PDA

View Full Version : Close Blast Miscalculation

Doc_Waldo
November 13th, 2010, 10:46
In entering a Monk power that uses a close blast, and an implement, I have noticed that it does not add in the implement magic enhancement to hit (+1); however, it does add it in on melee attacks.

I am assuming this because on attack with a power that uses melee range, it says [Attack (M)] and on close blast 2, it says [Attack (C)].

I can't seem to figure out why it does add in the additional bonus to hit. Both powers can be identical, except for one says "Melee" and the other says "Close Blast". In fact if I add a "Melee Close Blast", it adds in the bonus, but also changes the attack to "M".

The problem or issue is that the additional bonus is actually suppose to be added. Any suggestions besides my workaround of having to put "Melee" in front of all my burst/blast attacks? Also, could you let me know what the calculation is?

Thanks.

Griogre
November 14th, 2010, 01:08
Out of curiosity does the power have the implement keyword? If you want it to use the implement bonuses instead of a weapon bonuses you need to make sure there is no weapon keyword and make sure there *is* an implement keyword.

Doc_Waldo
November 14th, 2010, 01:11
Implement keyword is there and correctly spelled, and weapon is not. I confirmed my default implement selection is correct.

Moon Wizard
November 14th, 2010, 09:57
Doc,

Can you give me more information on what you are doing?

* All the implement details from the Combat tab
* All the power details from the Powers tab

Screenshots would work great. Make sure to expand the details before taking the screenshots. You can take screenshots by pressing PrtScrn, and looking for the files in the application data directory (FG2 Start Menu folder link).

Thanks,
JPG

Doc_Waldo
November 16th, 2010, 06:31
I think I may have figured out my problem. The main thing is you didn't come back and say "Hey, nice catch", meaning it is most-likely on my side that I am doing something wrong. What would be helpful is if you can tell me how the bonus for powers are calculated. If not I will do it via trail and error and track what I am doing wrong.

Moon Wizard
November 21st, 2010, 21:50
The bonuses for powers are calculated as follows (matching the fields in the power details):

Attack = [1/2 level] + [Ability mod (if any)] + [Number]

Damage = [Dice] + [Ability mod 1 (if any)] + [Ability mod 2 (if any)] + [Number]

For damage, each ability mod can also be adjusted to 1/2x or 2x.

When a power is used which has the weapon or implement keyword, the ruleset will use the specific focus assigned to that power, or the focus specified in the default fields at the top of the page.

Attack += [Focus Attack Bonus Number]
Damage += [Focus Damage Bonus Number]

The remaining fields in the weapon/implement entry will be ignored for powers, except for critical dice/bonus which is used for critical rolls.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
JPG