PDA

View Full Version : Attacking and Damage

mattcolville
December 10th, 2010, 21:32
Is there a way for the rules set to automatically roll damage and apply effects on a hit? Everyone I've shown this too expects that, given how powerful the tool is, and are surprised that it doesn't appear to do it. Which makes me think, maybe it does and I just don't know how. :D

Moon Wizard
December 10th, 2010, 22:12
Not yet. It's something that I've been thinking about, and is on the 4E wish list.

One thing I have to consider is that there is a large group of people that have expressed that they do not want that level of automation. They want to make the individual rolls, with the level of automation it is at now. So, anything I do needs to be able to handle both.

Cheers,
JPG

mattcolville
December 10th, 2010, 22:18
Fair enough, it's not like its a bug. A lot of players, the first thing they do when they want to speed combat up, is roll attack dice and damage dice at the same time.

But no, it's not a universal good. It would need to be an option. Probably makes it harder! :D

someoneinatree
December 13th, 2010, 06:51
Yeah I'm one of those people who prefers not to have this level of automation except as an option. There are too many interrupts out there that are triggered on a hit that often lead to damage not occurring anyway!

EugeneZ
December 15th, 2010, 04:44
As much as I love automation, I draw the line at this sort of thing. One of the biggest reasons is that even though an attack is marked as a hit, that is not ALWAYS the case -- at least a few times during combat, a player's attack marked as a hit did not actually do so due to some factor or other.

I mean, it wouldn't be a bad feature but there's so many other things I'd personally prioritize...

DNH
December 15th, 2010, 10:01
Add my name to the list of those against it. It might potentially speed things up and make things easier for a while but then you'll find yourself having to roll things back (remove effects, remove wounds) when someone realises a hit was actually a miss.

And of course it makes DM fudging more difficult to achieve.

Quite happy to see it as an option but wouldn't want it as the default.

Doc_Waldo
December 19th, 2010, 07:11
Most frameworks in MapTools are this way, and it is one of the reasons I really enjoy FG II. Yes, is slows the game down a bit, but it also paces the game better from my perspective. I have played both ways, and I really enjoy the separate damage rolling. Would be great as an option, but horrible as the only option.