PDA

View Full Version : Demo questions: characters

guttert
December 7th, 2010, 01:16
First, I have searched the forums for the following questions, but I didn't see them answered before.

Second, I'm very interested in FG2, and I'm planning to use the Demo with the test adventure. But I have a couple of questions.

For the player using the Demo game, are there stock characters to select, or does he have to create his own character?
I've started the Demo as a DM, and it appears that I cannot create characters for players to use, is that right?
Assuming the player has to create a local character for the Demo adventure, does he have to enter all the numbers manually? I thought maybe I could select a field, roll the die, and the value would auto populate the field.
I'm also not sure what the board to the side in the Demo is for . . . . the part where I roll 6 dice.

Not being able to save anything with the Demo, I'm concerned about the time to create a character and possibly losing it.
Thanks for helping.

Phystus
December 7th, 2010, 19:48
Welcome to the boards, guttert!

It's been a long time since I used the demo, but as I recall there aren't any stock characters. I don't remember if you could create characters as the DM or not, but in any case they wouldn't get saved when you shut the demo down, so unless you leave FG up from the time you create the characters until your player signs on, it wouldn't help.

I'm not sure what you mean by the board. Are you referring to the chat window (on the left side of the screen)?

I honestly wouldn't get too worried about having fully filled-in characters for the demo. When my players and I tried the demo we concentrated on making sure we could connect and exploring the features of the software rather than trying to play the adventure. That told us enough to decide to buy it, which is all we wanted from the demo, really.

~P

guttert
December 7th, 2010, 20:14
Thanks for answering.

It didn't seem like there were stock characters. We'll just create character sheets and try to do a quick character creation before starting the demo. (FYI, I'm a newbie at GM and I'm trying this with my brother who has not played D&D at all but is interested. So, he's trying both the game and the app.)

The character creation in the Demo seems very bugged. I created a character but can't add weapons and items or even add a portrait.

As for the board, when you click to create local character, there's an area with 2 tabs: Rolls and Points. On the Rolls tab, there are 6 lines to automatically record your dice throws.

I like the app, but really, this is one of the worst demos for anything that I've seen. :)

guttert
December 7th, 2010, 20:18
Actually, there's no point in creating a character in the Demo because it doesn't save. So, I guess you just join a Dmo game and see what you get. :)

Moon Wizard
December 9th, 2010, 08:30
The demo is very dated (at least a couple years). It's high on our list of items to update, but our focus has been on improvements.

Please check out the video tutorials in our Downloads section to see some examples of live usage.

Thanks,
JPG