PDA

View Full Version : How do I combine Mod's

Doc_Waldo
November 26th, 2010, 06:52
I have a 4E mod or "catalog" containing most of the powers; however, as different books come out, I would like to continue to add to it...how would I do this?

Along this same line, how would I create a simple "token" mode or "portfolio" mod, again that I can continue to add to as time goes on.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Doc_Waldo
December 1st, 2010, 09:07
Boy, I was sure hoping someone would know how to do this, bummer.

Zeus
December 1st, 2010, 23:14
Doc_Waldo - you don't specify how you create your modules however assuming your familiar with Tenian's 4EParser you can use a couple of its features to building incremental content.

Firstly, the 4EParser has a Catalog feature which outputs a module containing consolidated lists of powers. It works by scanning your FGII app folder/modules subfolder building an index of all 4E powers found in any 4E compatible modules. Its a push button approach and is easy to turn out updated versions by simply re-executing after new 4E modules have been created/added. Note however that you still require the source 4E modules with the content as the Catalog only contains reference links.

Secondly, the 4EParser enables you to scrape the DDI Compendium data into Parser compatible text files that can then be Parsed into 4E compatible modules. When scraping there is an option for 'Appending Data' to any existing text files as opposed to creating new ones, this way you can build a module over time. An example would be the Dragon magazines which are published monthly, each edition containing new Powers, Classes and other PC related material. You can either build individual modules for each edition, or using the Append feature build a single Dragon module containing all edition content.

Of course you can also build the text files the Parser makes use of for its source data manually e.g. cut n paste from a PDF etc thus you can then save these files and add to them in the future. You then just re-parse to update your module content.

If your not familiar with the 4EParser you can find the download link for the tool here (https://tenian.eugenez.net/Parser). Once downloaded and installed, locate the 4EParser link under Start->Programs and open the ParserDocument.txt, it contains the syntax the Parser uses when reading the source text files for generating the module.

Doc_Waldo
December 1st, 2010, 23:47
Perfect, solutions #1, the catalog is what I was after. I also will be using the append trick to keep my Dungeon/Dragon updated. Thanks again.