PDA

View Full Version : Questions (Mng Characters,

Doc_Waldo
December 10th, 2010, 01:11
OK, I have several questions, or problems I have run into and I am hoping some people may lend a hand and help me out. Please forgive if they are answered elsewhere.

1) Can I change a db.xml file to a client.xml file without it effecting anything, save the sharing of the mod?

2) When I open a fresh copy of FGII, and then enter the mgn characters section, open up a character I am creating and select "second wind", I get an error. And then a blank power box shows up that I can't edit.

Script Error: [string "reference_power_custom"]:1: attempt to index a nil value
Furthermore, this same error shows up when I try to create a power. In additions, it got to the point to where I couldn't actually type the name of the power. I am completely confused to what is going on. I get the same thing if it is a new character with no other powers, and no mod's are open.

I can drag powers over find, and the links work...if the mod is open (sort of wish it would prompt to open or something, or just open the mod if it is there). The problem come in when I don't have the power in a mod and need to create the old fashion way. Help...

3) Is there a way to actually test your powers in the character manager? For example I am getting ready for a game this tomorrow night, I need to create my character, so I do so in the character manager, but when putting in powers, I want to check and see if the right bonus are being displayed, etc. How would I do this? I would just open him up in a blank campaign myself, but I am afraid I will no longer be able to pull him over to another campaign...

Thanks.

Leonal
December 10th, 2010, 01:51
#2, Most (AFAIK) rulesets don't support local character generation very well, and I think 4e is one of them. Also the character manager is generally to view, but not edit characters that are already part of a campaign as editing them will create conflicts with the character stored on the server.

Doc_Waldo
December 10th, 2010, 01:52
Alright that makes sense of it's lack of real function. How do you set up your characters prior to a game?

Leonal
December 10th, 2010, 01:59
I usually do it in session, or in some cases leave the server open a good while before we start playing so the players can connect an input their characters.

Some in my group tend to have their characters created beforehand (e.g in Hero Lab, Excel spreadsheet or on paper) so it doesn't take that much time to copy them into FG.

edit: I think you can just rename a the db.xml within a module to client.xml and it will function correctly.

Doc_Waldo
December 10th, 2010, 04:00
I found the answer to my question regarding license problems. I was at a barns and noble and using not at my home, so apparently I wasn't getting a local ip address and the program thought I was trying to open over an external network, because now that I am home everything is working fine.

Now I just hope to get my other questions answered.

Leonal
December 10th, 2010, 04:39
While I have little to no experience with 4e or its FG ruleset, I would believe the only way to test a power with your character (without connecting to the GM) is to create a campaign and create a copy of your character with the relevant powers there to try them out (since you won't be able to use this copy in other campaigns without some xml copy/pasting).

Griogre
December 10th, 2010, 06:00
1) Can I change a db.xml file to a client.xml file without it effecting anything, save the sharing of the mod?

It depends on what is in the db.xml file. If there are things that the client doesn't have the functionality to use he still won't be able to use it. For example if you convert a campaign db.xml file to a client.xml file a client won't be able to access the monsters, story, item or encounter data since the client doesn't have the functionality to handle that type of data.

Doc_Waldo
December 10th, 2010, 07:35
Alright that makes sense. I thought I would be tricky and created a "common" players dragon mag xml file, but then I couldn't use it for creating a character in the manager, so I then just change the name to "client" and everything worked fine.