PDA

View Full Version : Effects on Powers

mattcolville
November 24th, 2010, 07:21
Ok, I haven't given up. :D

I have one player running a Dwarven Fighter with Battlerage Vigor which means when he hits with an Invigorating Power, he gets Temp HP equal to twice his con +2. If he misses with an invigorating power, he gets his Con +2, if he hits with any other kind of power, he gets a straight +2.

Now, parsing "Invigorating" I realize is too much, but is there a way to code On Hit and On Miss effects? That seems within the bounds of reason, but I couldn't find a keyword for it in the userguide.

Now I realize there are limits to what the effects can do. I believe, for instance, my friend the Seeker's ability to penalize his target *and all enemies adjacent to the target* with a -2 on attack won't work automatically, but the -2 attack penalty to the target alone will work. But I thought this Temp HP On Hit and On Miss was within the parameters.

Moon Wizard
November 24th, 2010, 07:40
The attack rolls, damage rolls, heal rolls and effects within power entries are not linked. While I would like to link them together some day, they retain maximum flexibility as separate abilities for each power.

For your invigorating fighter situation, I would actually make 2 situational power entries labeled "Attack - Hit" and "Attack - Miss". Then, add a healing ability to each of those powers. Set the correct healing amount and the temporary heal type. This is how I handled it for the fighter in my group.

One thing to note, the 4E ruleset was streamlined for automating as much as possible of the Core rulebooks for 4E. Any content in expansion books may not be handled directly, depending on the mechanic. Expanding the automation capabilities of the 4E ruleset for additional mechanics is on the wish list, and a topic specific to my game as well.

Cheers,
JPG

mattcolville
November 24th, 2010, 07:46
Ok, what's a Situational Power? Is that a FG2 term, or just common parlance for "a power I only use in certain situations?"

And do you mean just make two extra powers? So if the player hits with his Invigorating Power, he then just double clicks on the effect from the Attack- Hit power he created?

Moon Wizard
November 24th, 2010, 08:02
The short answer is yes. I'm suggesting that you make two new powers in the Situational section of the powers tab, where each power is associated with a single heal roll. Just use the right click radial menu to add a power ability (attack/damage, heal, effect) to a new power.

I made up the name "situational power" section to provide a mechanism for people to track any feature, ability or power that is dependent on a situation. I can also see this as a good place for triggered powers, depending on your preference.

Here are some examples of situational powers that I specify in my game:
* "Sneak Attack" (rogue)
* "Prime Shot" (warlock)
* "Attack - Miss" (fighter, hammer rhythm)
* "Action Point - Others" (warlord)
* "Attack vs. Undead" (shadowfell blade)

Cheers,
JPG

mattcolville
November 24th, 2010, 08:06
Sounds good to me! Seems like a good compromise between doing everything manually and having FGII automate everything.

Fot5
November 24th, 2010, 19:12
As Moon Wizard mentions, I find the situational powers to be a good place to put anything that you want to bring attention to because they are at the top of the list. I put anything there that is triggered, interrupts, or applies in special situations (e.g., a dwarve's cast iron stomach, which only applies to poison saves).

For the example that you mention, I would do it one of two ways (depending on how many powers it applies to): A) Create a situational power named "battlerager vigor" or B) Add a note "battlerager vigor" to each power that it applies to and then add a power entry to each of those powers. In your case, the latter is probably a lot more work than is necessary, but that approach works well when the situational power only applies to a few other powers.

In either case, you can right click on the new power to add an ability entry (the arrow symbol--I think that one would do for the temporary hit points), then click on the + sign to turn it into a healing power. Then click the TRGT to change to SELF, then click on the TYPE box until it says TEMP, then click on the arrow beside the dice box to reveal the healing details, then click on the first dashed box until it reads CON. Then the player only needs to double click on the die after attacking in order to apply the temporary hit points to self.

Of course, you could also add an effect that reads DMG: 1 or DMG: 2 to handle the special damage bonuses mentioned in the power.

DNH
November 29th, 2010, 14:55
Hadn't really thought of using these like this until I saw it on here but of course it's a brilliant mechanism and I am plugging all sorts of things into it now.

One question though, more RAW than FG2, which I can't seem to find an answer for atm: with Battlerager Vigour, should it not be Con + level modifier that is applied as temporary HP? Only, if it isn't, then it gets increasingly irrelevant as the Fighter goes up in levels.

Moon Wizard
December 5th, 2010, 16:07
I just checked the compendium, and that's still the text for Battlerager Vigor fighter feature.

"... you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier, plus any temporary hit points normally granted by the power."

Cheers,
JPG