PDA

View Full Version : Combat tracker "linked" indicators - any use ?

phantomwhale
December 11th, 2010, 09:13
All,

Have been having a brief run over the Savage World ruleset this week, trying to ensure I understand all the nooks and crannies of it as I am now the primary developer for it.

One thing I cannot find a use for is the "link indicators" on the combat tracker - I understand they are supposed to indicate "this value is linked to something else" (e.g. a character sheet), but I was wondering if there was something else to them, or something subtle I'd missed ?

Currently they appear on PC names, wounds, shaken and INC indicators :

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1735&stc=1&d=1292058550

(as an aside, it seems the shaken and INC checkboxes only adjust the linked value one-way, from selected to unselected - looking to fix that now)

Parry, pace and toughness are also technically linked to the character sheet too (albeit read-only, like the PC name). Bennies are initialised from the character underlying value too (although can be spent without adjusting the PC sheet value, so again, probably a bug).

Anyone care to offer an opinion here ? Right now, I'm thinking of removing them as they don't seem to offer anything, but perhaps someone has another take on it ?

Regards,
Ben

Mask_of_winter
December 11th, 2010, 13:58
I'm too dumb to understand what you're saying.

Is it when you click something on your sheet and it appears on the tracker? like toggle on shaken and wounds?
If its not going to change anything if its removed, then I have no objections.

Doswelk
December 11th, 2010, 16:23
I also do not understand the question..

That said the only thing on the combat tracker I do not ever use is the extras button (to add multiple npcs to the same card), as it does not work (see my combat tracker videos for example of failure).

Doswelk
December 11th, 2010, 16:25
OH!

You mean the little metal links! Never even noticed them before :o

Which may indicate your assumption was correct :D

phantomwhale
December 11th, 2010, 22:15
That said the only thing on the combat tracker I do not ever use is the extras button (to add multiple npcs to the same card), as it does not work (see my combat tracker videos for example of failure).

Very much noted - gonna try and blitz that next year, as I use it a lot and it frustrates me endlessly !

You mean the little metal links! Never even noticed them before :o

Yeah, me neither (until yesterday). Might leave them as is... not sure. Anyone else with strong opinions (now that someone has translated my burblings into clear English !) ?

Mask_of_winter
December 11th, 2010, 23:24
To be honest, I've never click on them.

A left over of a ruleset the designer used as a template to create the Savage Worlds ruleset?

Moon Wizard
December 12th, 2010, 00:03
It's interesting that you should mention these, because I was thinking the same thing when I was working on the 3.5E revamp. Perhaps a locked indicator would be interesting, but the linking is not necessary. It's more a reminder that the PC fields are tied to an external source, while the NPC fields only impact the combat tracker.

Cheers,
JPG

Ikael
December 12th, 2010, 09:29
Becase they are just reminders and don't have any real functionality, I have decided to take them away from rulesets that I develope. There is no harm to take them away and doing it would make the combat tracker entry more clear.