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1793&d=1296699997

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1794&d=1296700006

In Windows XP there is a folder structure as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\You\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

In the Fantasy Grounds II folder will be folders: Rulesets, Modules, Extensions ( among others )

For the ruleset zip file you downloaded (fg2_d20_jpg_v3_0_5.zip) , unzip it and put the folder named D20_JPG into Rulesets folder

Put the file PathfinderVer8.ext into the Extensions folder

Next Unzip the 4 Pathfinder module zip files. They are:
pathfinder spells v1_5.zip
pathfinder feats v1.zip
UOPBestiaryV1.zip
UOPEquipmentV1.zip

The resulting 6 files are .mod files, and need to be put into the Modules folder.
UOPFeatsV1.mod
UOPAdvFeatsV1.mod
UOPSpellsV1.mod
UOPAdvSpellsV1.mod
UOPBestiaryV1.mod
UOPWquipmentV1.mod

If you have Windows 7 or Vista the folder structure is a little different but the idea is the same. In Windows 7 you can find the FGII Application Data Folder by going to the START Menu -> Fantasy Grounds 2 -> Application Data Folder
Clicking on the folder should take you to Username\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\
It is a good idea to make a Shortcut to this folder on your desktop

Someone also mentioned de-activating the 3.5 Library modules, but I'm not sure if it is necessary and how to go about that. If anyone can elaborate that would be good.

Aristotle
May 23rd, 2011, 20:10
1.) I noticed my bestiary had the same entries for attack as for full attack. Also it seems XP values are missing. Is this working as intended? I just want to be certain it's not an issue on my end.

I really wish there was one button solution to port monsters from Hero Lab. It'd make life pretty easy for me.

2.) I'm curious how folks are implementing magic items, since I've not seen a library for them.

3.) I'm not a fan of the larger fonts. I set my fonts back to the default JPG_D20 sizes. It appears the extension uses the same font names (although it has 1 extra font) so I just coppied the fonts from the ruleset into the extension and overwrote them. Looks fine so far.

I don't have a game setup yet, so for now I'm just messing around with the ruleset; unpacking stuff and seeing what sort of trouble I can get into modifying stuff.

inuroku842
May 23rd, 2011, 21:08
How did you manage to change the font size? That's honestly the only thing stopping me from using the new extension.

Aristotle
May 23rd, 2011, 22:58
The extension files are just zip files with different file extensions. You can just change those .ext extensions to .zip and access them.

So you rename PathfinderVer8.3.ext to PathfinderVer8.3.zip. Now when you browse it you'll see that it has a similar file structure to the D20_JPG folder under /rulesets. Copy the fonts from D20_JPG's /fonts directory and paste them into the extension's /fonts directory (they will overwrite).

Rename the .zip to .ext and fire it up. Seems to work for me.

Uh... I'm not a programmer. I just dabble. So someone can jump in and correct me if this will screw something up, or if there is a simpler way to do it.

wdonovan450
May 26th, 2011, 19:43
Bear with me as I am new to FG2.

I tried to install all the modules, extentions and rulesets for Pathfinder and it does not seems to work. Followed the detailed instructions a half-dozen posts ago. When I click on the d20_JPG ruleset, no extentions appear.

Am I missing something?

Really want to test this out with Pathfinder! Any help would be appreciated.

Blackfoot
May 26th, 2011, 22:16
Bear with me as I am new to FG2.

I tried to install all the modules, extentions and rulesets for Pathfinder and it does not seems to work. Followed the detailed instructions a half-dozen posts ago. When I click on the d20_JPG ruleset, no extentions appear.

Am I missing something?

Really want to test this out with Pathfinder! Any help would be appreciated.
Check that you have the file PathfinderVer8.3.ext in your 'extensions' folder...
Then check that you have all the various Pathfinder.mod files in the 'modules' folder...

wdonovan450
May 27th, 2011, 00:55
Could have sworn that I did that, but I restored by backup and tried again and it worked. Thanks for the help!

AdamantiteDM
June 6th, 2011, 03:11
Keep working on Pathfinder guys! We all appreciate it. Pathfinder fan base is growing and none of us are looking toward this VTT because it doesn't support PF. I downloaded the VTT today because of this thread; however, I can't get it to work. I am getting errors upon log in.

Leonal
June 6th, 2011, 03:34
Keep working on Pathfinder guys! We all appreciate it. Pathfinder fan base is growing and none of us are looking toward this VTT because it doesn't support PF. I downloaded the VTT today because of this thread; however, I can't get it to work. I am getting errors upon log in.

Are you using the correct ruleset with the PF extension?
You need d20_JPG for the v8.3 extension. or FG test mode (2.8) 3.5E for this new extension by me (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14775) or variant by madman (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14782).

Trenloe
June 6th, 2011, 03:47
Are you using the correct ruleset with the PF extension?
You need d20_JPG for the v8.3 extension. or FG test mode (2.8) 3.5E for this new extension by me (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14775) or variant by madman (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14782).

Leonal's comments are correct.

If you're new to FG, I'd recommend *not* running the V2.8 version - as this is in test mode at present, so you may experience some unexpected issues with that. It will be easier to get running on a stable version: 2.7.6 is the latest stable version.

To use the Pathfinder V8.3 extension (I am using this to run a Carrion Crown campaign) you will need to download the D20_JPG V3.0.5 ruleset and install this in your "rulesets" directory. Then install the V8.3 extension in your "extensions" directory. When you create your campaign in FG, select the d20_JPG ruleset and the Pathfinder extension and you should be OK...

Griogre
June 6th, 2011, 21:47
They did not mention it but the d20_JPG ruleset is a free download on the download page of this site. Scroll down all the way its on the right bottom.

Leonal
June 6th, 2011, 22:46
Yes, I got to help him out on the IRC chat, so it didn't continue in this thread. He should be up and running now I believe.

addax
June 10th, 2011, 16:02
These are absolutely fantastic! Thank you guys for your hard work! Is anyone working on Ultimate Magic?