PDA

View Full Version : Script errors & crash in 2.0



dr_venture
December 6th, 2010, 03:28
Along with all the fantastic new features (yay!), unfortunately I'm seeing a fair number of script errors in the 2.0 C&C upgrade. I've only noticed it with the new (and very cool) drag-n-drop functions. The previous version was bullet-proof, but it also had very few bells and whistles. I'm happy to work through the issues to get a nicely featured and robust version 2.x.

I have an easily repeatable crash in the Combat Tracker:


Create a new campaign.
Load the Monsters module.
Open the Combat Tracker.
Open the Monsters module and select any monster and drag it into the Combat Tracker.
Try to open the monster's detail window by clicking on the little gray box to the far right of the monster's listing in the combat tracker.


RESULT: About 8 script errors are displayed in FG, and the program hard crashes with a system error.

I have tried the above with the beta and released version, and with & without the add-on 2.02 extension... happens with all of them.

FWIW, if I put a character into the combat tracker, the link box/button opens the character sheet just fine.

Screen shots to follow.

dr_venture
December 6th, 2010, 03:34
Screen shots - before & after clicking on the link in the combat tracker to the Monster's listing.

http://castlecorps.com/images/cnc_crash_before.jpg

http://castlecorps.com/images/cnc_crash_after.jpg

dr_venture
December 6th, 2010, 07:17
Minor correction: the link isn't a little grey box - it's a circle... but you know what I mean. Also, sorry for the double post. Thank you Starband satellite Internet (my old nemesis).

Sorcerer
December 6th, 2010, 07:40
I will have a look at this tonight when I get home.

in the mean time try dragging the monsters from the module to the personalities window first and then to the combat tracker.

this is a formating error.

C&C stores monsters in the monster module as <monster>, but the personalities window and combat tracker store them and use them as <NPC> the data must be translated to a common format. It seems in this case that it has been translated in to something the combat tracker can use -but it is unable to translate it back when you want to use the monster window again.

I was sure I had tried out all permutations, but obviously not...

I really wanted to change everything to use a single format, but due to backwards compatibility considerations I was stuck with what was already there.

anyway I'll get back to you - when i've had a chance to check it out.

dr_venture
December 6th, 2010, 07:48
3 cheers and a tiger for you! You are correct: dragging the monster first to the Personalities window, then to the Combat Tracker works fine. Sounds like you pegged that pretty quick.

I'll continue to mess around with 2.0 as I can in the next few days and see if I can nail anything else down as soon as possible. If you're going to roll something out at some point, might as well get as much low hanging fruit as possible.

Thanks again for the excellent new version!

Sorcerer
December 6th, 2010, 23:42
O.k. bug found and bug squashed (I hope).

Please find patch v2.03 in its own thread.

give it try and let me know if it fixes things at your end (and if I have broken anything whilst fixing it...)

dr_venture
December 7th, 2010, 01:03
Yep, you got it - looks good. I'm messing around with it now.