PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Campaign" in FGII

mattcolville
December 4th, 2010, 22:12
One organizational problem I'm having is understand how FGII organizes adventure info.

For instance, I imagine I'm going to run a game. A series of connected adventures complete with lots of data on the world. I create a new Campaign.

Now I start working on an adventure for the campaign, say We're All Doomed.

We're All Doomed has maps and encounters and NPCs. Ok, once they're all entered, I can /export to wrap them all up into a module.

But while this appears to work, and I get a module, it also leaves all that old data in the campaign. How do I clean up the campaign and get rid of the data I've just exported as a module?

Do people create a new campaign when they want to make an adventure, and then once the adventure module is exported, just delete the campaign, like it was scratch paper?

Presumably I'm doing something wrong. :D

ddavison
December 4th, 2010, 22:27
It depends on how much info is specific to your players. When I make adventure modules I plan to reuse for other players and campaigns, I follow these steps.

1. Create a new campaign named for the module I want to make
2. Create all the story entries, NPCs, items, maps, etc and link the stories to the maps, tokens to NPCs etc.
3. I export the module and name it appropriately.
4. I open the export file and give it a new thumbnail.png file

When I want to run that adventure for my players, I do this
1. Create a new campaign for my players or open an existing campaign
2. Open the module I want to run and proceed to play
3. When finished, I close the module and it removes any elements I haven't edited.
4. I manually delete any entries that I customized but no longer need.

mattcolville
December 4th, 2010, 22:31
Ok, that makes sense.

Seems like there's either a better way to organize things, or maybe just a less ambiguous way of naming things. If the expectation is that creating an adventure means creating a new campaign as a kind of scratch paper for building the adventure module, then maybe we need a different name other than "Campaign" or a better way to build, save, and load data.