PDA

View Full Version : Parser and DDI

devfrag
December 6th, 2010, 16:59
I picked up the ultimate version of FG2 recently. Maybe I'm showing up a little late to the FG2/DDI party, but since the new web based DDI character builder is available. Will this be the demise of the 4e Parser? Have there been any announcements about the data being available online going forward?

Thanks

Fot5
December 6th, 2010, 19:42
The parser doesn't read data from the character builder. Rather, it can scrape data from the DDI compendium, and it is currently still able to do that if you have a DDI subscription. Once you've scraped the data, you can create modules that are useful as you create a PC to play in someone else's game or as you create adventures for use as a GM.

There is a tool available from EugeneZ that imports data from the previous CB into FGII. However, currently, you cannot export data from the new CB, so I don't think that there is any way to input character data into FGII--you can only input it by hand.

drahkar
December 6th, 2010, 19:48
DrZuess is working on an importer I believe.

devfrag
December 6th, 2010, 21:46
The parser doesn't read data from the character builder. Rather, it can scrape data from the DDI compendium, and it is currently still able to do that if you have a DDI subscription. Once you've scraped the data, you can create modules that are useful as you create a PC to play in someone else's game or as you create adventures for use as a GM.

There is a tool available from EugeneZ that imports data from the previous CB into FGII. However, currently, you cannot export data from the new CB, so I don't think that there is any way to input character data into FGII--you can only input it by hand.

Ah, I see. Excellent news. To be honest the parser was a deciding factor for me picking up the ultimate edition. Having all of that data at your fingertips while GM'ing a campaign...It's just too awesome to pass up!!

Sweet, more excellent news!

Thanks for the quick responses!!

Zeus
December 7th, 2010, 00:00

I am? When did I say that?

drahkar
December 7th, 2010, 06:10
Apparently when I started taking hallucinogens. :( Sorry for the confusion on that.

I am? When did I say that?

Zeus
December 7th, 2010, 09:24
Apparently when I started taking hallucinogens. :( Sorry for the confusion on that.
LoL. No worries.

Pluvious
March 6th, 2011, 22:15

Just wondering how I would go about doing this? Can anyone explain this in simple language and where to get the parser? Thanks.

Fot5
March 6th, 2011, 22:25
Here is Tenian's blog, where he posts notices about parser updates: https://dnd-4e.blogspot.com/. You can download the current version here: https://tenian.eugenez.net/Parser/4EParser_4_0_118.msi. The easiest thing to do is to use the "scrape" function of the parser. I think that this is the currently closest thing to a parser tutorial: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84732&postcount=8.

Pluvious
March 6th, 2011, 22:52
Perfect. Thank you.

Pluvious
March 7th, 2011, 04:27
Actually, too technical. I went through the whole thing in the tutorial and seemed to do everything right but got an error.

Anyway, hopefully I can find another way to play and eventually DM here. I do not enjoy technical details.

Fot5
March 7th, 2011, 16:29
How about this https://www.edwolfe.net/dnd/parser_tutorial.avi? I put together a quick demo that shows how to download & install the parser, then use it to scrape and parse data from the DDI.

Also, while I was putting this together, I noticed that the DDI Compendium had a problem with its database yesterday and today where item data could not be retrieved. As a result, the 4e Parser was returning server errors on my scrape that included item data. This may have been the problem that you encountered.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pluvious
March 7th, 2011, 20:43
Thank you. Yes, that worked.