PDA

View Full Version : 4E Adventures

mattcolville
November 25th, 2010, 21:38
Are there any adventure modules that work with 4E? Either fan-made or third party? Free or pay?

Will a 3.5 adventure load? I see there are FG conversions of some Malhavoc products on RPGnow. Only a couple of bucks, but I'd rather know if I can load them in 4E_jpg before I buy it.

someoneinatree
November 26th, 2010, 01:42
ENWorld's War of the Burning Sky campaign has been converted to FG2 modules by EugeneZ; you have to subscribe/purchase the pdfs at ENWorld to gain access to the modules.

If you're a DDI subscriber, all adventures published in Dungeon magazine can be done pretty easily by using the 4E Parser to scrape all the npcs and grabbing the maps from their map galleries/the pdfs. This is how I run my Scales of War adventure path, and I just keep the pdf open in the background so I can copy and paste descriptive story text when it suits me.

Due to the nature of the 4E System Reference Document (SRD) and Game System Licence (GSL), you will find that it is rather difficult to produce and share adventures legally as complete modules. At best, any third-party adventure that uses NPCs and items that are published in the official 4E books will only mention them by name and expect you to have the Monster Manual or Adventurer's Vault (as examples, either through the physical book or DDI subscription) to look up the stats of the item/npc mentioned in the adventure.

someoneinatree
November 26th, 2010, 02:19
I might also add that the 4E GSL/SRD is in dire need of an update, as it only licenses references to the PHB1, PHB2, DMG1, MM1, MM2 and AV1. Monsters/items/powers/classes/races outside of these publications are currently unavailable to be referenced in 3rd party publishing. Original content can of course be published... but even then, the MM3 stat block template is currently unavailable for use!

Fot5
November 26th, 2010, 15:10
What chezcaliente says is my understanding. For the most part, you'll need to create your own adventures either by directly inputting them into FGII or inputting them via the parser. This process is a good bit easier if you input from a PDF. You can find some 4e adventures in PDF format at https://www.rpgnow.com, although I don't know about the quality of the various products offered there. Provided you have the basic data from a compendium scrape, it would probably be easy to adapt any of these to FGII.

You won't be able to use a 3.5 product with the 4e ruleset because those products were created for a different ruleset.

EugeneZ
November 28th, 2010, 11:08
EDIT: Errr... never mind. The contents of this post may have been inaccurate, I gotta do some checking around...

Tisben
August 11th, 2011, 04:51
I have a enworld paid subscription. Thus having access to WOTBS. Where can I get the fg2 conversions, please?

Thanks,

Tis

EugeneZ
August 11th, 2011, 22:34
I have a enworld paid subscription. Thus having access to WOTBS. Where can I get the fg2 conversions, please?

Thanks,

Tis

They're on the WotBS homepage, here:

https://www.enworld.org/ap/wotbs.html

Click the Resources link. For some reason they only have up to #6. I finished and sent off #7 a while back, I'll get in touch with Morrus about this. #8 is almost done, too.

Tisben
August 12th, 2011, 02:44
Thanks Eugene,

And a huge thanks for the conversion you have done.

Take care,

Tis

ShaneB
August 12th, 2011, 12:27
The interesting thing about the 4E GSL is that you can change the descriptive text and the name of the powers, create a new name for the monster and wella, legal use (this is my understanding anyway)

ie you cant use "Orc Beserker" as the name of the monster, but you can use "Raging Flameclan Warrior" as the name of the monster, that basically has nearly identical powers, and it would pass GSL...

EDIT: Actually if some of the published material is anything to go by you could use "Raging Flameclan Orc Warrior"