PDA

View Full Version : Percentile dice sometimes don't rolls two tens place dice

dr_venture
December 14th, 2010, 07:25
This must be old news to folks around here, but when rolling percentile with some rulesets, you're supposed to get a ten's place die (i.e., '70') and a one's place die (i.e., '5') for a die roll result of '75'.

However sometimes, say one roll out of 10 or 20, I get two ten's position dice, like say a '20' and a '30' for a die roll total of '50'. Huh?

This is most notable in the Rolemaster ruleset since you use percentile so much, but it happens in both 4e and Castles & Crusades (such as in the attached screen shot). Happens when clicking on the dice, rolling them by dropping in the chat frame, or trying into the chat window.

Not a huge problem, but it'd be nice if it didn't happen... just sayin'. :)

https://castlecorps.com/images/cnc_d10_screwup.jpg

EugeneZ
December 15th, 2010, 04:34
Are you certain? Your example only shows a 90 and a 10, which is actually legit -- the first die can be any multiple of ten between 0 and 90. The second can be between 1 and 10. The total, when added together, is between 01-100. This isn't the way d100's always work but it's certainly a legitimate approach.

If you've ever seen a 20 and a 30 together, I'd like to see a screenshot of that, never seen it happen...

dr_venture
December 15th, 2010, 04:55
It's possible that I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty positive that I've gotten two results that were both above '10'. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for the response.

terrell
December 16th, 2010, 01:36
I haven't tried the Rolemasterrule set, but can tell you that in Warhammer (another percentile system) I have never seen anything higher than a 10 on the ones dice of the percentile. We had some confusion early on and I did the following for the players as a reference because we always said a roll with a 10 and a 10 was 100 like on "real dice" but that isn't the case here.

dr_venture
December 16th, 2010, 02:40
Yeah, I actually did roll 40 or 50 times yesterday, and it does look pretty obviously like the ones position die is just rolling a a 10 which is being specifically displayed as a "10" rather than a "0". I think you two are right on and I'm mistaken in what I thought I was seeing.

I have seen the thread where the percentile dice issue has been discussed to death (though I didn't wade through it all), so there's no need to totally rehash that here. I guess I'd just close by expressing surprise that it's such a contentious and/or difficult thing to address: I'd just like my dice to both look and work practically just like the physical ones do, with a "0" in the one's place. Nobody has any trouble reading or calculating physical percentile dice.

That said, though they're funky, the dice do work, and I can live with that. I also know the guys working on FG are smart, helpful, and attentive to the needs of the users. So, as frustrating as the funky percentile issue is, I have to assume there is some behind the scenes programmatic reason why it hasn't been fixed already.

Someday, if it can be addressed, I'll be all the happier. Until then, thanks for all the good work, guys. I live pretty remotely - if it weren't for y'all, I wouldn't have a prayer or playing D&D with my friends (or anyone else) much.

Now I just need that ISP's wireless service antenna to get installed on the nearby mountain top so I can ditch Starband...

EugeneZ
December 17th, 2010, 06:12
I guess I don't really understand it when people say "I wish the percentile dice worked like real dice." I have real dice, and most work the way FG2's work. A regular d10 does not have a 0. Now, how you COUNT it is up to you. Yes, some people count "10" on a single-digit dice as 0. But I think it's far more logical to simply not do any replacement and just add the dice together. 50 + 10 = 60. This is what FG2 does, it makes perfect sense, and this is how many real groups treat real physical dice.

I guess it should be an option. Or just model an actual d100. What's physically difficult/impossible is trivial in 3D.

dr_venture
December 17th, 2010, 21:56
I suppose it just depends on what you're used to. I've been gaming since '82 and I've never even heard of anyone reading the dice as 10's and 1's and adding them together... but you say (and I believe you, of course) that there are many groups who use their physical dice in this way. To me (and apparently others) the idea was so counter intuitive that I just assumed the program wasn't working right.

In the end, I think you are right - the solution seems to be an option at the program level where you could choose the way your percentile dice would work. From my perspective, I'd either like:

a) two d10 with "0" instead of "10" - the the number 0 is always read as (to quote Jethro Bodine) 'naught'... the only exception being that two 0's = 100, or;

b) a tens die and a ones die, the ones die having a "0" instead of a "10". 0 is always 'naught'... the only exception being that "00" and "0" = 100

Realistically, in the scope of things that are vying for developer's attention, I don't know how important that is. It's software development - there is almost never going to be enough time to do everything you'd ideally want to. The dice work, and I can live with it. I also appreciate your time with an issue that got to be getting kinda old for you guys... thanks. :)

dr_venture
December 17th, 2010, 23:34
BTW, it's funny - now that I think about it, your way of reading the dice is entirely logical and obvious, but having never heard of that before using FG, it was just so counter-intuitive that I didn't get it at all. That said, I have come to realize that I have very, very slight, high level autism and, while smart, tend to sometimes think of things in more concrete terms than most folks. That may be behind my inability to pick that up on the fly. Funny.