PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit version?

kingcaboose
November 13th, 2010, 06:03
Just wondering if there are any plans to do a 64bit version? Fantasy Grounds can chug a lot of memory so 64bit would mean more available memory.

ddavison
November 13th, 2010, 23:51
We have not investigated the difficulty in creating and maintaining a 64-bit version at this time. We will put it on our list of items to discuss.

Sigurd
November 14th, 2010, 17:15
My guess is that maintaining two versions would be a painful thing. A 32 bit version can be used by both platforms and FG is not inherently a demanding program.
I hope there's an elegant solution at some stage to reduce FG's memory reqs rather than cutting out the 32bit market for more. Fingers crossed...

kingcaboose
November 14th, 2010, 22:37
Is it a Dot Net application? As a .Net developer I know its just a matter of changing a flag in the build. But I can understand if this isn't your focus at this stage. It's no biggy just means I have to be careful with libraries, modules and resources.

ddavison
November 15th, 2010, 05:30
It is a C++ application. There might actually be a compile flag we can change to compile two different versions but it gets a little tricky due to all the library dependencies we use as well. We might get lucky and find that it all works without much effort -- it just takes some research time and lots of testing time to make sure it didn't break anything.

kingcaboose
November 15th, 2010, 07:55
Yes C++ is much tricker. No problem thanks for the info.

Bidmaron
January 29th, 2011, 16:15
How would 64 bit help? Unless they changed their code to re-type variables and so on to use 64 bit (and that would likely be non-trivial and would come close to doubling the memory requirements for no gain I can think of), everything that is 32 bit would stay that way. Even just making it a 64 bit application (even assuming no problems with library connections) seems to me would require more memory with no gain.