PDA

View Full Version : Player map and Mac users

kingcaboose
November 21st, 2010, 08:02
Quick question, in order to get around perfomance issues resulting from sharing images I've created modules to give to the players which has the primary maps that they will be playing on.

The interesting thing though is that the GM cant control the scale or position of the map like you would be able to if it passed it to the client cache. Is there any way for the GM to set the position of the map? BTW reason for asking is that the mac version of a right click is not viable for getting the player to set their own position.

Zeus
November 21st, 2010, 09:15
BTW reason for asking is that the mac version of a right click is not viable for getting the player to set their own position.

I'm curious to understand why you believe the Mac version of a mouse right click is not viable? I run FGII on an iMac and have left, middle and right mouse button functionality. All works for me.

You will need to configure the mouse settings in System Preferences as I recall Apple do not enable right mouse button clicks by default. I think its delivered by default by holding down the Apple or Option key and left clicking.

In addition you can enable middle mouse button support by downloading a free application call MagicMousePrefs. It allows you to customise the touch surface of Apple's latest mouse to support pretty much any access functionality you desire, including scrolling, launching apps etc. etc.

kingcaboose
November 21st, 2010, 09:49
Interesting I'll pass on this information to the player using the mac as he is using the new touch mouse and see if he can do so. Still the issue remains regarding GM being able to set the position of a map shared via a module.

VenomousFiligree
November 21st, 2010, 10:10
I'm using an iMac too, with the Touch Mouse, and have right mouse button functionality.

Sorcerer
November 21st, 2010, 10:15
I don't think this is possible with a module, once you give it to them they are in control of it.

instead of creating a module with the maps in it send them a cache file.

Start up your campaign, and then start up a second instance of FG on the same computer.
Open up your images one by one and share them.

The shared image should be 'downloaded' into your local cache folder.

then simply disconnect and zip up the cache folder and send it to the players.
they drop it in their cache folder.

the images should act as if you had shared them via the internet (i.e you have the same control as before). added benefit should be that they can't easily look at them before hand.

cache folder should be in your apps data folder, with a subfolder with your campaign name (will not exist until you connect to yourself as a player)

I have to caution that I have never done this myself, but I'm sure I read about it here on the forum...somewhere.

kingcaboose
November 21st, 2010, 21:21
I've tried the cache file but it's not reliable. There's certain circumstances where it will re download upon sharing the image again.

Sorcerer
November 21st, 2010, 21:28
ah then I'm not sure what else you can do.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

Griogre
November 22nd, 2010, 07:41
It's not possible for the GM to set the position for the map except by sharing. If you want the players to see everything on a map in a module you have to keep the map smaller than the max frame size for the ruleset.

kingcaboose
November 22nd, 2010, 10:36
Thanks for the responses. I hope in the near future a way to control the module images like you can control the cached images might be a consideration. This is probably the only flaw I can see in the otherwise great tool.

Astinus
November 22nd, 2010, 20:39
Not sure if I'm missing something, but I distribute all maps by module. Have done for years. And I have no problem zooming in, sharing that view with the players, changing the zoom/position and so on.

Are you trying to do something other than that?

kingcaboose
November 23rd, 2010, 00:32
It works, its more about making it easier. If I as the GM can set the scale and position it means there's less mucking around when players lose their place or when I need them to find, on a large map where they are. Having to right click while left clicking to lock the position may not sound hard but it can be frustraiting for some players.