PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to Demo Version Walkthrough

DNDGMGamer333
December 17th, 2010, 09:03
Alright, so I am considering purchasing an online DND program so that my friends and I can continue to play the game we love even with the distances between us. However, after having a few friends download the demo, we are running into connection issues.
I have successfully connected to two separate individuals while I was at their home and on their internet connection. However, once I have returned home, we are unable to connect.
I have read through the Connecting FAQ's and many of the threads on this board. Unfortunately, none of my friends and I are very well versed in networking, so we are unsure on how to successfully open and forward the ports and determine if our firewalls are allowing access.
So, basically I was wondering if anyone on here had any extremely simplified advice or step-by-steps that we could follow. Perhaps some websites that would help walk us through it. I really do like how the program looks and runs when I have been connected locally, but I don't want to buy it if I never figure out how to connect just the demo's.
Thanks for any and all help.

Valarian
December 17th, 2010, 09:39
There are some step-by-step instructions for various routers at www.portforward.com. This site is linked to in the FAQ in this board. You'll have to skip through various adverts on the site. They advertise a port-forwarding application (the link to skip the ad is at the top of the page).

Only the GM will need to open port 1802. You need to forward the port through the router to the PC you'll be using to run the game. This usually means assigning the PC the same internal IP address each time.

You're doing the right thing trying out the demo version. Although this is pretty old now version-wise, if you figure out the port-forwarding for that you should be fine on the full version.